cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadmaster or Hellwig

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to install a sway bar on my Ram 3500. Which one would you recommend? Roadmaster or Hellwig Bigwig
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K
ORV 24RLS Titanium (Sold)
2015 Adventurer 86FB (Sold)
14 REPLIES 14

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a GM truck and I went with the Roadmaster because of the way it attached to the rear of the frame, instead of attaching to the midsection of the frame.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having not ever even looked at a sway bar:
Are they easy to disconnect? (Like a couple easy to get to bolts type thing)
And does leaving what ever part is being disconnected bad or potentially bad while driving it around? (As in anything hanging down to get caught on a curb, speed hump,etc)
And a they easy to temporarily detach on some truck brands and a pain on others?
Thanks for the lesson in advance. ๐Ÿ™‚
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

silverbullet02
Explorer
Explorer
I have the roadmaster and it has worked great for me. I'm currently camperless, but now and if I didn't plan on using the camper for a couple months or more I take it off, only takes 5-10 minutes. Makes the truck ride stiffer than the 19.5s did unloaded.
2007 Dodge 2500 QCLB, 5.9 Cummins---Roadmaster sway bar, Rancho RS9000's, Firestone air bags, Rickson 19.5 wheels, Michelin XDS2 225/70's.
2007 Arctic Fox 811

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
We chose the Roadmaster over the Hellwig for our Ram 3500 SRW because it mounted to the axle housing in a more outboard, OEM fashion, at the bottom of the shock mounts. The Hellwig mounts more inboard with a clamp around the axle making it less effective IMO. We also installed lower Stable Loads (stainless steel versions). They offered some improvement in sag, handling, and even reduced sway slightly (at highway speeds)โ€”-nothing dramatic. They work especially well when used in conjunction with slightly pressurized airbags.

I bought a Hellwig for my '03 2500 RAM. I was not happy with the mounting setup to the axle, as it clamps right at the point the axle tubes go into the differential casting. The Roadmaster picks up the stock mounting points on the shock brackets, further out, so the bar does not need to be as thick to have the same effect.

The Hellwig has been sitting in the box for a couple of years now, I guess I ought to get rid of it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

ADA6969
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed Roadmaster 1 3/8" Installed easy works in credible Don't know I have a 1150 camper in bed.
2012 RAM 3500DRW MAX TOW 4WD AUTO STD CAB ST DIESEL STABLE LOADS AIR BAGS AND RS9000XLS, ROADMASTER 1 3/8" REAR SWAY BAR 2021 AF 1150 DRY BATH TOWING 2017 JEEP RUBICON JKU BUILT. OR 2020 JEEP RUBICON JL BUILT

billsnp5
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2020 DRW with factory airbags and the Roadmaster will not work on it. Helwig does not have one yet for it but is working on one. It was suppose to be available end of March but I called last week and it is still in development.
2021 Host Cascade
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel
2013 Phoenix 721 Bass Boat

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah OK, missed that you upgraded to a dually.

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
The Roadmaster bar is 1-5/8โ€ in diameter, wonโ€™t fit truck with air suspension.

No air suspension here...
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K

Fishhunter
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
I see you had a bigwig on the old truck, why are you considering a Roadmaster this time around? Also, I see you had StableLoads on the old truck, are you planning to put those on the new truck too?

I just ordered a set for my SRW and am excited to see what difference they make.

Just read some good reviews on the Roadmaster..Iโ€™m gonna wait till The new truck gets here and load up the TC and see how it handles as it is a DRW. My 2015 was a SRW and the sway bar made a lot of difference. Havenโ€™t made up my mind on the Stableloads yet.
2021Ram 3500 DRW
2020 Arctic Fox 29-5K

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We chose the Roadmaster over the Hellwig for our Ram 3500 SRW because it mounted to the axle housing in a more outboard, OEM fashion, at the bottom of the shock mounts. The Hellwig mounts more inboard with a clamp around the axle making it less effective IMO. We also installed lower Stable Loads (stainless steel versions). They offered some improvement in sag, handling, and even reduced sway slightly (at highway speeds)โ€”-nothing dramatic. They work especially well when used in conjunction with slightly pressurized airbags.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see you had a bigwig on the old truck, why are you considering a Roadmaster this time around? Also, I see you had StableLoads on the old truck, are you planning to put those on the new truck too?

I just ordered a set for my SRW and am excited to see what difference they make.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Roadmaster bar is 1-5/8โ€ in diameter, wonโ€™t fit truck with air suspension.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you go with the Hellwig, get the biggest one. I didn't and wish I would have.

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a stock sway bar on the front, and added a Bigwig on the back. I believe it has 3 settings. I had to call their cust. support once to get the best setting to use. On a Sunday afternoon, just before dinner I had a tech. on the first ring. Amazing,....knew his stuff too.
I am very happy with the product,....AND the service. I don't know anything about Roadmaster.