cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2008 Eagle Cap 855 in Canada

hinterland
Explorer
Explorer
Hi There, Just curious if anyone has this Eagle Cap? We are looking at it tomorrow to put on a 2014 GMC Duramax Crew Cab, Long Box, SRW.
It Just Doesn't Matter Who Owns the Grass Outside our Window!
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
23 REPLIES 23

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Sent you a PM...

hinterland
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we are getting a model of the EC that was before Adventurer "improved" "cut costs" on the EC. That might be why there are no brochures to be found anywhere??

3 tons wrote:
FWIW,

Eagle Cap of La Grande OR was bought and brought out of bankruptcy in about 2006 by Okanaganโ€™s Owner Chris Epp...It was in this era that ECโ€™s began to gain some design influence from Okanaganโ€™s innovative design team...In about 2011 Chris (due to illness) sold Eagle Cap to his brother James Epp, the Owner of Adventurer in Canada who later relocated the EC factory from La Grande to the former post 2008 bankrupt Alpenlite facility in Yakama, WA.

The second build generation ECโ€™s (beginning about a year before ECโ€™s 2006 bankruptcy) had (*) full front and rear fiberglass caps and true fiberglass sidewalls (no luan underlayment), but was discontinued at Yakama due to cost, and replaced with a premium Lamilux 4000 high luster roll-out material...

*this industry leading redesign and material upgrade (pre-bankruptcy) was intended to overcome the many first generation costly warranty delamination re-works due to water intrusion, by avoiding the use of industry standard luan and filon....It was this costly redesign that helped lead to first generation ECโ€™s bankruptcy...

3 tons
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW,

Eagle Cap of La Grande OR was bought and brought out of bankruptcy in about 2006 by Okanaganโ€™s Owner Chris Epp...It was in this era that ECโ€™s began to gain some design influence from Okanaganโ€™s innovative design team...In about 2011 Chris (due to illness) sold Eagle Cap to his brother James Epp, the Owner of Adventurer in Canada who later relocated the EC factory from La Grande to the former post 2008 bankrupt Alpenlite facility in Yakama, WA.

The second build generation ECโ€™s (beginning about a year before ECโ€™s 2006 bankruptcy) had (*) full front and rear fiberglass caps and true fiberglass sidewalls (no luan underlayment), but was discontinued at Yakama due to cost, and replaced with a premium Lamilux 4000 high luster roll-out material...

*this industry leading redesign and material upgrade (pre-bankruptcy) was intended to overcome the many first generation costly warranty delamination re-works due to water intrusion, by avoiding the use of industry standard luan and filon....It was this costly redesign that helped lead to first generation ECโ€™s bankruptcy...

3 tons

hinterland
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
I stand corrected. It appears that the old 855 was a lot lighter than any of the models currently available. Even so that 3275# estimate will turn out to be on the low side. Check this brochure and you will quickly see the weight is for a stripped down model without microwave, without awnings, not even a TV antenna or a stereo.
https://recreationalvehicles.info/2010-alp-eagle-cap-truck-campers/2010-alp-eagle-cap-truck-campers-brochure.pdf

That 3275# estimate is likely to hit a loaded weight, minus passengers, well over 4000# and probably closer to 4500#.

Looks like the 2008 855 was built before the brand was bought by Adventurer. There is no microwave etc. So, will be watching the weight at the scales. Thank you
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

hinterland
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
Good luck, had our 995 since new in 2009 and its been outstanding...

3 tons

Thank You!
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, had our 995 since new in 2009 and its been outstanding...

3 tons

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Bert the Welder wrote:

If his truck payload is 3800+ as he stated, I'd think he could push up to 4200 and be fine.......

Except tires, not suspension, are usually the limitation. Personally I worry driving on substantially overloaded tires. Going to 19.5 wheels and rims is very expensive. Depending on rim size trying to go to oversized tires with higher load ratings may be difficult and might mean a substantial change in tire circumference and driving characteristics.

Anyway, it seems that the OP has decided on the EC. Hopefully we will get a report on the actual loaded weight.

Yes, agree. I was thinking in terms of how the combo acts (sway/porposing, etc) when I said "handling".

Tires should, to me, always be the first thing looked at when someone wants to push the lbs they're loading. And if swapping out wheels, other then 19.5's, one definitely needs to check tire selection/availability for the the rim size they are looking at. That and rim fit were what took the longest when I up'd my rims/tires from stock. And I wanted with-in spec fit, not "yeah, should be OK" fit, as I heard from one place when inquiring about rim to tire fit. I did need her lifted a bit for the new wheels.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bert the Welder wrote:

If his truck payload is 3800+ as he stated, I'd think he could push up to 4200 and be fine.......

Except tires, not suspension, are usually the limitation. Personally I worry driving on substantially overloaded tires. Going to 19.5 wheels and rims is very expensive. Depending on rim size trying to go to oversized tires with higher load ratings may be difficult and might mean a substantial change in tire circumference and driving characteristics.

Anyway, it seems that the OP has decided on the EC. Hopefully we will get a report on the actual loaded weight.

hinterland
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up buying the Eagle Cap, real nice solid unit and well made. Thanks for all the feedback.
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
I stand corrected. It appears that the old 855 was a lot lighter than any of the models currently available. Even so that 3275# estimate will turn out to be on the low side. Check this brochure and you will quickly see the weight is for a stripped down model without microwave, without awnings, not even a TV antenna or a stereo.
https://recreationalvehicles.info/2010-alp-eagle-cap-truck-campers/2010-alp-eagle-cap-truck-campers-brochure.pdf

That 3275# estimate is likely to hit a loaded weight, minus passengers, well over 4000# and probably closer to 4500#.

I immediately thought the same. "Eagle Cap? Those are HUGE!" But then I saw it was a comparatively small one to modern units.

If his truck payload is 3800+ as he stated, I'd think he could push up to 4200 and be fine. Maybe some bags and a sway bar. If getting into the 4500+lb range, IMO and experience, it's not worth the blood pressure. My current pair is quite mismatched but the truck with add-ons handles the weight. It's just a 'heads-up' type of driving and gets more tiresome the older I get. LOL! Looking forward to the new dually.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
hinterland wrote:
Glove box sticker in the GMC says slide in camper max 3834 lbs

So that's a 2500?

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
hinterland wrote:
He is looking at the Eagle Cap right now, will let you know what he decides. He was also looking at an Okanaga, 10'5", for half the price, but a 1997 in excellent condition.

I've currently got an 96 Okanagan 10.5 and a 98 GMC 2500 (3500# rims and E tires, Ranchos 9000XL's and air bags) Definitely too much TC for the 2500. New rig is an NL 10.2LE dry bath and I went straight for a F350 dually. My GMC "handled" the Okanagan fine. Could use a heavy anti-sway bar. This time around I wanted no doubts and no mod's if possible.

Just for my own knowledge, what's the Okanagan your friend's looking at priced at? Hoping to sell my truck and TC as a package.

hinterland
Explorer
Explorer
He is looking at the Eagle Cap right now, will let you know what he decides. He was also looking at an Okanaga, 10'5", for half the price, but a 1997 in excellent condition.
OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II