Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Battery price question...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery price question...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's time to replace the single 12V we have on our trailer. We do boondock from time to time so I have been reading a lot on these forums about 6V vs 12V. My question here is, where are these inexpensive 6V batteries I keep reading about? When I read the 12V vs 6V discussions I always see someone say to use 2 6volts and you will get 200+ Ah and they are less expensive. I am not seeing that. Duracell and others I can find seem to be starting around $120 and going up for the golf cart battery which is the same price as many size 27 12V 100 Ah. Seems to me I could just buy 2 12V and have similar Ah. So I guess I am just not seeing the cost savings. What am I missing? Thanks

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6V is $89.88 at Sam's Club and they are true deep cycle and may last longer.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Seems to me I could just buy 2 12V and have similar Ah. So I guess I am just not seeing the cost savings. What am I missing? Thanks

you are missing nothing.
bumpy

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we do about the same ,not real hard on the battery. I,ve bought mine at wal mart ,the biggest deep cycle that will fit the box. battery life depends on how you take care of it. when we return from a trip I charge the battery ,then put my battery tender on the battery ready for the next outing. mine are four years old still in great shape.p.s check water few times .

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6V is not about the cost, as two inexpensive 6V still cost more than most 12V batteries. 6V or GC2 batteries take more abuse and have larger power reserves.

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beyond cost,space is also a consideration. 2 GC2s take up less space than 2 Group 31s which would be required to get the same capacity.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

6V is not about the cost, as two inexpensive 6V still cost more than most 12V batteries. 6V or GC2 batteries take more abuse and have larger power reserves.

This is a "depends" situation.

If you compare 2 Group 24 or Group 27 "RV/Marine" batteries, to two 6V GC2 size batteries on price alone then you are sort of correct.

HOWEVER, 2 group24 or Group 27 "RV/Marine" batteries will not give you not as much Ahr capacity of one pair of 6V GC2 batteries.

Group24 has roughly 60Ahr of capacity, costs about $60 for one, two would be $120 and you get 120Ahr of capacity.

Group 27 has roughly 70Ar of capacity, costs about $70 each, two would be $140 and 140Ahr of capacity.

6V GC2 batteries can be found at Sam's Club or Costco for around $90 each and have roughly 210 Ahr of capacity! 6V batteries when wired in series to get 12V don't add capacity but with 210Ahr that is far more capacity than Group24 or group 27. One PAIR of 6V GC2s costs about $180.

To get near the same Ahr capacity of one pair of GC2s you would need FOUR group 24s ($240) or THREE Group 27s ($210).. Plus lots of additional interconnect cables.

Another issue with group24/27 or any "RV/Marine" battery is they are a "hybrid" between "starting" and "deep cycle", they have "trade offs" which make them not as good for starting and "deep cycle" use..

Group24/27 RV/marine batteries should not be discharged very deep if you want any hopes of getting much life out of them. The shallower discharge, the better life you get from them.. Basically 20%-50% of the capacity is usable..

GC2 batteries on the other hand are designed to be able to withstand as much as 80% of the capacity being used and suffer no harm in life. So you can use GC2 batteries much longer than Group24/27 RV/marine batteries between charges.

As far as OPs question of where to find GC2 batteries, look up your nearest Sam's Club or Costco club, they typically will have them in stock for the lowest prices you are going to find..

Barring that, look up a Batteries Plus store or a NAPA store (although you will pay top dollar at those stores, they will be able to get GC2 batteries for you).

Now, I am sure someone will mention another 12V battery, a Group31, sure you could go that route, but they are insanely priced $240-$300 EACH) and with 135Ahr of capacity it still would take TWO of those to be equivalent to one pair of GC2s in Ahr. Not to mention two group31 would cost a mere $480-$600 and you would have same discharge limitations of the group24/27 RV/marine batteries..

Just because it says "RV/marine" doesn't mean it is a good choice if you need max discharge capacity and max life.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

kfp673 wrote:

Seems to me I could just buy 2 12V and have similar Ah. So I guess I am just not seeing the cost savings. What am I missing? Thanks

you are missing nothing.

Not likely to have similar Ah rating OR the similar price.

Golf cart batteries are specifically designed to put out "modest" amounts of current as opposed to hugs amounts for a starting battery) over long periods of time. They will last longer.

Gdetrailer wrote:

Another issue with group24/27 or any "RV/Marine" battery is they are a "hybrid" between "starting" and "deep cycle", they have "trade offs" which make them not as good for starting and "deep cycle" use.

This has been stated HUNDREDS of time on this forum !

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan on HEAVY inverter loads then 12 volt have an edge.

If you just use a 300 watt inverter then twin six volts have the edge.

Capacity is king. Judge by cost per amp-hour at the 20 hour rate.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you boondock and will need lots of battery power then two batteries will be much better. If you will not need much power boondocking or just boondock overnight then one 12 is fine.

One reason for two 6's and not 2 12's is the 6's can be run in "series", which means they work together to make 12 volts. If one battery is of less capacity then it will not drain the other one down trying to "level" the charge between the two.
With 12's if one battery is lower, lets say one maxes out at 13.4 volts and the other at 13.6, then the 13.4 will always be draining the other down to 13.4 yet never increase the charge. It gets worse the lower the low battery is.
WIth a pair of 12's you always want to buy them as a pair of the same age, and replace them as a pair. WIth 6's you are free of this. It will not matter.
6's are easy to find anywhere, auto parts store, big box store all over the nation. finding a true deep cycle 12 anywhere is much harder to find. When traveling on the road this will matter if one battery needs to be replaced.
You DO NOT want a "marine" battery for an RV, esp for boondocking. These batts are meant for boating, not camping.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery price question...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.