Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Battery price question...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery price question...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

philh wrote:

6V is not about the cost, as two inexpensive 6V still cost more than most 12V batteries. 6V or GC2 batteries take more abuse and have larger power reserves.

This is a "depends" situation.

If you compare 2 Group 24 or Group 27 "RV/Marine" batteries, to two 6V GC2 size batteries on price alone then you are sort of correct.

HOWEVER, 2 group24 or Group 27 "RV/Marine" batteries will not give you not as much Ahr capacity of one pair of 6V GC2 batteries.

Group24 has roughly 60Ahr of capacity, costs about $60 for one, two would be $120 and you get 120Ahr of capacity.

Group 27 has roughly 70Ar of capacity, costs about $70 each, two would be $140 and 140Ahr of capacity.

6V GC2 batteries can be found at Sam's Club or Costco for around $90 each and have roughly 210 Ahr of capacity! 6V batteries when wired in series to get 12V don't add capacity but with 210Ahr that is far more capacity than Group24 or group 27. One PAIR of 6V GC2s costs about $180.

To get near the same Ahr capacity of one pair of GC2s you would need FOUR group 24s ($240) or THREE Group 27s ($210).. Plus lots of additional interconnect cables.

Another issue with group24/27 or any "RV/Marine" battery is they are a "hybrid" between "starting" and "deep cycle", they have "trade offs" which make them not as good for starting and "deep cycle" use..

Group24/27 RV/marine batteries should not be discharged very deep if you want any hopes of getting much life out of them. The shallower discharge, the better life you get from them.. Basically 20%-50% of the capacity is usable..

GC2 batteries on the other hand are designed to be able to withstand as much as 80% of the capacity being used and suffer no harm in life. So you can use GC2 batteries much longer than Group24/27 RV/marine batteries between charges.

As far as OPs question of where to find GC2 batteries, look up your nearest Sam's Club or Costco club, they typically will have them in stock for the lowest prices you are going to find..

Barring that, look up a Batteries Plus store or a NAPA store (although you will pay top dollar at those stores, they will be able to get GC2 batteries for you).

Now, I am sure someone will mention another 12V battery, a Group31, sure you could go that route, but they are insanely priced $240-$300 EACH) and with 135Ahr of capacity it still would take TWO of those to be equivalent to one pair of GC2s in Ahr. Not to mention two group31 would cost a mere $480-$600 and you would have same discharge limitations of the group24/27 RV/marine batteries..

Just because it says "RV/marine" doesn't mean it is a good choice if you need max discharge capacity and max life.

You could probably close this thread as everything that needs to be said about comparing 6v to 12v has been said very well right here. These are the reasons I went with 6v last year.

Now, the only issue is the OP said single 12v battery, and with 6v you must have 2.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

6V is $89.88 at Sam's Club and they are true deep cycle and may last longer.

Ditto on that And let me mention that Battleborn Lithium Battery co did a test of 12V, 6V and Lithium batteries and found that the 6V was the most cost effective tho they do their best to hide that fact in the video

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis

Glass Creek area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“GC2 batteries on the other hand are designed to be able to withstand as much as 80% of the capacity being used and suffer no harm in life.“

That isn’t what Trojan says.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of 12 volt car batteries I purchased over the last year were well over $120, GC2 6 volt batteries can be purchased for less at Samsclub or Costco. Did the two 12 volt battery set-up every time we got a brand new RV since dealer would always installed a 12 volt, we would have them add another battery since we do lots of RVing off the power grid.

Was never satisfied with their performance, would trade them out for a pair of 6 volt golfcart batteries from Samsclub after a year. Current pair are 5 years old and doing great, paid about $130 for the set. We use more gas on a single RV trip than what I pay for at least 8 years of reliable 12 volt reserves, proper charging and watering is paramount.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to mr andj why not use deep cycle marine , my rv is 10 years old and I,ve used wal mart deep cycle ,with no problems.I,m on my second set now and there in good shape.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

to mr andj why not use deep cycle marine , my rv is 10 years old and I,ve used wal mart deep cycle ,with no problems.I,m on my second set now and there in good shape.

"deep cycle marine" is the same as RV/Marine, nothing special about them and they ARE a "compromise" between "starting" and "deep cycle". With that "compromise", they do either "job" equally poor and drawing them down deeply WILL result in less charge/discharge cycles.

I used to use a group 27 in my old TT, that battery had just enough guts to power a 12K BTU furnace over night and some lights.. By morning the battery was heavily discharged. I regularly killed Group27 batteries, only got two yrs per battery..

My current TT has a 30K BTU furnace and a 120V home fridge conversion plus LED lights.. Have leftover battery capacity by morning.. So far with that setup using just one pair of 6V GC2s I am got a minimum of 9 yrs for the first set of GC2s.. Could have stretched it to 10 or 11 yrs but did notice some reduction in capacity.. Not bad for a set of batteries, I feel I am getting my moneys worth out of them..

Those "marine deepcycle" batteries would NEVER hold up as well as the GC2s and it would take a bunch of those "Marine deepcycles" to even come close to the capacity of the GC2s.

But, I get it, some folks seem to be scared of that one silly little interconnect cable and seem to be scared that one 6V battery fails they would have to close up shop..

Well, guess what, two 12V batteries in parallel means you now have TWO of those silly interconnect cables and if one of those "12V" batteries goes bad, it WILL drain and damage the good one BEFORE you ever realize there is something wrong.

Not to mention "12V" batteries are not really "12V", they are 6 TWO VOLT CELLS wired in series with INTERNAL LEAD INTERCONNECTS.

6V GC2 batteries are 3 TWO VOLT CELLS wired in series and all you are doing is just adding an external "interconnect" cable between the separate GC2 batteries..

Nothing magical about 12V batteries folks..

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go to Costco or Sam's Club and get 2-12V deep cycle batteries and be done with it.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. I have a few responses to comments made throughout these posts.
- To be clear, I am comparing 2 6V vs 2 12 v not a single 12v. I have room for either on my tongue
- The Costco option does not appear to be an option for me. My Costco no longer carries them. Said they can order but when you read on-line the reviews are horrible for that Interstate 6V battery.
- I have not Checked wall-mart or auto parts stores. Where I have found 6V in stock local to me was a battery plus location selling Energizer, a golf cart company selling Trojan, and an interstate store. The price ranges for those 3 locations for a single 6V was $128 for Energizer / Interstate up to $200+ for trojan. NAPA online is $120. I am just not seeing anything below that. I was comparing that to a 90 Ah 12V Interstate for $120 each. This is where I came up with similar AH for similar money with 2 12V . 180 Ah with 12V vs 240Ah with 6V. By the way, we are fine paying a little more, I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something since I read so many posts talking about <$100 6V batteries.
I had my mind set on going with 6V this time around but was just surprised on the prices as I had always head they are cheaper. And, I was very surprised to see such terrible reviews on the Costco website for the Interstate 6V. I do have a tendency to discharge the battery quite far when we boondock, especially if we have to run the furnace, so points made in this thread of deeper discharge might be the important focus point for our situation

Thanks again everyone. I know this topic is beating a dead horse, but it was the Value / Cost angle I wanted to look at here.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was also surprised at all the negative reviews for Interstate at Costco. I went with the Duracell Ultra batteries from Batteries Plus. At 230AH I felt it was worth the extra money and they had much better reviews. I haven't really put them to the test, when camping last summer we had to use the gen to keep the AC running during the day, but had plenty of power at night even with minimal heat running in the early morning. They will get more use this summer as we will go on a couple boondock trips.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot think of a single reason to use two 12 vs 2 6's.

The Marine batts, as stated, are a compromise. Intended for a boat. Boaters use the same battery to start the motor (need lots of amps all at once) and to run the trolling motor (need small amt of amps over a long period), and then be able to start the boat engine again.

The thick plates of a true deep cycle battery cannot give the sudden burst of amps as the thin plates of a car starting battery. A Deep Cyc batt may not be able to start an engine.

The thin plates of a car batt cannot be run dead many times at all before ruin - you can count this on one hand...

Marine is a compromise, so has medium thickness plates. You can run them dead (certain percentage of state of discharge) more than a car bat, but not as many times as a true deep cyc batt.

I dont have the exact numbers but something like this:
car batt can be run dead 2 times
marine batt can be run dead 200 times
true deep cyc batt can be run dead 2,000 times.
(do a search if you want to real numbers on this, but the disparity is similar)

This is the reason for true deep cycle batts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery price question...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.