Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Battery price question...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery price question...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again all. This is great info so I appreciate the conversation!

I am pretty sold on 6V at this point as we do plan to boondocks more this spring / summer /fall than we ever have. I did more on-line digging and found the Sams club Duracell's at $89. Of course the nearest Sam's club is an hour away. Costco is our regular bulk warehouse at 10 min away and as stated mine has stopped stocking the Interstate. My in-laws have a Sams near them and a membership (again an hour from our house) so we will give it a shot next time we are down that way. Next challenge will be to find battery boxes that fit. Looks like a few nice ones on Amazon.

Thanks again all!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer,

The thinner plates IMPROVE high amperage performance.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 02:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Thanks again all. This is great info so I appreciate the conversation!

I am pretty sold on 6V at this point as we do plan to boondocks more this spring / summer /fall than we ever have. I did more on-line digging and found the Sams club Duracell's at $89. Of course the nearest Sam's club is an hour away. Costco is our regular bulk warehouse at 10 min away and as stated mine has stopped stocking the Interstate. My in-laws have a Sams near them and a membership (again an hour from our house) so we will give it a shot next time we are down that way. Next challenge will be to find battery boxes that fit. Looks like a few nice ones on Amazon.

Thanks again all!

many Walmarts carry 6v GC2 battery boxes.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was back in my local costco and sure enough they started carrying the 6V again. I asked the guy working there why they had stopped and he was not sure but they had 10 in stock. Picked up 2 and am currently in day 3 of a boondocks trip as I type this. What a difference from my single size24 marine batt. Ha! Nights right now are ranging 37-42 so the furnace runs plenty over night. This morning the battery reads (at least according to my in command system) 12.1v which apparently is around 60%. My old 12v would have been totally dead by about 5am. I run my generators a few hours in the afternoon to recharge and so far so good. Time will tell but thanks again all. This will make boondocking life much easier!

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

The big downside to parallel operation is not "everything" is "shared", due to manufacturing and material tolerances the batteries will never "share" the current load 100% equally, resulting in one battery discharging or recharging at a different rate. You can get them close but in the end one battery will be slightly weaker and that weaker one will ultimately kill the other battery by over discharging and undercharging.

The 12V batteries due to thinner and lighter plates are also NOT designed for very deep draw downs, typically rated at only 50% DOD but for max LIFE only 20% of their capacity should be used..
!

Variances between 12 volt batteries is corrected by doing a balanced connection, connecting the house + connection to the + terminal of one battery and the - house connection to the - terminal of the other battery, then running equal length connections between batteries:

[image]

I use 2 AGM batteries made by Northstar and they are rated for 400 cycles at 80% DOD and the cycle count goes up from there with lower DOD.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Battery price question...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.