cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing luggage bay latches

chompchomp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 class A Itasca MH 35J. I went to Youtube to see how to replace the luggage bay latches, and it looked simple enough: two screws to detach and then replace each latch, two latches per compartment but my latches look like they're riveted onto the cargo bay doors. Anyone else run into this problem?

Do I drill them out and purchase new rivets and a rivet gun or drill them out and replace with screws? Any advice greatly appreciated.
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha
3 REPLIES 3

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
I echo johnsonbert's recommendation for stainless steel hardware.

If I might make another suggestion: Once you are sure you have the hardware in the proper location and everything is aligned properly, I might recommend that you put some Loctite Purple (or possibly Loctite Blue) on the threads of the screws. I'd remove each nut, one at a time and put a dab of the Loctite on it so you don't cause anything to misalign. Then, with the Loctite on, snug each one up securely.

Or, if you're comfortable with a rivet gun, that's fine too.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
A suggestion if your going to go the route of screws and nuts. if it were me, I look for the size you need in Stainless Steel. The big box lumber yards and Ace and True Value hardware stores have a variety of sizes with washers to go with them and at a reasonable price. Even plated screws will soon rust where the stainless will stay clean and rust free. Just my thoughts. Either method should work though. Hope this may help, happy trails Bert.
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Either approach would be reasonable in my estimation, assuming there's sufficient access and clearance for the fasteners and tools needed. Pop rivet tools and pop rivets are affordable and easy to use (and nuts and screws are too, of course).