cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator stalls

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
It starts up beautifully, runs for a few minutes then stalls. After it stalls it will restart beautifully and run for a few more minutes then stall. I have adjusted the oil and antifreeze levels and unplugged the remote switch to rule out the remote switch.
Was thinking the fuel filter might be clogged but a little voice in my brain says that if this was the case it might not start so easily.( but the fuel filter might be the issue) Oh after it stalls it flashes once repeatedly and after i touch the off position it flashes 3 times incrementally. It stalls with or without a load.

Its a onan diesel...

Thoughts?
2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins
11 REPLIES 11

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
I like happy endings too.Thankyou.
340 HP Cummins

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Good story I like the happy ending. What I like best is you followed up with the solution - Thank you.

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved but its too embarrassing to share. Ok i will share my brain fart the problem was that i had a slow coolant leak from the drain cap and over time the level dropped. My mistake was thinking that i only had to top up the overflow tank. I discovered today that there is a pressure cap under a little trap door. I put about a half gallon of coolant in and shes fixed now. Silly me live and learn..thanks for all your help peeps.
340 HP Cummins

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Water pump belt or the water pump?

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
To funny i just finished that test. First i cleaned as much of the gen surface that i could reach. Left the hood open started it up and it stalled after 7 minutes. Restarted it and it stalled after 2 minutes.
Fault code is 1 flash then 33 .
Stuck finger in rad to feel temp of antifreeze...it was cold.
340 HP Cummins

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would try running it with the genset door open to allow for more cooling, and see if that makes a difference.

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Thankyou i believe the fault code is 33 which is overheated coolant. I will replace the fuel filter for sure though and also try to troubleshoot a possible overheating issue.
340 HP Cummins

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Monaramblee wrote:
Was thinking the fuel filter might be clogged but a little voice in my brain says that if this was the case it might not start so easily.( but the fuel filter might be the issue) Oh after it stalls it flashes once repeatedly and after i touch the off position it flashes 3 times incrementally. It stalls with or without a load.

Its a onan diesel...

Thoughts?

Well I'd read the trouble codes (Read the fine manual to figure out how to do that) and post them here.

But you did a mighty fine job of describing the symptoms of clogged filter.

What happens if it's not TOTALLY clogged is as the engine runs it sucks fuel from the after-filter line.. but eventually not enough fuel is passing the filter.. It starves and stalls... Then more fuel flows (since the line is under vacuum) and it restarts easily.

However that said. other causes are possible.

But if the filter was other than totally clogged, which almost never happens. What you got is EXACTLY what I'd expect.

Oh.. Same for the Air filter but that engine will run Rich.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
So a correction on my first post regarding the fault codes. When it stalls there is a single flash pause and repeat. After pressing off for second code it blinks 3 times short pause then 3 more blinks..... it appears to be fault code 33....
340 HP Cummins

Monaramblee
Explorer
Explorer
Tank is full. I have not tried to tighten the filter and i believe the fault code may be 33 which i believe is high coolant temp.
Thankyou for the reply.... any more input would be greatly appreciated
340 HP Cummins

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Likely fuel related. How full is the tank? The generator will only draw the tank down to about 1/4 so make sure it's above that.
The engine doesn't draw much fuel at idle and lightly loaded; a clogged filter would only show itself when a load is put on the generator. Or, you could have an air leak somewhere in the fuel system including a loose filter. Have you tried tightening it?
The flashing light is giving you a fault code. Have you looked it up in the manual?