Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Generator stalls
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator stalls

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It starts up beautifully, runs for a few minutes then stalls. After it stalls it will restart beautifully and run for a few more minutes then stall. I have adjusted the oil and antifreeze levels and unplugged the remote switch to rule out the remote switch.
Was thinking the fuel filter might be clogged but a little voice in my brain says that if this was the case it might not start so easily.( but the fuel filter might be the issue) Oh after it stalls it flashes once repeatedly and after i touch the off position it flashes 3 times incrementally. It stalls with or without a load.

Its a onan diesel...

Thoughts?

* This post was edited 04/10/21 12:25pm by Monaramblee *

2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likely fuel related. How full is the tank? The generator will only draw the tank down to about 1/4 so make sure it's above that.
The engine doesn't draw much fuel at idle and lightly loaded; a clogged filter would only show itself when a load is put on the generator. Or, you could have an air leak somewhere in the fuel system including a loose filter. Have you tried tightening it?
The flashing light is giving you a fault code. Have you looked it up in the manual?

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tank is full. I have not tried to tighten the filter and i believe the fault code may be 33 which i believe is high coolant temp.
Thankyou for the reply.... any more input would be greatly appreciated

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So a correction on my first post regarding the fault codes. When it stalls there is a single flash pause and repeat. After pressing off for second code it blinks 3 times short pause then 3 more blinks..... it appears to be fault code 33....

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monaramblee wrote:

Was thinking the fuel filter might be clogged but a little voice in my brain says that if this was the case it might not start so easily.( but the fuel filter might be the issue) Oh after it stalls it flashes once repeatedly and after i touch the off position it flashes 3 times incrementally. It stalls with or without a load.

Its a onan diesel...

Thoughts?

Well I'd read the trouble codes (Read the fine manual to figure out how to do that) and post them here.

But you did a mighty fine job of describing the symptoms of clogged filter.

What happens if it's not TOTALLY clogged is as the engine runs it sucks fuel from the after-filter line.. but eventually not enough fuel is passing the filter.. It starves and stalls... Then more fuel flows (since the line is under vacuum) and it restarts easily.

However that said. other causes are possible.

But if the filter was other than totally clogged, which almost never happens. What you got is EXACTLY what I'd expect.

Oh.. Same for the Air filter but that engine will run Rich.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/21 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thankyou i believe the fault code is 33 which is overheated coolant. I will replace the fuel filter for sure though and also try to troubleshoot a possible overheating issue.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try running it with the genset door open to allow for more cooling, and see if that makes a difference.

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To funny i just finished that test. First i cleaned as much of the gen surface that i could reach. Left the hood open started it up and it stalled after 7 minutes. Restarted it and it stalled after 2 minutes.
Fault code is 1 flash then 33 .
Stuck finger in rad to feel temp of antifreeze...it was cold.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water pump belt or the water pump?

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem solved but its too embarrassing to share. Ok i will share my brain fart the problem was that i had a slow coolant leak from the drain cap and over time the level dropped. My mistake was thinking that i only had to top up the overflow tank. I discovered today that there is a pressure cap under a little trap door. I put about a half gallon of coolant in and shes fixed now. Silly me live and learn..thanks for all your help peeps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator stalls
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.