Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tires (the weakest link)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tires (the weakest link)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

just an FYI on the 19.5s Having owned both 19.6s and 16s on my old truck 245/70R19.5s are the same size as 285/75R16. They are tall but the can handle 4500+ per tire

What 19.5s did you have, Rickson? I can’t get a hold of anyone at that company. I have also heard a lot of horror stories about 6-9 month delays in delivery.

I get conflicting reports here for what will fit without rubbing. 245/70r19.5 are only 33” (my stock tire are 32.6”). The offset matters though. Those running Vision wheels on my truck claim they rub. Rickson will match the factory offset, which is awesome, but again, they seem to be taking a break. The 225/70r19.5s will definitely fit my truck, but they won’t fit on Vision rims (7.5” wide). I would likely throw money at Rickson’s if they would answer their phone and guarantee timely delivery. Both are seeming increasingly unlikely.

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slymer wrote:

I went with the Visions for our F350 SRW. That was to allow me to go to commercial tires as I felt the rubber would be the weakest link. I went with Michelin XDS2's. 16 ply with load range H. Camper on, I run them at 120 PSI. Camper off I run them at 80. Supposed to be good for 100,000 kms. and so far it looks like they just may. I got drive treads for the rear but steer treads for the front (quieter up front). I also upgraded the TPMS valves at $35 each but they have never worked. The truck won't recognize them. Every time I ramp up to 120 psi I get a dashboard message,..."low tire pressure". Go figure. I just feel much safer with these tires.

That seems like a great setup. Sadly, the smallest tire that will fit on Visions won’t fit in my wheel well without rubbing (with the Vision offset). I gave up on TPMS on my trucks long ago. I just check the pressure often. I wonder if one could mitigate the risk of a blowout by temping the tire with an IR therm every so often. Speaking of which, you’d think they could add a thermocouple to the TPMS to warn the driver of overheating tires. They’d cost double and probably break twice as frequently though, so maybe not a great idea.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AH_AK wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

High temps and underinflation are major risks for tire failure. Slowing down can make some difference. My first truck had 17" rims with limited tire choices so I eventually paid well over $3000 for Rickson wheels and 19.5 tires.

My current truck has 20" wheels with somewhat better tire ratings. I guess I will stick with the current wheels and tires even though they are loaded to approximately max load. I have a TPMS and check it at least daily. I also drive at a maximum speed of about 65-70 mph.

I feel like if they are under their max, you likely have a comfortable (unofficial) safety margin. How did you feel about the 19.5’s? Any issues with balancing? So much money, but nice to have that peace of mind.

After several years of RV travel, I finally weighed my rig and was seriously worried. I was several hundred pounds over the load capacity for my rear tires. I felt much better with the Rickson 19.5 wheels and Firestone tires. The balance was perfect. The only issue was the break in period of about 1000 or so miles. Before then the tires tended to wander and follow even slight ruts in the road surface. The truck was totaled in an accident so I never was able to access the wear but it seemed much, much better than my previous 17" tires. Another advantage is the firm sidewall and minimal ballooning. I keep mainly on pavement but even so I lost 2 of my old tires to rocky roads and sidewall damage.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AH_AK wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

just an FYI on the 19.5s Having owned both 19.6s and 16s on my old truck 245/70R19.5s are the same size as 285/75R16. They are tall but the can handle 4500+ per tire

What 19.5s did you have, Rickson? I can’t get a hold of anyone at that company. I have also heard a lot of horror stories about 6-9 month delays in delivery.

I get conflicting reports here for what will fit without rubbing. 245/70r19.5 are only 33” (my stock tire are 32.6”). The offset matters though. Those running Vision wheels on my truck claim they rub. Rickson will match the factory offset, which is awesome, but again, they seem to be taking a break. The 225/70r19.5s will definitely fit my truck, but they won’t fit on Vision rims (7.5” wide). I would likely throw money at Rickson’s if they would answer their phone and guarantee timely delivery. Both are seeming increasingly unlikely.

Rickson is thankfully out of Business. They strung me along for 9 months with no delivery. I used a CC and got my money back. I went with Visions and Roadmaster 245/70R19.5 RM253 Drive tires on all 4 corners. I don't have beaches around here so not airing down works for me. If you are worried about rubbing you can always add wheel spacers. I have BORA spacers between the wheels of my dually and they also make ones for SRWs to move the tires out a bit ( its custom so width is up to you).

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your Chevrolet can’t handle the Vision offset, you could always trade for a Ford. Another option is to buy new wheels that can give you a better offset for 4080 capacity tires.

That being said, it’s probably going to cost you about the same to switch to a DRW if a DRW will work for you. In that case, your load problems will simply disappear.

For sure, 19.5 tires are tougher tires, but you pay for it in a rougher ride. Btw, it’s one of the reasons that I bought a F450 of the year range I bought. Maybe or maybe not a good idea, but I haven’t had a flat or even slow leak in 15 years of 19.5s.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Method makes some higher rated rims in LT tire sizes. 245/70r19.5 will fit the GM, but you may need tie back the fender liner up front or use a leveling kit to prevent rub at full lock. My Vision rims worked well, but I did not have a GM. American Force also makes high weight rated 19.5" rims - they have many patterns but a price that rivals or exceeds Rickson.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

AH_AK wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Rickson is thankfully out of Business. They strung me along for 9 months with no delivery. I used a CC and got my money back. I went with Visions and Roadmaster 245/70R19.5 RM253 Drive tires on all 4 corners. I don't have beaches around here so not airing down works for me. If you are worried about rubbing you can always add wheel spacers. I have BORA spacers between the wheels of my dually and they also make ones for SRWs to move the tires out a bit ( its custom so width is up to you).

Ahh this explains their non-responsiveness. The issue is actually not enough positive offset (+44 stock, +25 Visions). Pushing it out would actually make the clearance issues worse (when the wheel is turned). TBH, I am not sure I trust the reports of rubbing with the 245/70r19.5. I wish I could find someone with the same generation truck to say, yes it'll work, or no, you'll need to trim x. At least I'd know what I was getting into.

I saw some custom wheel manufacturer down in TX, but oooohh man were they expensive.

I am actually looking for the Kanati Armor Hog in 275/70r18. The load index is 129 (4080 lb). I need to confirm they will fit, but the tuner message boards seem to think they will.

I won't need that much LCC, but it'll be nice to have the buffer. Just need to find a dealer that has them in the L48 and then freight forward them to AK. The joys of living in the great North!

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 275/70r18 was same height as my 245/70r19.5 and I used it as spare tire.

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Method makes some higher rated rims in LT tire sizes. 245/70r19.5 will fit the GM, but you may need tie back the fender liner up front or use a leveling kit to prevent rub at full lock. My Vision rims worked well, but I did not have a GM. American Force also makes high weight rated 19.5" rims - they have many patterns but a price that rivals or exceeds Rickson.

I would be fine with modifying the fender, but I'd rather not mess with the suspension/steering geometry (if I can help it). I wonder how often rub at full lock will actually be an issue anyway. I suppose it'd just be annoying when I forget and try a K turn. I am only seeing wheels on Method's site not tires. I looked at American Force, but they only seem to have 19.5x7.5 and looks like they have the same offset as Visions, so they might rub. I could likely trim the fender and get rid of the rub, but I'd almost certainly save some $$ and go with the visions if I am ready to trim.

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

The 275/70r18 was same height as my 245/70r19.5 and I used it as spare tire.

If I could get 19.5's with the correct offset, I think they would fit without any trimming/rubbing, but that is proving somewhat difficult to find. Got a good deal on the GM, but I am starting to regret my brand decision a little. I might just have to commit to trimming the fender well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tires (the weakest link)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.