Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tires (the weakest link)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tires (the weakest link)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

It comes down to where you use your truck (do you need flotation) and how heavy you will be loaded. I was putting 8000 lbs on the SRW rear axle which stopped me from using LT or even the smaller 225/70r19.5 tires.

Practically speaking, if I have a 4000lb truck camper on my SRW, I am not going to be taking my truck anywhere too extreme.

I was really just looking for a solution that would let me keep my current wheels while increasing my safety factor on my tires, and avoiding the learning curve associated with commercial tires.

Alas, I am slowly caving to the idea of 19.5's. The more I think about it, committing to using a very niche tire (Kanati) is probably a bad idea long term. While I may not end up being a fan of the stiff ride or the cost of the 19.5's, the tire options are numerous.

I think I just needed some time to marinate on the investment. It helps that I found a freight forwarder that can get the wheel to AK for $350 (rather than $1200 FedEx).

I am still curious about the practical load limitations of OEM steel wheels. I would just hate to "experiment" with my family in the truck with me.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AH_AK wrote:

Alas, I am slowly caving to the idea of 19.5's. The more I think about it, committing to using a very niche tire (Kanati) is probably a bad idea long term. While I may not end up being a fan of the stiff ride or the cost of the 19.5's, the tire options are numerous.

I think I just needed some time to marinate on the investment......

While you are marinating this idea, do not forget that 19.5 tires are likely to greatly outlast OEM sized tires. If feasible in your area, they are also made to be recapped. In addition to the added safety, long term they might actually be lower cost.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 19.5 can be regrooved, but I have not heard of anyone running this size in recap.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The factory rims are stamped with their no shjt weight rating and it won't correspond with the axle weight rating. It will be higher. Did you check for that and I missed it?

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where is this stamp located on OEM steelies?

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also like to know where you found a weight rating stamped on a GM wheel .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 19.5 Visions are on their way. Those of you running 19.5 on SRW trucks, do you run aftermarket shocks? I noticed I have some underdamped bounce when I hit bumps with a 3600lb camper on the back. Nothing scary, but I am thinking 19.5’s are going to make it worse. I am running OE shocks right now. I haven’t had a chance to mess with my airbag pressure. I set at 40 psi. Lower overloads engaged, uppers not. Looked level, so I left it. I gather that airbags contribute to bounciness. I am thinking a shock with better damping might help with the bounce. I can live with it, but i am worried that it’ll get worse once the 19.5’s go on. Also, I would hate to “deal with it” if there was a relatively easy solution.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 02:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran Rancho 9000s on my SRW with Visions and 19.5s on my F350.. I used 6 front and 9 rear with the same TC I have now, and 3 front and 1 rear empty.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried airbags and immediately had an issue with bounce and sway. I lowered the pressure to the point where the bags hardly helped leveling the rig but at least the bounce and sway were decreased.

I had Rancho shocks and to help with the bounce and sway I had the rear shocks set on high. The ride was poor with lots of jolts when driving over highway tar strips, etc. It took a couple of years before I finally got rid of the airbags, added Supersprings and was then able to dial back on the shocks. The Supersprings made all the difference! I will never mess with airbags again.

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

I tried airbags and immediately had an issue with bounce and sway. I lowered the pressure to the point where the bags hardly helped leveling the rig but at least the bounce and sway were decreased.

I had Rancho shocks and to help with the bounce and sway I had the rear shocks set on high. The ride was poor with lots of jolts when driving over highway tar strips, etc. It took a couple of years before I finally got rid of the airbags, added Supersprings and was then able to dial back on the shocks. The Supersprings made all the difference! I will never mess with airbags again.

It makes sense that the airbags would be bouncy, especially with the limited damping capacity of OE shocks. I honestly feel dumb for blindly installing airbags. They work for leveling but naturally take load off the leafs and disengage the overloads. Supersprings seem easy enough to install and they are not super expensive. I might see if better shocks help first. It is good to know that I have a reasonable option if he ride is too harsh.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tires (the weakest link)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.