Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tires (the weakest link)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tires (the weakest link)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AH_AK wrote:

...Supersprings seem easy enough to install and they are not super expensive. I might see if better shocks help first. It is good to know that I have a reasonable option if he ride is too harsh.

At least for me, shocks did not work and added to a harsh, jolting ride. They are also pretty expensive. I would go with the Supersprings first. They are very inexpensive. They bolt on quickly and the only minor issue is adjusting the tension by changing the positions of the shackles. A dealer put mine on for a small fee but I would not hesitate to do it myself. Another good choice are Timbrens. I am using them on my 3500 but my 2500 needed something more.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

At least for me, shocks did not work and added to a harsh, jolting ride. They are also pretty expensive. I would go with the Supersprings first. They are very inexpensive.

I’m not sure where you priced shocks or what setting you used the Rancho 9000s on. Looking online, the shocks and Supersprings are approximately the same cost. However, springs do something totally different than shocks. Supersprings are more comparable to air bags or timbrens.

One companies comparison of each type of spring is in the link below.

https://www.generalspringkc.com/blog/best-truck-suspension-upgrades

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think the supersprings or any progressive spring pack upgrade would be less “bouncy” than airbags due to the more linear stiffness profile over the range of travel. What I experienced felt like underdamped oscillations. The downside of increasing damping (shocks) is that it will make the ride more harsh. Coming from the mountain bike world, I am used to the more you pay, the more adjustments you get, and the more you can dial it in. Keep in mind that I have no real experience in the TC world. I understand fundamentals pretty well, but fundamentals without practical experience can get you into trouble (and waste a lot of money)...thus, asking this community.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As with every other issue when you solicit advice, you need to do your own research and look for a consensus. You will always find some divergent opinions.

AH_AK

AK

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am extremely appreciative of all the feedback I have gotten from this site. It is a great resource for newbies like me.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started here in 2010 and learned a lot. Nine months later we took off as full timers in a truck camper we had never even tried out for a night. We had no major issues and the minor fixes were largely due to knowledge gained here.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tires (the weakest link)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.