cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main entry door shuts hard

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a problem with the latch on the unit. It does not seem to close easy unless, just using my finger, I semi polish the latch that retracts. If I just rub my finger up and down on it then it will shut with just a simple push of the door. Then after about 20 times it is super hard to operate again. I have lubricated the mechanism with dry silicone spray and it works very easy but it seem to just be the contact point between the strike plate and the latch. I figure someone out there has the easy answer to making close easy without constantly rubbing it. I was thinking about taking my rotary polisher and trying to polish up latch so there are no micro abrasions on it and maybe it would work better. Just looking for ideas to try. By the way, the latch mechanism works perfect and there is no damage to the strike plate. The door does not catch in any way and polishing with my finger it closes with a lite push.
8 REPLIES 8

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I keep a bar of paraffin wax (canning wax) in my tool box, works great and doesn’t come off clothes.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You just need to lube the strike plate, or better choice, the latch that hits the plate, with a lube that lasts a while. Grease works, if you are careful with clothing. A dry lube, or motorcycle chain wax is good. Even a lube you have at home for getting into tight places (KY), will work short term, an will wash out of clothing easily.

Jerry

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
In my house I had a door latch that behaved moistly the same. I would spray some silicone spray on a paper towel and wipe off the striker and plate and it would work for a while. Eventually I just replaced the lock and plate and it has worked fine ever since. For your situation I would ask if the finger rub is depositing oils or just moving the latch up and down and freeing it from some internal binding.

If it acts up again I would rub the striker with a folded paper towel between my finger and the latch. Or put your hand inside a plastic bag and do the rub. If the door closes easily after the rub with no chance of oil transfer then I would say the internals are suspect.

Alternatively if it acts up again you could try spraying a tiny bit of lubricant onto the latch without touching it and see if it helps. that would also tell you if it's the oil or the jiggling of the latch that's doing the work.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
So I took my Dremel with a polishing pad and polished both the strike plate and latch. It shut perfect afterwards but I did, of course, rub it with my fingers to see how smooth it is. I am going to open and shut it a bunch over the next few days to see if it holds up. It currently shuts with just a light push.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
take a really good look at the strike plate ,sounds like its touching some where.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just off the top is there any chance of recessing the strike plate a tad or, at least, the forward edge of the plate?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I didn't think about using the Dremel to polish it up a bit. That will be easier than with the big polisher.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
I’d suspect that the “finger polishing” is depositing enough skin oil to ease the closure. I’d suspect that even though you aren’t seeing strike plate markings, it may not be a smooth fit. If you could find some carbon paper or other way to identify high spots, I think you’d solve it. I had similar issues with mine early on and found a high spot that I polished out with my Dremel tool. Good luck.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)