cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any RV parks left in RGV?

fixn2gocamp
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone out there with recent and firsthand knowledge regarding Mission and Mcalister areas of the RGV? Are ALL the RV parks and resorts now also mobile home parks? We cannot seem to find a nice park with activities that still caters to full time RV'ers. Even professionally managed resorts are 70% or more mobile homes. And they are packed in! The RV's get shoved into tiny little spaces with no room to breathe and slides almost touching. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated. We're looking for a full time base for our 43' rig but would appreciate storage for our travel trailer on site or nearby.

๐Ÿ™‚
18 REPLIES 18

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
fixn2gocamp wrote:
Hi 2gs...if there is a decent 55+ park in the Rockport area, I haven't been able to find it.

There are plenty of parks in the area.

https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/texas/rockport

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
fixn2gocamp wrote:
...snip...
Update: However, the "rv resorts/parks" are mostly old, tired and 90% mobile homes. Some were neat and clean, others just scary. All friendly. Have found a couple that would do for a short time, but most are slide to slide. Rates good, but again, tired. ...snip...?.

BINGO! The RGV is cheap, windy, dirty, tired, but cheap.

As far as Rockport or anything north of there, one is giving up 5-10 winter degrees by going 200 miles north. Makes a huge difference in January/February.

fixn2gocamp
Explorer
Explorer
Hi 2gs...if there is a decent 55+ park in the Rockport area, I haven't been able to find it. Found one deeded community at 55+ but realtor does not respond or return calls. Two others, both slide to slide. Literally, looked at one with 15" between slides.
Several very nice parks in this area, Coastal Breeze is a fave, but not 55+.

Update: took an overnight to the RGV! Viewed several mentioned parks here, including the famed Retama Village. It is very nice. However, the "rv resorts/parks" are mostly old, tired and 90% mobile homes. Some were neat and clean, others just scary. All friendly. Have found a couple that would do for a short time, but most are slide to slide. Rates good, but again, tired. May go back down again for a day or two and hunt some more. Definitely don't want to be on the Coastal Bend during the summer months. Even though I broke down and bought a fishing pole. ??.

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to change location... Port Aransas, Rockport.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Parks having a steady income is obviously important for their bottom line and potentially their survival. We snowbird in Florida and have for 9 seasons. One thing that my wife & I have noticed the past few years is that more and more people are living year round in the park we've stayed at most of the time. Our park isn't age restricted so there are a few families now residing there in RVs. The housing shortage, cost of homes, etc. is driving some to just purchase an RV and live in a park full time. I assume some of this is due to the fact that lot rent and utilities, if any, are cheaper than owning a home or even renting a home.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

fixn2gocamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tom and Alfred.... To answer your question Tom, I'd rather, if they want full time mobile homes, that they stop calling themselves RV parks. It's disheartenong to drive into a place that looks great on their website only to find they are 90% mobile homes and bumper to bumper. Mobile homes are not RVs and they are not even Destination or park models. But you're right, the steady income is appealing to a lot of owners. Just wished they'd call it what they are. Thanks for the ideas Alfred, we'll check them out. Have heard of Victoria Palms from a couple of folks.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Both Victoria Palms and Llano Grande have newer sections with large lots. They both have older, cramped lots but I think the newer areas are what you are looking for.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Park models/mobile homes usually pay rent for the whole year, while RV's may only be there a few months. Which would you rather have for an income? That's why many parks are being populated with permanent models.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
fixn2gocamp wrote:
Thanks Scottiemom. I did look up Mission West and will check it out. I don't mind some park models or even mobiles if park is well kept. But I want some SPACE. I hate slide to slide.

If you look around, check out Hidden Valley Ranch. It is an owner park, but a lot of them rent out their lots. They have quite large lots, nice clubhouse, active residents and nicely kept.

Not too many mobiles in the parks. . . if anything, park models, single wide for the most part.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

fixn2gocamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Scottiemom. I did look up Mission West and will check it out. I don't mind some park models or even mobiles if park is well kept. But I want some SPACE. I hate slide to slide.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Pawatt gave you good advice. I see he mentioned Mission West. I was going to suggest that. Also Pleasant VAlley Ranch is about 85% RV's. It's a rental park and I know this year it was all but empty, because it normally has a large contingent of French Canadians. They do have a lot of activities. And if you rent for a week or two and look around, you can find some really nice sites for rent by owner.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
One week to go and I will have completed my 3rd winter here and signed up for next year.
We have the Mobile Home Section and the RV Park which is separate. I have a 40 foot 5th wheel and I could park my truck in front of it but the sites are wide enough I park to the left of my rig.
All kind of activities but none this year because of Covid. Now we did have Happy Hour just about every day.
20 miles or so to the east of McAllen over in Weslaco. 5 miles or so from Progreso Mexico.
Ranchero
Village
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Also could check out Mission West and Seven Oaks in the Mission Area.
pawatt

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Retama Village is right next to a day-use state park we go to every so often...you can see amenities on website... top-tier place... lots of Prevost/tag-axle Class A's.. my running stupid joke when there: turn to wife..."ever wonder what a million five on wheels looks like? (Point to pretty much any of the coaches visible from the back road)..it looks like that"
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control