Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Truck Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Robeowens1

NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my budget I am looking at purchasing one of two trucks. My choices are a 6.2 L gas 2017 F-250 with 117,000 miles. It has been regularly serviced and maintained. Or a 6.7 Diesel 2500 Ram with 91,000 miles. Service records are unknown at this point. I will be pulling a travel trailer that weighs just over 7,000lbs fully loaded about 5 to 6 times a year. The rest of my driving is to and from work which is about a total of 5 miles round trip and the usual around town driving. Looking for suggestions?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That size trailer....those few yearly trips....daily commuter/short drive....service records

Seems obvious....the 2017 F250 GAS

And I like Diesel but they have their place....TOWING

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Payload for both is? Gas with maintenance records would be my choice.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your post will be moved to Tow Vehicles. New members always post here because that's where the link takes them. I doubt it will ever be changed.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don’t need an F250 to tow a 7000 GVW trailer, unless you plan on going bigger in the near future. An F150 w/ 3.5 ecoboost, 10 sped transmission and max tow pkg will do great and makes a lot better daily driver. Just make sure you get one with sufficient payload. Somewhere north of 1600 lbs depending on how much your going to be loading in the truck (passengers and cargo) should do it.

cekkk

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm all for diesels but you can easily do what you plan on with a half ton. Just be very careful so you don't end up exceeding payload. Lots of research because not all tow packages are created equal! A 250 would give you room to grow but not necessary for this load.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/21 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all end up with larger trailers...which necessitates a larger truck.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wing_zealot wrote:

You don’t need an F250 to tow a 7000 GVW trailer, unless you plan on going bigger in the near future. An F150 w/ 3.5 ecoboost, 10 sped transmission and max tow pkg will do great and makes a lot better daily driver. Just make sure you get one with sufficient payload. Somewhere north of 1600 lbs depending on how much your going to be loading in the truck (passengers and cargo) should do it.

Now this is a rare post for this forum! "You don't need a HD truck, a 1/2 ton will do a better job"

While I agree with wing zealot's entire post, it just seems out of place on this forum. [emoticon]

To answer the OP's question, I think the F250 gas 6.2 would be the best choice for his use. If the OP wants a diesel, the Ram/Cummins is a good choice.

Jerry

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

We all end up with larger trailers...which necessitates a larger truck.

We do? How did we go from 11,000lb to 7,500lb this past year?

Either truck should be fine. As mentioned, they are a bit of overkill but no harm in that.

What's the year on the diesel and what is the price difference? If it's the same year and price (or pretty close), I would have a mechanic check the diesel and if it checks out, that would be my choice. If the diesel is significantly older or more costly, I would go with the gas truck.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Tow with my Ram Diesel the same number of times a year. My commute to work is a walk up the stairs. Nothing wrong with having a diesel as a daily driver - mine is a 3500. And when your towing, you won't have to listen to the gas engine scream. Plus, you will get better fuel mileage towing, and the ability to step up to a larger TT in the future.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Truck Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.