cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locking surge protector

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, has any body found a need to use a locking surge protector?
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
I bought our Progressive Industries EMS 3 years ago along with a locking cable. Haven't used the locking cable in 2 years.
What's a thief gonna do with a surge protector anyway?

They'll do the same thing petty thieves do with iPhones and other electronics - sell it to an upstream buyer for $20 to someone that knows what it is and can resell it.

If it looks expensive and is accessible and they have the opportunity, someone will take it even if they don't know what it is.

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
A lock will stop the opportunistic thief. It won't mean anything to a professional thief, because they will come prepared with bolt cutters.

Unfortunately, with so many new RVers out this year, many of whom completely unprepared and under-funded (purchased an RV without counting all the costs), the opportunistic thefts might seriously increase.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the hard wired one or 2 reasons:

1. No chance of theft
2. I like seeing the data on the display screen

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
That was kind of my thought...is there a big 'pawn shop' market for these things? It would seem odd for a thief to just take a surge protector and leave everything else/not break in to the RV itself to see what goodies it may hold
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought our Progressive Industries EMS 3 years ago along with a locking cable. Haven't used the locking cable in 2 years.
What's a thief gonna do with a surge protector anyway?
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never used a lock, never had a problem. And most of what I've seen could be defeated in about 10 seconds.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Before we had one permanently installed, we always had a lock on ours. All it takes is once out of a multi stop trip to regret not doing it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Would you leave a couple $100 bills out on the pedestal?
Whats the difference?

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I think it really depends on where you camp and if you're sure you're going to be familiar with all the places where you camp. There's a local park I go to frequently, it's gated and is about as safe as an RV park can be -- people frequently leave bikes outside their RV without locking them. I'd have no problem leaving an expensive surge protector out on the power pedestal there.

But there are other parks I've stopped at for overnights on long trips where I wouldn't even feel comfortable leaving the RV there unattended, and certainly wouldn't want to leave anything valuable outside.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always been amazed at what can disappear in campgrounds. Seems not all campers are good people.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I keep/use my surge protector in a basement compartment. out of sight, out of mind.
bumpy