cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip to Texas

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We recently came back from a 2 week trip to Texas from Pennsylvania. We went down 81 to 40 to 30 to 35 south to San Antonio. Our first stop was Warriors Path State Park in Tennessee. Not bad for a one night stop and no to far off I-40. Next stop was Natchez Trace SP. Someone on here recommended it and thank you very much as it was very nice.Full hookups with a nice lake view.We stopped there going and coming. Next night was Beard's Bluff campground on Millwood Lake. It's a Federal Campground about 20 miles off I-30 but we had a nice site with water and electric for $7.50 a night with Senior Pass. Normally $15. They say the fishing is great but the lake has lot's of gators so no swimming. Next night Fairview Lake State Park. Very nice Texas SP with water and electric.Way off the interstate. Our destination was Potters Creek Campground on Canyon Lake. This is another nice Federal Campground. We had water and electric. Half price with Sr Pass. Very nice location kind of between Austin and San Antonio. On the way back we stayed at Sherando Lake which is another Federal Campground with electric only. About 20 miles off I-81 but very nice. Only issue we had was a blowout on the trailer on I-40 east of Knowville. It seems you only get flats on the side of your vehicle which faces traffic and no one slows down or moves over. We had Good Sam Road Service.
3 REPLIES 3

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mayor30 wrote:
I hear a lot of people say they have trouble getting reservations. I had no problem getting reservations anywhere. My destination reservations were made two months ahead of time. But the one stops coming and going were made about 2 weeks before leaving. I guess if you want reservations in the summer,holiday and on weekends it's an issue. But i had no problems. Some of the campgrounds were fairly full but others had plenty of spots.

Yes, you just need to be spot-on on your plan for reservations. State parks in Michigan, Ohio, & New York get gobbled up pretty fast, and I'm sure that's not all.

Our son & his family are in Texas, and that's a great place to camp when the weather isn't too hot. I think we've been to 12 SPs and to Big Bend NP, haven't been disappointed in Texas camping yet.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
East Austin KOA was great. We stayed there last year and We highly recommended it if youโ€™re in that area.

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
I hear a lot of people say they have trouble getting reservations. I had no problem getting reservations anywhere. My destination reservations were made two months ahead of time. But the one stops coming and going were made about 2 weeks before leaving. I guess if you want reservations in the summer,holiday and on weekends it's an issue. But i had no problems. Some of the campgrounds were fairly full but others had plenty of spots.