Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uneven Dually tire wear

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey all,

Have a 2014 Ram 3500 CC CTD dually as my tow vehicle. Just turned 40k on the odometer. I have an issue with the left rear out dually tire. It is nearly bald and the rest of the rear tires have plenty on meat on them. What would cause this issue? Tire pressures are al consistent with each other. Truck seems to drive fine, no vibrations.
Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel
38 REPLIES 38

blt2ski
JRscooby wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Another way to solve fix, I've used. A bit old school, as I'm not suremost recent designed tires have this issue like bias and early radial design treads.

Is deflate fast wearing tire by 2 psi, OR increase lessor by 2psi.

Marty

You are going backwards. It is the smaller tire that will slip, and wear faster.

Ok fine, I knew it was one way or the other. As I've done that on an older R3500 dump flatbed I had in 90s. Had to do that with tires I had in 90 to mod ott's wi navistar. No issues wi 05 dually pickup.
That's not to say issue could not be occuring with OPs rig.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:
Another way to solve fix, I've used. A bit old school, as I'm not suremost recent designed tires have this issue like bias and early radial design treads.

Marty

You are going backwards. It is the smaller tire that will slip, and wear faster.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I always got over 40k every time I had Generals on several Fords."

Were they "Ameritracks" made in Mexico?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:

Marty

Yup.
I suspect it was something like that, that may have caused the increased wear in the first place as well. Likely more than 2 psi though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski

Marty

blt2ski
Have some one follow you driving. Look to see if on a corner if the inside turns faster or slower than outside. I noticed the inside right of my Navistar turning faster than outside left, fur to the Detroit locker not breaking free empty. I consequently wear out right rears a bit soo we than left.
Yes, I'm grabbing at straws.....but you could have a similar but opposite problem than I have depending upon if you do or do not have a locking limited flip rear.

Marty

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
I always got over 40k every time I had Generals on several Fords. The only problem I had was a tire vibration on a new truck back in the mid 90's and the tire was replaced.

I had a bad experience with Michelins once, which was also the first time I tried Michelins. All six were faulty (sidewall issue) from day one. On day four, Ford wanted to replace all 6 but Michelin didn't want to honor the warranty. The Ford service advisor was shocked and the dealership absorbed the cost. They understood when I decided to switch back to Generals.

Since then, that same truck has 6 Michelins after getting 60+k on the Generals.

The 2019 ram has two Michelins on the front after one Nexen failed at 24k. The truck is jinxed and I don't know what will happen first: unloading it or replacing the rear 4 tires in the next 3k miles because that's about how much tire wear is left.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
scootsk wrote:
Thank you. I guess the possibilities are endless. I’m just glad no one is mentioning mechanical issues

I cannot imagine any realistic mechanical issue that would cause what you've described.

A bent rim would cause wear on one side of the tire. You have not said whether the wear is even or not, but it seems like you would have said something if the wear ON THE TIRE ITSELF was uneven.

A misaligned axle would cause wear on one edge of the tire. Again, you do not mention anything about uneven wear ON THE TIRE ITSELF.

If you do have uneven wear that was something you should have mentioned at the outset, as that changes the parameters and possible problems.

Really, IMHO, any mechanical issue would cause uneven wear on the tire. Even wear is more likely the tire itself.

Very even wear on that tire. No scalloping.
Don, Kathleen

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
scootsk wrote:
Thank you. I guess the possibilities are endless. I’m just glad no one is mentioning mechanical issues

I cannot imagine any realistic mechanical issue that would cause what you've described.

A bent rim would cause wear on one side of the tire. You have not said whether the wear is even or not, but it seems like you would have said something if the wear ON THE TIRE ITSELF was uneven.

A misaligned axle would cause wear on one edge of the tire. Again, you do not mention anything about uneven wear ON THE TIRE ITSELF.

If you do have uneven wear that was something you should have mentioned at the outset, as that changes the parameters and possible problems.

Really, IMHO, any mechanical issue would cause uneven wear on the tire. Even wear is more likely the tire itself.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Amazing you made it to 40k with those tires. NOT normal.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

scootsk
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Presuming original tires on the 2014 in your sig?
If so, are those Nexen tires?
And if so, it's hard to believe there is alot of tread left on any of the tires after 40k miles of mostly heavy towing and also a good chance of something like phillyg mentioned. Those tires were/are not of the best quality and have a reputation for being defective for lack of a long explanation.

Hard to pinpoint without qualitative information though. But the chances of it being any more than just a bad tire are slim, IMO.

Yes, original tires, they are Generals.
Don, Kathleen

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Presuming original tires on the 2014 in your sig?
If so, are those Nexen tires?
And if so, it's hard to believe there is alot of tread left on any of the tires after 40k miles of mostly heavy towing and also a good chance of something like phillyg mentioned. Those tires were/are not of the best quality and have a reputation for being defective for lack of a long explanation.

Hard to pinpoint without qualitative information though. But the chances of it being any more than just a bad tire are slim, IMO.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP I assume the tires are NEXEN or Generals. it’s amazing you made it to 40k as they both are POS tires.

So I think the tire quality is the most likely issue.

My generals on my 11 DRW had tread separation at 25k. Sold the NEXEN’s on my 15 DRW at 200 miles because of known poor quality.

Get those new tires installed and keep an eye on it.