Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Uneven Dually tire wear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Uneven Dually tire wear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scootsk wrote:

Hey all,

Have a 2014 Ram 3500 CC CTD dually as my tow vehicle. Just turned 40k on the odometer. I have an issue with the left rear out dually tire. It is nearly bald and the rest of the rear tires have plenty on meat on them. What would cause this issue? Tire pressures are al consistent with each other. Truck seems to drive fine, no vibrations.

Interesting situation, being only 1 rear tire. Can't say I've seen that ever. Especially just 1 side and not the other.
Only probable possibility I can think is the inside dual was low on air for a while?
Please update if you find the solution.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any one of the opinions could be right, and I'll add another. It's possible the bad tire could have some broken belts, allowing it to expand a bit and wear earlier. Clearly, something is off, so both tires should be removed from that side and be thoroughly inspected. Also, the wheels and hubs should be inspected for alignment/damage.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

scootsk

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

Any one of the opinions could be right, and I'll add another. It's possible the bad tire could have some broken belts, allowing it to expand a bit and wear earlier. Clearly, something is off, so both tires should be removed from that side and be thoroughly inspected. Also, the wheels and hubs should be inspected for alignment/damage.

Thank you. I guess the possibilities are endless. I’m just glad no one is mentioning mechanical issues

Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

pitch wrote:

CA Traveler wrote:

BTW 7 year old tires are at end of life, replace them.

What makes you think tires are original?

Because OP said original?

Reading is fundamental. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scootsk wrote:

Thank you. I guess the possibilities are endless. I’m just glad no one is mentioning mechanical issues

It's VERY unlikely, with the a full-float axle is constructed. I have seen a one bent axle tube, after then truck struck a barrier with the rear wheels on the passenger side. This causes the PAIR to become toe-out from the other side, and that wears the inner tires.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP I assume the tires are NEXEN or Generals. it’s amazing you made it to 40k as they both are POS tires.

So I think the tire quality is the most likely issue.

My generals on my 11 DRW had tread separation at 25k. Sold the NEXEN’s on my 15 DRW at 200 miles because of known poor quality.

Get those new tires installed and keep an eye on it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Presuming original tires on the 2014 in your sig?
If so, are those Nexen tires?
And if so, it's hard to believe there is alot of tread left on any of the tires after 40k miles of mostly heavy towing and also a good chance of something like phillyg mentioned. Those tires were/are not of the best quality and have a reputation for being defective for lack of a long explanation.

Hard to pinpoint without qualitative information though. But the chances of it being any more than just a bad tire are slim, IMO.

scootsk

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Presuming original tires on the 2014 in your sig?
If so, are those Nexen tires?
And if so, it's hard to believe there is alot of tread left on any of the tires after 40k miles of mostly heavy towing and also a good chance of something like phillyg mentioned. Those tires were/are not of the best quality and have a reputation for being defective for lack of a long explanation.

Hard to pinpoint without qualitative information though. But the chances of it being any more than just a bad tire are slim, IMO.

Yes, original tires, they are Generals.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing you made it to 40k with those tires. NOT normal.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scootsk wrote:

I cannot imagine any realistic mechanical issue that would cause what you've described.

A bent rim would cause wear on one side of the tire. You have not said whether the wear is even or not, but it seems like you would have said something if the wear ON THE TIRE ITSELF was uneven.

A misaligned axle would cause wear on one edge of the tire. Again, you do not mention anything about uneven wear ON THE TIRE ITSELF.

If you do have uneven wear that was something you should have mentioned at the outset, as that changes the parameters and possible problems.

Really, IMHO, any mechanical issue would cause uneven wear on the tire. Even wear is more likely the tire itself.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Uneven Dually tire wear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.