Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Uneven Dually tire wear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Uneven Dually tire wear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
scootsk

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

scootsk wrote:

Thank you. I guess the possibilities are endless. I’m just glad no one is mentioning mechanical issues

I cannot imagine any realistic mechanical issue that would cause what you've described.

A bent rim would cause wear on one side of the tire. You have not said whether the wear is even or not, but it seems like you would have said something if the wear ON THE TIRE ITSELF was uneven.

A misaligned axle would cause wear on one edge of the tire. Again, you do not mention anything about uneven wear ON THE TIRE ITSELF.

If you do have uneven wear that was something you should have mentioned at the outset, as that changes the parameters and possible problems.

Really, IMHO, any mechanical issue would cause uneven wear on the tire. Even wear is more likely the tire itself.

Very even wear on that tire. No scalloping.

Don, Kathleen
2014 Ram 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually 6.7 CTD/AISIN
2019 Montana 3791 Fifth Wheel

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always got over 40k every time I had Generals on several Fords. The only problem I had was a tire vibration on a new truck back in the mid 90's and the tire was replaced.

I had a bad experience with Michelins once, which was also the first time I tried Michelins. All six were faulty (sidewall issue) from day one. On day four, Ford wanted to replace all 6 but Michelin didn't want to honor the warranty. The Ford service advisor was shocked and the dealership absorbed the cost. They understood when I decided to switch back to Generals.

Since then, that same truck has 6 Michelins after getting 60+k on the Generals.

The 2019 ram has two Michelins on the front after one Nexen failed at 24k. The truck is jinxed and I don't know what will happen first: unloading it or replacing the rear 4 tires in the next 3k miles because that's about how much tire wear is left.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I own a Fiat Qui-Qui, I understand why.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have some one follow you driving. Look to see if on a corner if the inside turns faster or slower than outside. I noticed the inside right of my Navistar turning faster than outside left, fur to the Detroit locker not breaking free empty. I consequently wear out right rears a bit soo we than left.
Yes, I'm grabbing at straws.....but you could have a similar but opposite problem than I have depending upon if you do or do not have a locking limited flip rear.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another way to solve fix, I've used. A bit old school, as I'm not suremost recent designed tires have this issue like bias and early radial design treads.

Is deflate fast wearing tire by 2 psi, OR increase lessor by 2psi.

Marty

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Another way to solve fix, I've used. A bit old school, as I'm not suremost recent designed tires have this issue like bias and early radial design treads.

Marty

Yup.
I suspect it was something like that, that may have caused the increased wear in the first place as well. Likely more than 2 psi though.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I always got over 40k every time I had Generals on several Fords."

Were they "Ameritracks" made in Mexico?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Marty

You are going backwards. It is the smaller tire that will slip, and wear faster.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

blt2ski wrote:

Marty

You are going backwards. It is the smaller tire that will slip, and wear faster.

Ok fine, I knew it was one way or the other. As I've done that on an older R3500 dump flatbed I had in 90s. Had to do that with tires I had in 90 to mod ott's wi navistar. No issues wi 05 dually pickup.
That's not to say issue could not be occuring with OPs rig.

Marty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Uneven Dually tire wear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.