cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running Lights Stay ON

gocamping14
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Rockwood Mini-Lite. camper parked, not hooked to vehicle. plugged into shore power. rear running light on ? must be a short. suggestions are to check plug on trailer for moisture or corrosion. any other suggestions for a short, thanks in advance.............ss
11 REPLIES 11

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
And thanks for letting us know.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Great when it's something easy!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
gocamping14 wrote:
thanks for all the reply's and suggestions. problem was the trailer plug, which I had wrapped in a plastic bag for the winter. moisture accumulated in the bag and 2 or 3 terminals were wet and rusted. the power was shorting across the terminals, thus turning on rear running light on......cleaned up and covered with dielectric grease...........

Thatโ€™s an easy find and repair. I always left it open but tucked into the cover I put over the power Jack!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

gocamping14
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the reply's and suggestions. problem was the trailer plug, which I had wrapped in a plastic bag for the winter. moisture accumulated in the bag and 2 or 3 terminals were wet and rusted. the power was shorting across the terminals, thus turning on rear running light on......cleaned up and covered with dielectric grease...........

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing I would check, just because it is easy, are all the switches for compartment lights off? In some trailers I have seen marker/id lights used to indicate you left a light on

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Is it ALL running lights? If yes, check for a stray wire strand in the 7-way connector.

If itโ€™s only the rears, they probably got hooked up to the battery charge circuit.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Shorted wires are possible to run down and find the problem.
This can take anywhere from a few minutes to years.

Best to just give up to start with and run new wiring, but some investigative work, answer some above questions, will help limit where you need new wire.

Make sure to figure out what is powering the lights to start with. Always on from the battery, always on from the charger, on with interior lights...?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I had this issue years ago. Difficult to fix.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Better description of the issue needed to help you trace the issue down, if you intend on fixing it yourself.

Only on shore power?
Only "1" light?
Only rear lights?
As bright as when they are plugged into TV and turned on?
How many volts to the offending lights when they are not supposed to be on?
Etc
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a TT that ended up with a shorted wire somewhere in the ceiling. One of the running light wires ended up shorting on a ceiling light wire. When it got hot out it would short to the power wire and turn in the running lights. When it cooled down they would turn off. I cut the wire running to the ceiling light an d ran a new wire.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are the lights on w/o shore power?

I'd check the charge wire for a connection to the lights. Take the plug apart and check there first. The charge line should have a fuse, pull it and see if there is any change.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob