cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Ridge Parkway info??

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, after searching the web (where all the sites want you to sign in or log on), I thought----why not ask fellow RVers?
IF a fellow was thinking about the Blue Ridge Parkway--what, where, and how should an RVer plan this? Where to stay? Which end of the road has the most bang for the buck?
I know there are a lot of you that have done this trip-can you help me out??
Thanks..
11 REPLIES 11

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
accsys, thank you. Your trip gives us ideas about how to handle this adventure.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to take a look at our trip blog where we did the complete length of the BRP and the Skyline Drive in a little over five weeks. We stayed at RV parks just off the BRP and made day trips in the Jeep. There are lots of pictures with some of each campsite as well. We were in a 40 foot MH so required a little different places than you might. The start of the BRP portion of the trip was Old Fort, NC.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've driven it in a a car many years ago and then about 10 years ago we entered the parkway at Asheville and started heading north. Our MH was about 12' high.... it was constantly hitting branches... so much , that as soon as I found a place to turn around, I did and exited the parkway. I have heard they subsequently trimmed up the overhangs, but suggest you check with recent travelers.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aw Shucks, thanks for the compliment.
We don't mind parking the rig and just driving the truck to see the sights. From what I researched, there is so much to see and do that we wondered if a certain area might be better to find an RV park and do a "hub and spoke."
Thanks all...

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
The guy has 47,000 miles towing, and he lives in Northern Idaho. I seriously doubt he'd find driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway a white knuckle experience. LOL!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
naturist wrote:
Depends a lot on your rig. Very different experience for folks in a big motorhome vs a pop-up, and I'd have different suggestions for each.

Do a degree...a campervan towing nothing, sure.

We have a trailer similar size to the rig you have in your signature. We never felt unsafe or out of control but as the driver, it's very focused driving.

It's kind of like driving in winter weather. Used to do it all the time and not a problem but when you get out of the truck, you can just feel the tension in your shoulders because you are so focused.

Even driving just the truck, you have to pay attention but since it's easy to pull off every 15-20min (or more frequently), you can relax and stretch making it much more pleasant. With fewer available pull outs suitable for a trailer (and we were early season and it was not at all busy), it wouldn't be my preferred method unless I was pressed for time.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Depends a lot on your rig. Very different experience for folks in a big motorhome vs a pop-up, and I'd have different suggestions for each.

I live in Lynchburg, VA, and have hosted at an NFS campground just off the Parkway at the northern end for several years (Sherando Lake, for what that's worth.) While I have been to the southern end (Biltmore Estate is not to be missed), I'm most familiar with the north end.

Near that north end, besides Monticello, nearby attractions include the American Shakespeare Theater in Staunton; the Route 151 "brewpub alley" with multiple breweries, cideries, wineries, and a distillery; the surrender grounds at Appomattox; and many more.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
We drove almost the whole length of it back in 2007 and I completely loved it. If you stay on the Parkway, after about the third day of it you begin to feel completely disconnected from the "outside world." The slow pace, the views, the peace and quiet, the historical sites, the primitive (dry) campsites, all of it combine together to give you a new perspective on things. I highly recommend it.

We found Rose Houk's book, The Blue Ridge Parkway Road Guide, to be well worth the money.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with valhalla360 about not taking the RV on the parkway. Besides the parking problem at viewpoints, there are very few places on the parkway where an RV can be turned around should you want to.

We did the entire Blue Ridge Parkway plus Skyline Drive in about two weeks, choosing to camp at RV parks close to parkway entrances. I believe there were five camps, three nights at each camp. There were side trips to Monticello and Charlottesville.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll be there this summer. Staying at the Lynchburg/BlueRidgeParkway KOA (Natural Bridge). First time in the area so looking forward to it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We just did it 2 weeks ago.

I'd say the north and south ends were best but the central portion was still very nice.

The National Park site has updates on closures but it's in a table and unless you are familiar, it's a pain to translate those onto the map. Also GPS routing wants to keep getting you off because it's a slow route...not a big issue except when trying to get off to bypass closures, you have to play with the route to get it to chose the exit you want.

You can drive the RV along the route but unless you are pressed for time, I would suggest driving the parallel routes and then do day trips on the parkway. It's fairly narrow with no shoulders and the pavement often has large drop offs, so you have to focus on the road more than the scenery. A lot of the pull offs won't accommodate an RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV