cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

is a surge protector necessary for a basic travel trailer?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of questions re. surge protectors:

I read in another 'surge protector' thread that they are most necessary in units with finely tuned electronics...

Our trailer (in signature) is quite basic...no slides, no electronic control panels, no internal computers--we have 'electrics', but the only things I'd categorize as 'electronics' would be the thermostat, the microwave and maybe the 'how full are the tanks' monitor panel...

is surge protector actually necessary (understanding having one in place wouldn't hurt)? Also, we normally are on shore power but occasionally run off a portable inverter generator to keep it 'exercised'....if necessary, is that only when on shore power, only when on generator, or both?
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
36 REPLIES 36

murphsfromaz
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
murphsfromaz wrote:
I use them for piece of mind. On my third Progressive EMS right now. Actually had one burn in a pedestal. There is a campground I stay at frequently that has a sign on every pedestal. The rules, which one states recommendation of Surge protectors.

I guess signs are cheaper than replacing worn and abused outlets. I have seen surge protectors wasted by folks that plug their burned plugs into them. I use a short sacrificial cord to plug into the pedestal and then plug into that.

Yah itโ€™s on a military base so I am sure just a precaution. Just donโ€™t understand why people just donโ€™t get one. Itโ€™s only a couple hundred bucks.
US Army retired (1991-2011)
2021 Cruiser Stryker 2313
2021 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
murphsfromaz wrote:
I use them for piece of mind. On my third Progressive EMS right now. Actually had one burn in a pedestal. There is a campground I stay at frequently that has a sign on every pedestal. The rules, which one states recommendation of Surge protectors.

I guess signs are cheaper than replacing worn and abused outlets. I have seen surge protectors wasted by folks that plug their burned plugs into them. I use a short sacrificial cord to plug into the pedestal and then plug into that.

murphsfromaz
Explorer
Explorer
US Army retired (1991-2011)
2021 Cruiser Stryker 2313
2021 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
curt12914 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
We had another reply bragging about all the fancy equipment and multiple air conditioners, that is not the subject at hand.

I wasn't bragging, merely stating a fact that covers most of the people on this site.

How many people have rigs that don't have more electronics than just a single AC unit and a refrigerator? I don't know the last time I was in any kind of newer rig that didn't have at least a TV and microwave.

Everyone on this site uses some sort of a device to access the internet, that range from very simple to very expensive. The vast majority charge them from shore power in their rig.

My point was that it would be very easy to lose a lot of electronic devices that could easily exceed the cost of a surge suppressor with one electrical "event".

TVs, computers and even your "converter" all use "switching power supplies" now days. Switching power supplies simply do not care if you are feeding it less than 120V, in fact they don't care if it is pure sinewave, MSW, squarewaves or heck believe it or not feed it with DC voltages high enough to start the chopper in the power supply.

Much of what many people think are "sensitive" electronics in reality are not "sensitive".

Switching power supplies for 120V often will have a voltage "range" of 108V-130V 50hz/60hz, that is not my idea of being "sensitive"..

Some switching power supplies are dual voltage and or "auto ranging" and are capable of 108V-260V 50hz/60hz operation.

If some sort of add on "protection" makes you sleep better then use it.

Myself, I am not losing sleep over it and I don't have add on "protection"..

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have seen 100 volts NOT under load. I regularly use an autoformer and have tweaked it to "cut in" about 113 volts. My heaters produce more wattage, and the motor devices such as the air condtioner are much happier.

On the above mentioned 100 volts, I was able to safely run my air conditioner, but it did eventually trip the shore breaker.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
We had another reply bragging about all the fancy equipment and multiple air conditioners, that is not the subject at hand.

I wasn't bragging, merely stating a fact that covers most of the people on this site.

How many people have rigs that don't have more electronics than just a single AC unit and a refrigerator? I don't know the last time I was in any kind of newer rig that didn't have at least a TV and microwave.

Everyone on this site uses some sort of a device to access the internet, that range from very simple to very expensive. The vast majority charge them from shore power in their rig.

My point was that it would be very easy to lose a lot of electronic devices that could easily exceed the cost of a surge suppressor with one electrical "event".
2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Your basic trailer has just one thing that is worth more than $300 and that is the air conditioner. Air conditioners can be damaged by low voltage, so an inexpensive volt meter can tell you when it needs to be turned off. With an expensive EMS everything will be turned off if the voltage drops too low. One thing for sure is that there is a 100% chance that there will be $300 less in your wallet if you buy one and there is a very small chance that it will ever save you more than that.

Have you ever priced an RV refrigerator? How about TV's and other electronics.
Electrical surges and the damage is real. Having protection can be beneficial.
A surge is like insurance no one needs it until they do
l

I was answering the original poster who has a basic trailer. The refrigerator will only lose a circuit board and the electronics are nothing more than cheap junk that is easily replaced with better for little money.

Your right your answer is for the original poster. And to add to your answer don't the controls run on 12V not 120? so you can boondock? So not a whole lot to worry about.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
Seen all sorts of jury-rigged stuff in campgrounds. Knew 1 campground owner who was told by the local electric company that he should never make his own repairs again.

I don't doubt that a bit!!! I have seen some things at campgrounds that make me cringe!
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Your basic trailer has just one thing that is worth more than $300 and that is the air conditioner. Air conditioners can be damaged by low voltage, so an inexpensive volt meter can tell you when it needs to be turned off. With an expensive EMS everything will be turned off if the voltage drops too low. One thing for sure is that there is a 100% chance that there will be $300 less in your wallet if you buy one and there is a very small chance that it will ever save you more than that.

Have you ever priced an RV refrigerator? How about TV's and other electronics.
Electrical surges and the damage is real. Having protection can be beneficial.
A surge is like insurance no one needs it until they do
l

I was answering the original poster who has a basic trailer. The refrigerator will only lose a circuit board and the electronics are nothing more than cheap junk that is easily replaced with better for little money.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Your house is NOT subjected to power provided by all sorts of different campgrounds that may or may not have been wired by qualified people.

Mike134 wrote:
They are a great marketing toy. Have an RV surge protector on your incoming house wires? me either.

It all starts at a generating plant some goes to your house some to the campground. BTW my qualifications are a retired Master Electrician to post about surge protection and yours?

Fulltime RVer and workamper since 2006. Seen all sorts of jury-rigged stuff in campgrounds. Knew 1 campground owner who was told by the local electric company that he should never make his own repairs again. I've used a progressive EMS for most of my time and it's saved my gear numerous times. Granted, that's different than a surge suppressor but I stand by my statement about power in campgrounds and RV parks.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
curt12914 wrote:
My rig is 50 amp. With that said, we often end up at campgrounds that have only 30 amp service.
I really hate to think about buying two. Can I adapt up from a 30 amp service to a 50 amp surge protector plugged into my 50 amp power cord?

Yes. Plug in your 30-50 adapter to shore, and then your 50A surge protector between that and your rig.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

curt12914
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is 50 amp. With that said, we often end up at campgrounds that have only 30 amp service.
I really hate to think about buying two. Can I adapt up from a 30 amp service to a 50 amp surge protector plugged into my 50 amp power cord?

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
What I find missing from all the stories how the flashing lights, bells and whistles on the surge protector indicating it saved you from a surge are reports of what damage occurred to your next-door neighbor at the next pedestal who didn't buy one.
Buy all means if you feel better buy one.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
JKJavelin wrote:
Got a refrigerator?
Got a furnace?
Got an air conditioner?
Yup, you need one.
But.... what you really need is an EMS for true protection.
JK

yep- low voltage will get you ( and your electronics, esp A/C) more often than surges
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard