Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: is a surge protector necessary for a basic travel trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> is a surge protector necessary for a basic travel trailer?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Quartzsite, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surge protection is unnecessary unless you are plugged in and have a surge. Then it is tooooo late.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In thunderstorm country the lights may cut out for several seconds. A "recloser" has protected the line. But if the strike is between the transformer and your service there is no protection. I made my own protector. Two plates of copper separated with .005" mica spacers on the corners. The house is disconnected via a high current knife switch. One day I returned from a mini vacation and found no power. Lightning had hit somewhere on the 250' service drop. The grounded copper plates were gone. The 10 gauge wire from the plate to a ground rod was gone. The above ground part of the copper plated steel rod was mangled. The 3 wire service drop was melted and mangled. I had to buy lengths of 6 AWG copper wire, and a new "mufa" with meter base for the service drop. It was expensive.

I also dissected a power management RV service box that had been hit by lightning. The inside was charred and smelled horrible.

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your house is NOT subjected to power provided by all sorts of different campgrounds that may or may not have been wired by qualified people.

Mike134 wrote:

They are a great marketing toy. Have an RV surge protector on your incoming house wires? me either.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
Campground Tees

glkids2

future full timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at a progressive EMS. I have had mine since 2014. It has saved issues on 3 separate times. 2 low power and 1 miss wired plug that I know of. The 2 low times the ems cut power before damage occurred and the missed wired plug was setup for 220 and once again would not pass power and nothing burned up including the trailer

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

Your house is NOT subjected to power provided by all sorts of different campgrounds that may or may not have been wired by qualified people.

Mike134 wrote:

They are a great marketing toy. Have an RV surge protector on your incoming house wires? me either.

A surge is not a foolproof device. But it does provide protection against surges.
Much like insurance you do not need it until disaster happens.
Do you have insurance on your house? Enough said

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

It all starts at a generating plant some goes to your house some to the campground. BTW my qualifications are a retired Master Electrician to post about surge protection and yours?

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

Got a refrigerator? (the heating element is on shore power, controls are on the 12V side)
Got a furnace? (runs on 12V even with shore power)
Got an air conditioner? Has your house AC been fried in a lighting storm?
Yup, you need one.
But.... what you really need is an EMS for true protection.
JK

As someone above said your real worry in a campground is a brownout. Much more likely to happen.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

It's not necessary until lightning hits a tree about 15' from your camper.
Then you will give serious thought to installing one. Trust me.

Dang, that will make your hair stand on end... literally

Funny story, I had built my own subwoofer with 500amp hooked to 15" driver.

When I first set it up, watching a movie, and there was an on screen explosion, at the exact same time lightening hitting my next door neighbor's tree. I said holy cow, that sub really puts it out. Well it did, but not like that [emoticon]

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your basic trailer has just one thing that is worth more than $300 and that is the air conditioner. Air conditioners can be damaged by low voltage, so an inexpensive volt meter can tell you when it needs to be turned off. With an expensive EMS everything will be turned off if the voltage drops too low. One thing for sure is that there is a 100% chance that there will be $300 less in your wallet if you buy one and there is a very small chance that it will ever save you more than that.

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Your basic trailer has just one thing that is worth more than $300 and that is the air conditioner. Air conditioners can be damaged by low voltage, so an inexpensive volt meter can tell you when it needs to be turned off. With an expensive EMS everything will be turned off if the voltage drops too low. One thing for sure is that there is a 100% chance that there will be $300 less in your wallet if you buy one and there is a very small chance that it will ever save you more than that.

I guess mine is not a "basic trailer". I have two AC units, a refrigerator, three TVs, satellite receivers and a microwave that are all quite costly to replace.

Most people have laptops, I pads, tablets or smart phones that they recharge, at some point in their trailer.

With that said, I have had some sort of RV for nearly 40 years and have never had a problem. I guess I am on borrowed time and I should think about getting a system to protect the electrical circuits.

What system are you recommending for a 50 amp RV?

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> is a surge protector necessary for a basic travel trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.