cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

should Onan gen make noise when applying load and shut down?

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
My 6 year old Onan 4000 generator is making a more noticeable noise when applying load and when shutting down. Almost sounds like a muffler leak for a moment, otherwise it runs quieter. Is this normal, I don't recall.
6 REPLIES 6

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Found "Yes" if the droop is incorrectly set. Making the adjustment cures it.

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
So after using Seafoam and 1 gallon of fresh gas treatment the generator has quieted down, for start of applying load and shut down. And new hearing aids work great!

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
Onan attempts to maintain the same RPM - so yeah it runs a bit louder when it's under load. NBD. You and I should get together and have Alzheimer drink.

Getting new hearing aids on Wednesday or is it Thursday???

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œYou and I should get together and have Alzheimer drink.โ€

We need a reason or excuse? lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Onan attempts to maintain the same RPM - so yeah it runs a bit louder when it's under load. NBD. You and I should get together and have Alzheimer drink.
Kevin

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The engine is working harder when it's under load, and so will naturally sound louder/different than when not under load. Whether yours is normal or has a muffler hole or something rattling or whatever is another question entirely.

Shutting down generally just sounds like any small engine shutting down. If you mean shutting down when under load vs. shutting down when not under load, it's best to avoid shutting down under load if at all possible (and preferably give it a minute or so not under load to cool down before shutting it down finally).