Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dish Wally Receiver DVR Hard Drive
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish Wally Receiver DVR Hard Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YC 1 wrote:

Fantastic information Gdetrailer. Thanks for the input. Does not past the "logic" test for me but I can be taught. I'm an old dog with an open mind,

Yeah, back when the company I was working for first started replacing spinners with SSDs I was pretty shocked seeing the SSDs having a higher current draw rating than the spinners the SSDs were replacing.. I just naturally thought that SDDs "should" consume less power because they don't have a motor or arm moving about..

Counter intuitive for sure.

On edit..

Rummaged through my junk bins..

Found a 250 GB spinning rust drive and a 256 GB SSD drive to take pictures of..

250 GB spinning rust

[image]

256 GB SSD

[image]

Yep, Spinner at .45A and SSD at 1.7A..

Granted, much newer SSD drives HAVE improved but the last SSD I installed was a 1TB drive and it was still rated right at the 1.0A rating.

* This post was edited 04/13/21 08:43am by Gdetrailer *

Geeze

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikefos wrote:

Howdy,
I am outfitting our rig w/ a Dish Wally receiver and want to attach an external hard drive (EHD) for a DVR. There is a lot of conflicting info on the web as to whether an EHD attached to a Wally needs its own external power source (plugged into the wall outlet in my case) or can simply use the power coming through the USB cable coming from the Wally. The external power source requirement is not currently on the Dish web site so I wonder if that requirement has been done away with w/ newer models of the Wally. For those who have installed this setup fairly recently, what EHD did you use and does it simply use the power coming through the USB cable or does it use external power for the EHD.
Thanks,
Mike

I have one on my Wally it doesn't need an external power source. Just make sure the hard drive you use doesn't need a power source. You do have to pay a one time fee to use a hard drive as a DVR but that fee is good for as many as you want to add. The bad part is the receiver formats the hard drive in such a way as you can only play recorded programming back through the same receiver it was recorded on.

mikefos

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy,
OP here, thanks for all the input. I ended up ordering this one for $62. The price went back up to $109 a day after I ordered it, whew.

WD 2TB external hard drive

Mike

Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Dish Wally Receiver DVR Hard Drive
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.