cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So different now

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on the road since Feb 6th 2019. We love this lifestyle but since covid19 it is so hard to find places to camp. During the week is fine but when u include weekends with ur stay they have nothing. I'm ready to look for small home but hubby keeps telling me it will get better. More people camping cause of covid. Just too stressful to be fun anymore. Anyone's thoughts are sure welcome. Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
15 REPLIES 15

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. I appreciate it!

Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Take a different approach. Near cities and attractions are where the 'weekend' crowd in prime season whelmes camps.
Adjust your plans to off prime visits in even the most desirable locations prime sites in desirable locations will be available at discounted rates on short notice.
Find new developing private camps where the 'word' hasnt gotten out yet, Might not be much for facilities, grass young, construction of amenity ongoing but it will be welcoming $ reasonable and spacious. 6 rigs in an 60 site section. Mgmt gave us 2 sites for our mc trailer and truck parking. Told him I d water the grass both sites.
We are in one like that now in Bandera, prime Tx hill country. have been using new camps for years in prime places and times.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve been full-timers for 7 years, and discovered early on that we never pull into a campground without a reservation. Now, it may have been made from 3 hours away on the road, but itโ€™s worked for us. Of course we have always made sure to pick a place to be for holidays and make those reservations well in advance. We had no issue booking anything last year, and have made travel plans into mid year from AZ to AL with no issue booking any days. YMMV
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some city county parks are great, Mason Texas has a good one and Jetty Park at Cape Canaveral is fantastic, right on the beach. We've stayed at others and have seen one bad one, Atlantic NE, avoid at all costs...heh.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Freecampsites.net We use this while traveling. We find some real gems, these are in small town parks or county parks. Some have one night free or a donation box others $10 - 15 a night none are on Interstates almost all on US marked roads. All we have stayed at have at least 30 amp some with water and occationaly full hookups.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been from S FL to central PA in the past year. Spent 2 weeks in Fl during spring break and bike week with no problem finding spots on either coast of FL. Lots of happy travels, no troubles.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is only weekends!! Last year we had no problem was out west and yes we boondock r very equipped for it. Solar panels mounted and generator and an extra 40 gallon water holder. It is in the eastern area. I'm glad alot of u haven't had a problem. Yes we hate having reservations. The beauty of this lifestyle is just going and stop along way.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Reservations are a love/hate thing.
Mostly hate here. I make them rarely, only if it's an absolute must. It makes camping like a job.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
IB853347201 wrote:
One word. "Reservations!"
Planning ahead relieves stress and frustration.

Reservations are a love/hate thing.

Around holidays for specific parks, sure.
For the next stop, 2 days from now, sure.

For 2 weeks from now, 4 travel days, it creates stress as you feel obliged to travel even if the weather or something else is not conducive to travel.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
IB853347201 wrote:

We have not found that not to be the case, 2500 miles so far since mid-March and got turned down once when calling ahead an hour or so to get a spot. And that was because of the snowbird exodus from FL. We mix boondocking with private/public camps.

We are in southern AZ right now headed for Flagstaff for some boondocking with an overnight stop at an AZ state park, which had plenty of empty spots.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Boondocking is the answer. Properly set up an RV is very comfortable without hooks. Fresh water and a dump are almost always available.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
One word. "Reservations!".
I interpreted his post to mean when he includes weekends in a reservation it doesn't work. But yeah, not clear.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Where are you camping that you can't find sites?

Over the last 7 months, we did a big circle from Michigan, to Utah, to California, to Texas, to Florida back to Michigan.

Only time we had a minor issue was around spring break in Florida, there was a week where we ran into a few parks that were booked out but even there is was just a minor hassle of calling around to find a place with vacancy.

In the snowbird areas, we got some great deals as all the Canadians are stuck in the north and the parks are half empty.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
2010 Suncruiser