Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 5050 miles in 9 Travel Days
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 5050 miles in 9 Travel Days

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Though technically, more like 8 travel days......as a truck electrical issue kept us at only 100 miles (+/-) for one day. This was towing a 40 ft., 20K 5th wheel! The entire outing was 13 days, with the off-days (rest days)....traveling solo, while visiting relatives and attending baseball games!

A while back, there was a topic about stopping rv’ing @70 years of age. At closing in on 70, I don’t think it’s time to stop....but, a marathon trip like in the title .....isn’t as easy as it once was.

I’m not going into details, but, this was a lot more miles than we were supposed to travel.....and certainly in a shorter time frame. I’ll save the details for a chapter in my book “Life’s Challenges”! [emoticon] memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's an aggressive schedule! Glad though that you are not ready to stop nor feel like it. At soon to be 65, I've still got traveling on my mind!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully, you enjoy driving. Short of an emergency, that sounds miserable.

To a degree I enjoy driving but... We assume a 50mph average (with hook up, gas stops etc.), so 101hr in 9 days, would be an average of over 11hr per day with only 4 down days.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do enjoy driving.....but, this was a little too much pleasure! [emoticon] There were some unforeseen changes that changed our 2 to 3 week visit with 3500 travel miles into 5 days visiting and 9 days travel totaling 5050. The joys of life’s little detours! [emoticon] memtb

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

560 miles a day average for nine days isn't fun IMO.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

back in our pre-RV days we once lingered too long on a vacation in the PNW. in order to get back to our jobs in time near Chicago we had to drive all night. we started out from Sacramento CA at 0600 their time and drobe straight thru to Des Moines IA...36-driving hours later. up early the next morning for another 5-hr drive home and work the next day, all in our 1975 Mustang. we swapped drivers every two hours until we hit SLC at midnight. we then did 4-hr shifts so we could kinda sorta get some sleep.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A while back, there was a topic about stopping rv’ing @70 years of age. At closing in on 70, I don’t think it’s time to stop....but, a marathon trip like in the title .....isn’t as easy as it once was.

Ah Phooey, I'm 72 and just getting started. We did a trail yesterday with a 800 ft climb in a mile. Nothing to brag about but we are just getting our hiking legs back, There is a YT channel on old mine exploration and one of the two guys doing it is 85. And he is climbing up and down 300 foot shafts.
Some folks do have debilitating health problems, but so do some 25 year olds. God has seen fit to let us be active.

How do you even drive 5000 miles in the US without going up into Canada? The most we every did was 1900 miles in 4 1/2 days. North Florida to Yosemite. Had reservations to keep.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

That thread was just to stir the pot, it was put up by a known troll, and it was just to get people aggravated. Which it did.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing like stopping to smell the roses

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't tell you about one extreme entry in our log, but I now travel with more relaxing exposure and firmly believe:

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.
Charles Kuralt

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 5050 miles in 9 Travel Days
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.