Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Lights on a bicycle carrier
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lights on a bicycle carrier

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
docsouce

Seekonk Ma.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a Swagman Dispatch to carry our 2 bicycles on our Jayco 26xd class C. I set it up today with the bikes on it for the first time. Checking the set up out it seemed that the stop/directional lights are block out a little. Not much but when standing on either side the opposite light is not really visible. So have any of you folks that carry bicycles installed a set of lights on the outside ends of the bike rack?

2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Lwiddis

Glass Creek area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy to do. Better safer than sorry. CW and eTrailer both carry LED lights. Do you have a trailer plug at the rear of your C?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done it... depending on the carrier a set of Tow Lights on a bar works well I had a cargo carrier UNDER the Bicycle and mounted on that.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need for extra lights from your description. But if you want install LEDs and plug into the trailer plug.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Swagman XTC4 and I noticed the lights can be blocked, but they show through the spokes. I hav been look8mg for very small LEDs. To mount on the rack or last bike. Haven’t come across them yet. The 4 bike rack sticks out pretty far. I’m sure by the law I need a flag or lights. I did install some reflective tape on the last support.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fact that you even posted about this shows that you know there is a concern. For all of you who have bike racks or anything coming close to your rear lights, please respect the rest of us and put on unobstructed lights. You can get magnetic towing lights at Harbor Freight for 32.99.

Do you really want to HOPE that I see your brake light through your bikes spokes?
Very small thing to do to show your consideration to others and your adherence to best safety practices. It is simply the right thing to do

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed the same thing on my Swagman (especially if the bikes are covered) and good for you for taking notice and asking. There are lots of small plug and play lights that you can mount to make them visible. I would imagine a lot of the newer ones are LED so smaller and brighter. I just used an old magnetic tow light set I already had. I think I paid $30 at Lowes.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Martyn

Panama City Beach, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docsouce wrote:

So have any of you folks that carry bicycles installed a set of lights on the outside ends of the bike rack?

I installed these on my Thule rack. They work perfectly. Had to do a bit of work extending the wires to reach the trailer plug, but they are just great.

Trailer Light Bars

2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4l BigHorn;
Pullright Superglde; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good discussion - I was following a trailer last year in MT (near Glacier). They had 2 bikes on the back. I could see one tail light but not the other. I could see where this would get into trouble especially if changing lanes on the freeway. An approaching car could not see your intent and would not have time to react to your lane change. This idea of accessory lights is a great idea.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, I have to relocate my bike rack, mounted on RV spare tire, which at first block the license plate, then the signal/stop lights. Well, now I don't mind at all that I have to put a rubber spacer as it's scraping the generator dinging both without it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lights on a bicycle carrier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.