cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camco Trailer Aid did not aid at all

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered Goodyear tires for the Apex, decided I'd take the wheels / Castle Rocks off myself and take them to the shop. Pulled up on the Camco Trailer Aid and the tire didn't lift any at all. The shackles simply transferred the weight to the tire on the ground. So after 30 minutes of prep unhooking everything, swapping hitches, hooking up, moving twice, removing RV hitch from truck....I got out the trusty jacks and two spare tires. 30 minutes later I was done removing all four tires the old fashioned way. One spare on each side, one jack under the front springs. Sometimes it pays to trust your instincts and not the sales pitch LOL!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS
22 REPLIES 22

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
My metal Tractor Supply version worked fine on our former Jayco
345BHS. The replacement Blue Ridge 3025RL not so much.
The difference was over slung versus under slung axles. Under slung worked but of course by the only time I needed it on the road we had the over slung 5er.

Yep, I'm an over the top setup as well.
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
lwbfl wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
lwbfl wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

IMHO, the main issue with carrying a floor jack is most times you need it other than home you are missing a very important part to make it work safely; a floor.

It's all I've carried for 30+ years. A 2x6 goes along with it. Until two years ago I never had anything but dirt and grass to work in so I'm well equipped for that LOL!

Yes you can haul the floor too. But it takes more thought about where to put the board than bottle jack. More danger of falling, but less likely to be under when falls

Doesn't everyone carry tools in their truck? I have multiple boards in the toolbox. I've used this jack with everything from a F250 with a 16" lift to Airstreams, Pop-Ups, utility trailers, etc. Never had a problem so far. You just have to use common sense (a super power these days) and be smarter than what you're working with.

Yes on the carry tools. Have blocks to level the trailer. My point is if you have a jack that lifts in a straight line, Scissor, screw or bottle, you only need a base as big as the tire footprint, unless you are cutting ruts with tire. And the base must only be thick enough for the jack to lift tire off the ground.
OTOH, the floor jack lifts in a arc. On a hard surface, concrete floor or other hard, fairly smooth surface, this is not a issue, if even noticed. As the jack lifts, the base rolls, moving under the load. In fact, the higher it lifts the more the weight evens out on wheels. Can you use a board under the jack? Sure, but the board must be long enough, wide enough and positioned so the moving jack stays on the board as it moves. And the board must be hard enough the wheels roll with the load on them. If the fiction preventing carriage from moving is more than friction between lift plate and lift point the jack will slip. And while that is unlikely to injury you because not under when working jack it can cause damage.
My system is pull the flat up on my leveling ramps so the axle is as high as when tire is inflated, the heavy lifting is done. Then position jack and block so have some reserve down stroke, and lift until I can pull ramp out. Yes, I'm under when jacking, but if it drops can't fall below where it started. And I'm in position to see any pressure that might make it slide. Ramp out, tire changed nuts snugged, let the jack down.
Somebody mentioned "common sense" Think part of that idea is deciding which tool to carry for the job.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
My metal Tractor Supply version worked fine on our former Jayco
345BHS. The replacement Blue Ridge 3025RL not so much.
The difference was over slung versus under slung axles. Under slung worked but of course by the only time I needed it on the road we had the over slung 5er.
Puma 30RKSS

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at a picture of what i think was your set up, maybe the extra height alows the axels to move more. Works on mine, but everyone is diffrent. I do also carry 2 bottle jacks and the tv jack and a 2nd spare. I dont want to get stuck. Ever. Wood is good for a base , or a hill also. I learned that with just my truck long ago. You do you!
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
I will agree, carry extra cribbing. My trailor aid works fine, if you need another 1/2 inch put a board under it. Or use the bottle jack or whatever else you want to carry with you. Sometimes you need more then one thing to accomplish your goals.

My issue was the higher I lift one tire, the more it pushes the other one down. I would have had to jack the tire up about 6" to get it off the ground with the rear axle on the aid. With the shackles hooked together, they can actually flip down quite a distance! With both on the ground I lifted it 2" and changed them with ease. I'm not sure how much higher I'd have to get one tire before the other finally cleared the ground but it would be a significant angle an I'd rather just use the jack to lift the tire 2" and let the TT stay level.
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I will agree, carry extra cribbing. My trailor aid works fine, if you need another 1/2 inch put a board under it. Or use the bottle jack or whatever else you want to carry with you. Sometimes you need more then one thing to accomplish your goals.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
lwbfl wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
lwbfl wrote:
I've listed it for sale on Marketplace and will just use my floor jack. It barely took 15 minutes to change out the spare today.

And to many comments here and abroad, yes it is best to test in the comfort of home and not during a true emergency. !

IMHO, the main issue with carrying a floor jack is most times you need it other than home you are missing a very important part to make it work safely; a floor.

It's all I've carried for 30+ years. A 2x6 goes along with it. Until two years ago I never had anything but dirt and grass to work in so I'm well equipped for that LOL!

Yes you can haul the floor too. But it takes more thought about where to put the board than bottle jack. More danger of falling, but less likely to be under when falls

Doesn't everyone carry tools in their truck? I have multiple boards in the toolbox. I've used this jack with everything from a F250 with a 16" lift to Airstreams, Pop-Ups, utility trailers, etc. Never had a problem so far. You just have to use common sense (a super power these days) and be smarter than what you're working with.
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
lwbfl wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
lwbfl wrote:
I've listed it for sale on Marketplace and will just use my floor jack. It barely took 15 minutes to change out the spare today.

And to many comments here and abroad, yes it is best to test in the comfort of home and not during a true emergency. !

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
lwbfl wrote:

1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
lwbfl wrote:

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
I've listed it for sale on Marketplace and will just use my floor jack. It barely took 15 minutes to change out the spare today. Anyway, I have the GYs installed and noticed they have an extra ply in the tread and are significantly more heavy than the Castle Rocks. The tech commented several times about the weight of the GYs. And to many comments here and abroad, yes it is best to test in the comfort of home and not during a true emergency. That's why we yard camp so much!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Tire spacing is why it works on my horse trailer but not the wide stance axles on my TT

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I also think the space between the tires can make a big difference. My TA plus works very well with both spring system, and torsion.

Jerry

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve used the Trailer Aid several times and had no problem. Standard 3500# axles. Others have reported it doesnโ€™t lift high enough, also. Maybe itโ€™s the spring packs, equalizers, or space between tires.
As stated, it is best to try your system at home first.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch