cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Misplaced Keys

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later with only one set of keys. Misplaced and of course she's all closed up for the winter with the door handles and deadbolts locked as well as the hatches. Any non destructive suggestions? I'm pretty sure the keys will turn up but DW wants something out of the trailer.

Thanks for looking.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision
22 REPLIES 22

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
Well I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later with only one set of keys. Misplaced and of course she's all closed up for the winter with the door handles and deadbolts locked as well as the hatches. Any non destructive suggestions? I'm pretty sure the keys will turn up but DW wants something out of the trailer.

Thanks for looking.

I ALWAYS have a set in hand and one in the truck. Always, having learned the hard way.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
philh wrote:
electronic locks can be your friend ๐Ÿ™‚

Trailer keys stay in the truck, which has a keypad on the outside.

Until the truck battery dies.
Puma 30RKSS

zenasboy
Explorer
Explorer
we keep a spare set in a magnetic box inside the hitch on our 5th wheel. they've saved us a couple of times when we accidentally locked the keys inside.

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Until I had the remote lock thing, I could not be trusted with keys. I have a regrettable history! To avoid any issues, we have an extra set of truck keys in the camper and an extra camper key in the truck.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
electronic locks can be your friend ๐Ÿ™‚

Trailer keys stay in the truck, which has a keypad on the outside.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:

Thanks for looking.

Well that's what happens when you rely on one set of keys. Why don't you have a spare set that stays in the tow vehicle. I do, for boat and ATV and travel trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
After trying every other key ya own, in case one might work, does it have a typical escape window? The one with the little bar that locks it or props it open. You might? be able to slim Jim into that window and pop the bar up in which case you could crawl into it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
At one time in the 1960s Oldsmobile only made 7 -8 different key combinations for all its cars. This also applies to your lock.

Well, Global Link has 90 key combinations for RVs and then there are at least 7 other manufacturers of RV locks, so there's a lot of potential keys to check.

As far as picking, if they're global link it's going to be quite difficult because they have both top and bottom pins.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Locksmiths have so many tricks...scary!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
At one time in the 1960s Oldsmobile only made 7 -8 different key combinations for all its cars. This also applies to your lock.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Zinger...I agree, the deadbolt lock a slight bit better than universal, but if you read my first post, my other trailer key worked easily in the handle, and dead bolt lock.

I might add that the keys for my FW door locks are slightly different, but the dead bolt key, works easily for both. Yes, my FW dead bolt key, easily unlocks my snowmobile trailer door, both handle and dead bolt.

Most RV locks are of cheap design, and many keys will interchange.

Jerry

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
If you are near a trailer dealer, you may check to see if they will loan some keys to you to try. I think these cheap RV locks are similar, even the dead bolts. I had a key on my truck ring, I thought was for my FW, and used it to easily open the double locked door. When I grabbed the camper keys later, which has 2 separate keys for the door, and of course the 751 baggage key, I realized the key I used earlier, was for the side RV type door on my enclosed snowmobile trailer. Comparing the keys, pretty similar.

You just need a key from a dealer that works well, copy it, buy it from dealer, if an extra.

Jerry

I think the latch is universal but the dead bolt is not. When i dropped mine off for warranty work a few years ago they had me lock the handle but unlock the dead bolt. Even though it was the same key? they said that they had a master key for the handle but the dead bolt was more specific.

But it sounds like both are locked so i can't offer much help. definitely get a spare set once you get it unlocked.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are near a trailer dealer, you may check to see if they will loan some keys to you to try. I think these cheap RV locks are similar, even the dead bolts. I had a key on my truck ring, I thought was for my FW, and used it to easily open the double locked door. When I grabbed the camper keys later, which has 2 separate keys for the door, and of course the 751 baggage key, I realized the key I used earlier, was for the side RV type door on my enclosed snowmobile trailer. Comparing the keys, pretty similar.

You just need a key from a dealer that works well, copy it, buy it from dealer, if an extra.

Jerry

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Windows are easy enuf to open.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE