Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Arctic Fox 1150 is breaking my 2016 Ford 350 dually
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox 1150 is breaking my 2016 Ford 350 dually

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the OPs issue is like rickjos pics then yes it appears the outside rails of camper aren’t able to be supported by the bed structure.
After maybe 20k miles of hauling an AF860 in a short bed (similar stresses I’d imagine), the camper, early on, dented the very rear of the truck bed floor on both sides under the edge of the camper. But the camper seemed to “settle in” there and not further damage the truck bed.
Bottom line, TCs aren’t the “distributed load” on the bed floor that they would appear to be. Taking the bottom cover off of mine to repair a tank support piece confirmed it. The bulk of the weight is transferred to the truck on the 2 outside edges.
If I got a new truck and heavy TC, I would absolutely consider a layer of plywood or foam if I was concerned about damage to the truck bed.
Pickup beds ain’t indestructible. That’s why flatbeds, hauler beds and dump boxes are made. For heavier use than a pretty truck bed can handle.
With TCs being a unique and very small % of end users of pickup trucks, it stands to reason that trucks aren’t specifically designed to haul TCs.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

Sorry about duplicates, it's harder to post pics on a phone...

Anyway, it's on both sides of bed. At about the same intensity.

I did bolster the tail of the camper for a while, to stop movement, but I think it just made it worse, as the forces were increased on the trail of the bed, rather than just letting it rock around on the rubber mat.

Next time it's going to be an F550 or Ram 5500. I blame the aluminum bed currently.

It looks like you're using bed-mount tie-downs. An aluminum bed, heavy camper, and bed-mount tie-downs sounds like a recipe for these kinds of damages. I'd switch to frame mount to prevent further damage, or use this as an excuse to buy a flat bed with storage boxes.

2019 Ram 3500 HO/AISIN CCLB DRW Longhorn
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no such thing as a bed-only mount for a 5000lb camper.

The happy jacks at the front are mounted through the bed, but tie into the frame rails below. Bed only attachment would have fallen off years ago...

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

There's no such thing as a bed-only mount for a 5000lb camper.

Edit - looks like HappiJac is sort-of, kind-of "frame mount", but the TorkLift design appears much better.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The happy jack vs tork lift debate is a whole other subject... Which I'd love to do at another time when I have a full keyboard rather than my phone.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's no mystery here about why this is happening, it's a heavy camper moving around while in transit, on a marginal truck for the weight of the camper.

I was just wondering if others are having the same issues with their 10-12' ~5000lb campers.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

There's no mystery here about why this is happening, it's a heavy camper moving around while in transit, on a marginal truck for the weight of the camper.

I was just wondering if others are having the same issues with their 10-12' ~5000lb campers.

No issue with my 1140 on a 2019 Ram 3500. Lots of off-road use and a lot of bloat as well - probably a good bit heavier than your 1150 unless you carry a lot. We full-time in it and have full storage compartments, lots of spare parts, and heavy tools. Our solar/electrical system alone adds around 700lbs. Our camper doesn't seem to budge, with Torklift mounts and Fastguns, spray-in bedliner, and a 3/8" DeeZee rubber mat.

[image]

While I've been somewhat considering a 5500, it's hard to justify since everything is working so well on my 3500. It took some trial and error on the suspension for me to be happy with it, but otherwise, no issues or complaints.

* This post was edited 04/14/21 09:37am by an administrator/moderator *

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your 2019 Dodge have a steel bed, rather than aluminum, as the Ford does now?

Here's a good video an info for a ram 5500 flatbed. About half price of a Douglas body, so he says.

https://www.stablecamper.com/truck-beds

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

Does your 2019 Dodge have a steel bed, rather than aluminum, as the Ford does now?

Here's a good video an info for a ram 5500 flatbed. About half price of a Douglas body, so he says.

Yeah, steel. I agree with you that the aluminum is the issue, not so much the weight of the camper if that weren't the case.

rickjo

SW New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

Avid Fox wrote:

Yeah, steel. I agree with you that the aluminum is the issue, not so much the weight of the camper if that weren't the case.

NO the aluminum bed is NOT the issue. I have had both. The 2004 steel bed was much worse. As I indicate in my earlier posts, the horse stall mats and Torklift tie downs have made bed damage in my aluminum bed a non-issue. My aluminum bed still looks new after 15k miles on the new setup.

Rick

2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox 1150 is breaking my 2016 Ford 350 dually
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.