Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD Hitch or not?

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

I am towing a 26' 7000 pound gross travel trailer with my 2018 Ram 3500 CC SB truck. Do I need a weight distributing hitch with this combo?

The Ram manual states the max tongue weight for 2500/3500 trucks is 1800 pounds but does not say if that is with/without WD. There is no mention of WD in the manual except for the section about how to adjust spring bar tension.

Thoughts?

-Drew
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
24 REPLIES 24

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
FYI...didn't know that there is a 3" receiver !!!

Tow Hitch Receiver Sizes โ€“ Learn About the Different Classes

Regardless of what receiver you think you have on your vehicle, please measure! Ownerโ€™s manuals can be misleading and even dealerships can give you the wrong information so always measure your receiver to confirm you have the correct measurement/size.

Always remember that no matter what size receiver you have on your vehicle, your towing capacity is always limited to the lowest-rated component in your application. Whether that be your tow vehicle, the hitch, the ball mount, your trailer or any other component of your towing application.

Here is a guide to show you what our ball mounts are rated at in relation to receiver sizes.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Am ignorant in regard to the 2.5" receiver, and it's components & systems.

To me, like comparing a grade 8 1/2" bolt to a grade 8 3/8" bolt...the bigger cross-section would be of higher strength...

Glad you've decided on what to do and I'll continue to read up and educate myself some more
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
BenK,

Grit Dog is right that there is no label on the receiver. At least there is no label on the receiver of my 2018 Ram 3500. Also, Ram does not make mention of derating when the 2" adaptor is used, at least not in my manual.

My manual states that the class V hitch is rated for 18000 gross / 1800 max tongue. The Ram 2018 trailer towing guide states that the Class V receiver has a max tongue weight of 1800 pounds. That's what I have to go on.

I know how to set up a WD hitch for towing. I've been doing this for 20 years and my previous trailer was 35', 9750 lb gross, with 1400 lb tongue weight. I used a ProPride hitch to tow that.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone. As I already stated, I will try the WD hitch I have that uses 1200 pound bars and see how it goes. However, for local trips I may also try without the spring bars.

-Drew
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Ford derates their 2.5โ€ receiver when a 2โ€ sleeve is used...maybe RAM doesnโ€™t

Also, Ford has both a WD and weight carry (dead weight) ratings their 2.5โ€ receiver...maybe RAM doesnโ€™t

Not arguing, just trying to help the OP figure it out and now wondering why the OP hasnโ€™t posted an image of their receiverโ€™s ratings label...

This area wonโ€™t break instantly when over the limits...but will develop micro stress fractures over time. Mainly when the dynamic & shock loads approach the transition from plastic to deformation line...

BenK wrote:
Found time to do a quick search, but the OP has the truck and receiver, which should have the receiver rating label on it.

Here is a Ford 2.5 inch receiver label rating, which is a max 1900 lb tongue with a WD Hitch and a max 850 lb tongue without a WD Hitch (dead weight, or carry weight)...am assuming a RAMโ€™s would be similar, as they would both have a 2.5 inch receiver

So, it depends what the OPโ€™s trailer tongue weight is. Since they typically range from 10% to 15%...at 10% = 700 lbs...below the max and if at 15% 1,050 lbs...over the 850 lb rating

Bottom line: the OP needs to decide if they believe in the ratings system or not.

If not, then do whatever

IF yes, research the ratings for โ€˜yourโ€™ truck and then follow them, but need to actually weigh it

Drew A. wrote:
Greetings,

I am towing a 26' 7000 pound gross travel trailer with my 2018 Ram 3500 CC SB truck. Do I need a weight distributing hitch with this combo?

The Ram manual states the max tongue weight for 2500/3500 trucks is 1800 pounds but does not say if that is with/without WD. There is no mention of WD in the manual except for the section about how to adjust spring bar tension.

Thoughts?

-Drew
-Ben Picture of my rig

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:

Was hoping the OP would post a picture of their receiver rating label...and if they are using a 2" reducer sleeve...which also reduces the receiver rating at 2.5".

I suppose you didn't believe me the first time I stated there is no label and the capacity is 1800/18000, or are you just repeating yourself for some other reason?

I am curious how an adapter sleeve reduces the capacity of the receiver though...
There are other potential issues and/or component capacity reductions using the reducer sleeves, but please explain how the sleeve makes the receiver weaker.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
BackOfThePack...Welcome to the forum !

Agree with your comments and add that these ratings are to measure/record during a static loading condition.

Dynamically, these force vectors will be many times higher than the static vectors. Then shock vectors...

Also agree that it is the TV's steering the main reason for WD Hitches...to get the front suspension back to a better setup...which includes the tires as the main component to manage the moments against the TV. Lost to so many is that a tires slip angle is way larger when unloaded too much.

Was hoping the OP would post a picture of their receiver rating label...and if they are using a 2" reducer sleeve...which also reduces the receiver rating at 2.5".
-Ben Picture of my rig

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
You did not say if your truck has airbags that automatically keep the truck level (airing up when trailer is dropped on hitch).
If it levels itself then you do not need a WD hitch to help level.
If you are within the weight limit then you do not need a WD hitch.
The Ram manual is not talking about weights with using WD hitch unless it specifically states weights using a WD hitch.
A WD hitch will typically give a smoother ride and prevent the dolphin effect. A more comfy ride.

If your 7,000 gross weight trailer is loaded out to 7,000 lbs then your tongue weight should be 10-15% of that, 700-1,200 lbs or so. This is well under the rated 1,800 lbs your truck is designed for, so again, no you do not need a WD hitch necessarily. WD hitch would be for other benefits, not for tongue weight.

Put that hitched โ€œlevelโ€ TV on the scale. Thrn drop trailer and re-weigh. The weight on the Steer Axle WILL NOT be the same. Airbags (aftermarket, not air suspension) actually make handling worse.

Air suspension adds some complication to hitching. The system needs to be de-activated until scale numbers are set. And then checked again once activated (mainly via driving tests).

Itโ€™s NOT weight. Itโ€™s amelioration of FORCE.

Owners manuals go with the J2807 set of lies to sell pickups and exclude BETTER passenger vehicles from towing (most arenโ€™t tested and given a random low number). Itโ€™s only advice. Just not very good advice any more.

Done right, steering control is (as we used to say back in the dim dark 1960s) โ€œfingertipโ€.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say if your truck has airbags that automatically keep the truck level (airing up when trailer is dropped on hitch).
If it levels itself then you do not need a WD hitch to help level.
If you are within the weight limit then you do not need a WD hitch.
The Ram manual is not talking about weights with using WD hitch unless it specifically states weights using a WD hitch.
A WD hitch will typically give a smoother ride and prevent the dolphin effect. A more comfy ride.

If your 7,000 gross weight trailer is loaded out to 7,000 lbs then your tongue weight should be 10-15% of that, 700-1,200 lbs or so. This is well under the rated 1,800 lbs your truck is designed for, so again, no you do not need a WD hitch necessarily. WD hitch would be for other benefits, not for tongue weight.

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Belt & Suspenders approach is:

1) Hensley patent hitch (dialed in)
2) TUSON electronic trailer-mounted anti-sway (activates brakes; faster in operation than OEM TV-based systems).
3). Trailer ANTILOCK disc brakes are the only contender with the Pro Pride or Hensley hitch as to what should come first.
4). TT independent suspension (improved roll center height and widened track) is a not distant addition to those others.

โ€œTripping Hazardsโ€ like camber changes upset almost as many trailers as sudden crosswinds in some areas. Think of the VARIETY of ways TV & TV can be out of alignment in a vertical or horizontal plane. And then add other problems occurring at the same moment. No such thing as too much wheel travel for a trailer. INDEPENDENT movement.

Travel trailer wrecks are over in 1.5-seconds. Straight axle, sloppy steering 4WD itโ€™s over before driver ever knows thereโ€™s a problem. (โ€œLegal speedโ€ may have been no defense to other factors in play)

None of this is a skill problem (โ€œoh, Iโ€™m a good driverโ€. Hell, Mario Andretti couldnโ€™t counter a rear wheel slide). Good habits start with BEST hitch rigging. And conservative driving. Which has all but disappeared among RVers.

Scale numbers set fire pressures and hitch rigging. Are a huge help in analyzing new problems that come along. Are a baseline for any RVers records. Grab your son and a friend a make a day or weekend out of it.

Iโ€™ve quoted it three dozen times, but look instead for contributor โ€œRon Gratzโ€ 2010 post on the THREE PASS SCALE METHOD (its not by that name, exactly). Analyzing your hitch rigging is some arithmetic (we ainโ€™t talkin trig).

Once you get it , itโ€™s forever simple.
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWeightโ€ isnโ€™t the problem (sure, donโ€™t overload components). Understand that Tongue Weight IS NOT a constant, itโ€™s only a placeholder number. The trailer tongue is ONE END of a lever extending to the trailer axle center. On-road, that force (mass) changes with every foot of travel. It can increase or decrease by hundreds, even thousands of pounds.

The reason for a WDH is in the name: spread that FORCE over three sets of axles.

Loss of Steering Control is the game. The TOTAL AMOUNT of rubber contacting the ground under your Drive Axle tires is whatโ€™s at stake. That trailer gets frisky and wants to pass you (sway; or oscillation: rotation), itโ€™ll yank those rear TV tires free in a heartbeat.

The trailer tongue weight problem hasnโ€™t existed in almost sixty years. Was solved.

What WAS NOT solved (until 25-years ago) was in eliminating trailer- tow vehicle misalignment UNDER POSITIVE THROTTLE (the only stable state of a vehicle is when moving). Thatโ€™s with a Hensley patent hitch.

Loss of control accidents are about steering control being lost. Bad rig dynamics and poor operator decisions. THE PROBLEM REMAINING IS ADVERSE WINDS. (Why comparisons to a low construction trailer are meaningless). Itโ€™s the trailer SAIL AREA.

Worst trailer: high COG (slide outs) on narrow track leaf springs in non-aero square box design.
Worst tow vehicle: high COG (4WD pickup) with straight axles and long hitch overhang.

This is the worst POSSIBLE tow combination.

WDH is there to reduce component breakage and soften that big **** hammer coming down.
โ€œAnti-swayโ€ (integrated) dampens SOME of the trailer side-slip tendencies.

โ€œSway-Eliminatingโ€ uses leverage for both TW force management AND stopping the trailer from ever getting out of alignment in the first place. (Cheap, at 2X the price).

The Tow Vehicle , the Trailer; AND THE HITCH RIGGING are EQUALLY weighted in performance once spec is set.

The RIGGING ideal is TW divided 1/3-1/3-1/3 to Steer, Drive and Trailer Axles. Short version is that the Steer Axle weighs the same with or without the trailer hitched (done right). This keeps steering with the same feel AND DECREASES BRAKING DISTANCE.

If your combination vehicle DOES NOT stop faster than the solo truck with the same load, you got work to do. (Trailer MUST be dead level after hitching). Trailer drums ainโ€™t worth much, so YOU MUST be able to get as much from them as you can before they fade irreparably.

A WDH solves TW. Since 1965. (SAE, Bundorf) More importantly, it retains STOCK steering control or feel, AND it improves towing braking distances PAST some resistance to adverse winds putting you upside down in the ditch.

Vehicle โ€œpayloadโ€ doesnโ€™t exist as a category. Any vehicle. This is not a weight problem in any sense, it is a matter of FORCES acting against both vehicles.
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drew A. wrote:
I have only towed it once: 3 hours home from the dealer. The trailer was completely empty as was the truck. With this trailer having a rear kitchen, I was concerned it might sway due to low tongue weight.

On the trip home, I used a standard WD hitch with 1200 pound bars and no sway control. The tow was great with no sway at all.

You are right to be concerned about the rear kitchen, that's where most of the weight gets packed in the form of pots/pans, and food/beverages.

The best thing you can do is pack the truck and trailer like you're going camping and then hit the scales to see where you stand on tongue weight, or pick up a tongue weight scale like a Sherline.

What most folks don't realize is that the dealer did his job and dialed in the WD hitch based on an empty trailer, but 100% of the time that hitch will need to be re-adjusted to work best with the trailer after it's loaded. The only hitches that are truly indifferent to tongue weight are the Hensley Arrow and the Pro-Pride 3P, both of which use the 4-bar linkage design. All of the other WD hitches on the market rely on adequate (10% min) tongue weight to provide some level of sway control.

Getting the trailer set up right is an iterative process....load it, weigh it, adjust the hitch, see how it tows, repeat as needed until it tows great!

A lot of it comes down to the design of the trailer and axle placement, some are much harder to dial in than others.

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Thanks for the input. As far as the hitch goes, I believe that Grit Dog is right and the Ram is 18000/1800 weight carrying. So the truck really doesn't "need" a WD hitch.

I feel I'd like to use a WD hitch just for the peace of mind and possible stability improvement. The WD I currently have includes 1200 lb bars. I thought those might be too stiff for this trailer but I'll try them and see how it goes.

I like the Andersen hitch. If I decide that the 1200 lb bars are too stiff, I may get an Andersen rather than replace the bars on my current hitch.

Thanks!
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Found time to do a quick search, but the OP has the truck and receiver, which should have the receiver rating label on it.

Here is a Ford 2.5 inch receiver label rating, which is a max 1900 lb tongue with a WD Hitch and a max 850 lb tongue without a WD Hitch (dead weight, or carry weight)...am assuming a RAMโ€™s would be similar, as they would both have a 2.5 inch receiver

So, it depends what the OPโ€™s trailer tongue weight is. Since they typically range from 10% to 15%...at 10% = 700 lbs...below the max and if at 15% 1,050 lbs...over the 850 lb rating

Bottom line: the OP needs to decide if they believe in the ratings system or not.

If not, then do whatever

IF yes, research the ratings for โ€˜yourโ€™ truck and then follow them, but need to actually weigh it

Drew A. wrote:
Greetings,

Thoughts?

-Drew
-Ben Picture of my rig

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
The truck may not need but what is the rating on the receiver? Receivers have a rating also, usually with and without a wdh.