Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teamjd wrote:

Having sold my 2012 1500 Limited because I couldn't tow anything without the wife and kids running along side the truck, here's my 2 cents:

The 5000 lbs. tow number is based on a max 500 lb tongue weight.
Anything over that, they want you to use a weight distributing hitch.
It's in the manual. That's how you get to the 9850 lb. number.
And to get to that number, you better be at half a tank of gas and take a dump before you drive alone down the road.

As for the max you can legally tow (not talkin redneck if it moves, I can tow it Ye Haw!), there's only one way to know. Take it to the scales.

1.Load up your truck with everything you are going to take that's not going into the trailer, filler up with gas, and weight it at the scales with you in it. (no need to drag the family along)
2.Add the weight of your passengers to that number.
3.Subtract that from the 7000 GVWR of the Ram 1500

That number is the max tongue weight you have left before you max out your payload. It's 10% of the weight you can safely tow at max payload.
Don't be surprised when that scale comes back at 6700 lbs.
What the hell are you doing.
Why are you lying to the guy. Ram 1500 weighs no where near 7000 lbs. I have mine registered in NY as Passenger.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch - I believe he's saying that once you add all the additional gear for camping and the passengers, you'll have used up most of the 1180lb payload for that truck. Not that the truck alone weighs 6700lbs.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those saying "just do it" and don't worry about the numbers, please remember that most people asking "can I tow this" don't have the years of towing experience that you do. And before they start ignoring the numbers they should understand the numbers and have more experience towing within those numbers before letting loose.

Reminds me of my co-worker. Nice kid fresh outta college. Boss teaches him all the big equipment. The boss has been around for years and is well-versed on the equipment. New guy has never driven anything but his car and that for only about 5 years.

One day, I walk in from the warehouse and see a massive hole in the wall to the breakroom. I ask what happened. The new guy did it trying to move a pallet out of the hallway. Apparently, the pallet was in the corner which had a support pillar in the middle of the space. He was trying to maneuver the forklift around the pillar to grab the pallet and miscalculated.

I asked "why didn't you just use the hand jack to move the pallet?". He never thought of that. Because the boss, who had the experience and skill to operate the forklift in most any situation, never suggested that a smaller tool might be a better and safer tool in certain situations.

Just because YOU have the experience and knowledge to tow more than the truck is rated for, doesn't mean everyone should be doing so by default.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a 28 foot TT weighing between 4000 to 4500lbs GW with a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 V8 2X2 in flatlands of Texas using a WDH with no problems at all. Truck was also fully loaded with camper shell too.

However, in the mountains of the west coast and Rockies I towed same trailer with a Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4X4 with of course no problems.

The V10 was a towing beast and YES I could easily afford the gas. Cheers

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

For those saying "just do it" and don't worry about the numbers, please remember that most people asking "can I tow this" don't have the years of towing experience that you do. And before they start ignoring the numbers they should understand the numbers and have more experience towing within those numbers before letting loose.

Reminds me of my co-worker. Nice kid fresh outta college. Boss teaches him all the big equipment. The boss has been around for years and is well-versed on the equipment. New guy has never driven anything but his car and that for only about 5 years.

One day, I walk in from the warehouse and see a massive hole in the wall to the breakroom. I ask what happened. The new guy did it trying to move a pallet out of the hallway. Apparently, the pallet was in the corner which had a support pillar in the middle of the space. He was trying to maneuver the forklift around the pillar to grab the pallet and miscalculated.

I asked "why didn't you just use the hand jack to move the pallet?". He never thought of that. Because the boss, who had the experience and skill to operate the forklift in most any situation, never suggested that a smaller tool might be a better and safer tool in certain situations.

Just because YOU have the experience and knowledge to tow more than the truck is rated for, doesn't mean everyone should be doing so by default.

x2! Well said. Those that say "just do it" are almost always experienced towers and aren't taking in the fact that the vast majority of the "can i tow this" group, have never towed anything. Especially with all the new Covid RV owners this past year.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Part of that statement is correct.
The part you left out is most of those that are saying “don’t do it” don’t have enough mechanical aptitude to say that based on safety or capability but rather because they only know some number is being exceeded.
As evidenced by you never hear the don’t do it crowd put forth actual evidence why it shouldn’t be done, aside from the one liner “mfgs recommendations say so and I’m not smarter than the engineer”. Without any recognition of what might be related to mechanical capability and what might be related to vehicle classification and taxation.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

Those that say "just do it" are almost always experienced towers and aren't taking in the fact that the vast majority of the "can i tow this" group, have never towed anything. ...

I doubt previous towing experience will be of much help if any overloaded tire blows while driving at high speed on an Interstate.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Those that say "just do it" are almost always experienced towers and aren't taking in the fact that the vast majority of the "can i tow this" group, have never towed anything. ...

I doubt previous towing experience will be of much help if any overloaded tire blows while driving at high speed on an Interstate.

Someone with years of experience in towing will be more likely to understand how to react when that tire blows. A towing newbie in that situation is very scary.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

bikendan wrote:

Someone with years of experience in towing will be more likely to understand how to react when that tire blows. A towing newbie in that situation is very scary.

Yet here 3 of you are talking about tires blowing out, presumably with no knowledge that even the lowest rated tires you could likely drive off the new car lot with on a well equipped half ton pickup would easily handle 2500+ lbs of rear axle payload before reaching their rating.
And being a 2012, maybe the appropriate question is “Wwhat tires you running?” , not blathering about a component that is easily figured out as not being the weak part of the gvws equation. It’s not even the weak part of the rawr equation.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

JimK-NY wrote:

bikendan wrote:

A guy with little experience is more likely to be driving with due caution. I’m much more likely to see some guy with plenty of experience with the diesel dually pulling a 40 ft fifth wheel, in the right lane, hammer down, driving like his pants are on fire. I can tell which guy I’m more afraid of.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.