Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Martyn

Panama City Beach, FL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to this site: RAM Towing by VIN# Click on 'Look Up My Vehicle', enter your VIN, and you will find out the correct numbers.

2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4l BigHorn;
Pullright Superglde; Rotochoks; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

th3_fix3r

Tri-Cities, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm screwed, huh? So although I can technically pull almost 10Klbs... the tongue weight alone screws me?

Campinfan

Washtenaw County, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the rear axle weight limit and the limit on your tires. Also, manufacturers usually take into consideration that the driver weighs 150 lbs and a full tank of fuel. I am not one to recommend going overweight but an engineer friend at Ford says they set the limits based on what 80% of the people would feel comfortable. The first trailer you mention is what I would go with. Not sure how much gear you will load but I NEVER tow a tank of freshwater...at 8lbs a gallon it adds up fast.

There are some here that swear you need a dual wheel pick up to tow a pop up. When you talk weight limits, you are opening Pandora's box on this site. I think most will agree the truck will be more than fine for the smaller trailer.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, its confusing. And just because your truck can handle the weight, it may not like it going up hills, or excelerating or breaking. Go with the smaller TT. You'll be happier in the long run. If you like it, you can upgrade the camper and the TV later.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

th3_fix3r wrote:

Update. I just called the Dodge dealership. Told them what I had and he looked it up by my VIN. He says my towing capacity is 9850. It has a "392 rear end?" and he said the GCWR?? is 15,500. Tongue weight should be 10-15% towing capacity so as long as i stay around 1400 or preferably below on tongue weight I'm solid. I'm confused about what you said anyway @Valhalla360 because the manual says towing from 5000 to 9850. I don't know where you got 5000 being max. Maybe you thought (and it says) 5000lbs could be the limit but thankfully apparently mine has the highest possible limit of the different versions of my truck. Sound right? Idk. SO new to this. I know it pulls my pontoon boat quite well. HAHA

Sorry, your first post wasn't clear. There isn't typically a minimum tow rating, so I thought the 5000lb was the tow limit you found.

But regardless, you run into payload limits before you would ever get close to the 9850 tow rating.

If the payload is 1180lb, 1400 tongue weight would already be over by 320lb without you even in the truck.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

th3_fix3r wrote:

I'm screwed, huh? So although I can technically pull almost 10Klbs... the tongue weight alone screws me?

That's because Payload Capacity is more important than Towing Capacity. Nearly all tow vehicles will run out of payload WAY before getting close to max towing capacity.
And yes, 1180bs is not good, especially for a truck.
The door sticker capacity was based on when it left the factory, as equipped.
You're going to have to lower your expectations on traier size. Suggest that you look at a hybrid TT.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

th3_fix3r wrote:

Technically your not screwed. That Jayco jay flight 264BH has way more cargo capacity than you should need and as long as you limit what you load in the truck, should work just fine. Take for instance the cargo capacity of that jay flight 264BH is 1310 lbs. (6000 gvw). So lets say you load the trailer with 1000 lbs of stuff to go camping (food, clothes, camping chairs, dishes, towels, whatever), that will give you a tongue weight of approx 680 lbs. leaving you with about 500± lbs for occupants (and stuff) in the truck. ((4690 + 1000) x 12% = 682.8)

But remember, you got 1300 lbs of cargo capacity in the trailer and only used 1000 lbs. So lets say you also want to take 100 lbs of firewood with you. If you put that firewood in the truck you only have 400± lbs left for occupants. But if you put that firewood in the Trailer (theoretically centered) you only add 12% or 12 lbs to the tongue weight so you still have 485± lbs left for occupants in the truck; and still have 210± lbs. of cargo capacity available in the trailer.

And no, you can't put your wife and kids in the trailer. [emoticon]

* This post was last edited 04/14/21 12:05pm by wing_zealot *   View edit history

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick math to figure it out:

To find a trailer, look at the GVWR of the trailer not the dry weight. Dry weight is usually even less than what the trailer weighs of the lot.

TC (towing capacity) = 9850lbs.

You want a trailer with a GVWR of less than 9850lbs. That will cover the weight of the trailer, the weight of any factory options, battery, propane, and gear you put in or on the trailer.

AND

Payload = 1180lbs

Add up the weight of your family and pets (if they will be camping with you). Add to that 15% of the trailer's GVWR for "tongue weight". Then add the weight of any gear you will be carrying in or on the truck (in cab, in truckbed, on roof, on bike hitch front or back, etc). If all that is less than 1180lbs, you are within limits.

With that, how close you want to get to the limits is personal preference. Some have no problem right at the edge. Others, like me, prefer a 15% cushion area to provide for mountain driving and less stress on the tow vehicle.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes that payload is way low! With you guys and your stuff in the truck, and the weight of the hitch you’ll be very near the vehicles weight rating (GVWR). You’ll only have a few hundreds pounds (maybe a bit more) left for trailer tongue weight.

Any TT will need to have a hitch weight of 12%. So a 5000lb (lodes for a trip) trailer should have around 625-650lbs of tongue weight. That would limit you to a trailer with a 3500lb dry weight.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to take the "knowledge" dispensed here with a grain of salt. Some of these guys need a class eight to haul a utility trailer, and they can spend your money as fast as sailors on shore leave.

I have a '13 Ram1500 and I tow a5k tare trailer all over this nation. Over 23k towing with the same rig and never had a problem.
You see, some dude on the interweb made a statnent ,gotta be true.
A half ton is fine for 5 or 6 k.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.