Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, 150/1500 level trucks are not suitable for any but the smallest, lightest, popup truck campers. Now that you are going to get a new truck, also skip the 250/2500 level trucks and go straight to the 350/3500 trucks.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Yup, 150/1500 level trucks are not suitable for any but the smallest, lightest, popup truck campers. Now that you are going to get a new truck, also skip the 250/2500 level trucks and go straight to the 350/3500 trucks.

Worst part is that you’re not joking and you actually believe this.
Funniest part is now we’re on to the 1 ton truck recommendation!

I bet the auto mfgs owe at least a few unnecessary upgrade sales of new trucks to this strange way of thought.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I often wonder how I somehow live to see the next day, when I drop an 8-12klb trailer on the back of my half ton Silverado and go bomb up n over the cascades without a care in the world.....

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't worry as much about the model numbers. Focus on the payload. There are some 1500s with a greater payload than some 2500s or even 3500s.

Look at how different options and models change the payload of the truck.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It might also be worth looking at full-size vans. Many of them have quite decent tow ratings, along with sufficient payload capacity to pull a large trailer and carry some people and stuff inside simultaneously. If you don't need an open bed, they can be a good option.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

What the hell is your major malfunction, or are you just a 12 year old in your mothers basement?
Not a single thing you have posted has the least ground in fact.
The OP came to this site looking for practical advice on an important issue,(Major mistake right there), and while most have been liberal with there somewhat reasoned opinions, there has been one stand out. Please if you are a child spouting baseless opinions go away
if you have a micro ***** and are projecting your personal inadequacies go away

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because you disagree is no reason to call me names and hurl insults!!!!!

My opinion is that the truck should be adequate for the load. That often means moving to a super duty 2500 truck. If so, I recommend looking at a 3500 truck which will cost about the same and provide a better margin of safety and capability.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Don't worry as much about the model numbers. Focus on the payload. There are some 1500s with a greater payload than some 2500s or even 3500s.

Which is actually more flawed than going off model numbers. And proof that you’re speaking about something which you do not understand in the least.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Which is actually more flawed than going off model numbers. And proof that you’re speaking about something which you do not understand in the least.

Using a model number to determine whether a truck is capable of towing a certain trailer misses the fact that different trims have different capacities. Find the truck with the right capacities regardless of the model number. A 1500 standard cab can have a greater payload than a 2500 crew cab specialty trim truck.

In the OP's situation, the trailer's GVWR is just under 80% of the current truck's towing capacity. It is not too much trailer for that truck according to THAT number.

But the payload of the current truck is likely to be too low, once the truck is loaded, to handle the tongue weight of the trailer. That is the weak point in the OP's scenario. So finding a truck with a greater payload to handle the tongue weight is the key.

I am pointing this out according to the ratings. For those who disregard the ratings as overrated (pun intended), then that is a different argument - one that I have discussed above thread. But for those who don't disregard the ratings, my argument holds true.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit Dog,

my apologies. I got confused on the thread about the 1/2 ton towing the 36ft trailer and this one. Both my comments were regarding THAT thread not THIS thread.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> First Post - 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - What can I pull??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.