cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the road, battery and charging problems

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
A bit of a long story.  I am stumped, but can't (unwilling) to do too much on the road.
In Feb, I bought and installed 2 6V AGM GC2 Lifeline batteries.  At home, plugged into 30 amp circuit, my Zamp battery monitor showed 13+v, so I assumed the on board charger (Progressive Dynamics 9260c) was working and charging the batteries.  Now I am on a trip and the batteries wont take a charge, if there is one.  The Zamp monitor does NOT show a 13+v charge from the on board charger.  I hook up an external, stand alone charger (Schumacher ship n sail, or something like that)  It never shows more than 60% charged, and comes back and says "bad battery"  Not sure if the brand new batteries are "bad" or if the PD is not charging.  Assuming bad batteries, and needing to get home to have Batteries Plus fully test them, I bought 1 group 24 12v deep cycle RV battery and hooked it up.  We are on 110 30m amp hook up and the Zamp monitor has gone from 12.9v to 12.4v in 1/2 day.  So it seems the PD is NOT charging.  I will hookup the external battery charger in the morning to see if that works.
I can remove the power center and see the PD.  But getting my hands/arms in there will be very difficult.  And I fear loosening wires in the power center.
As I said, stumped, bummed and frustrated.
Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT
15 REPLIES 15

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Conclusion..... If you are interested/curious.
A good friend, more knowledgeable and skilled than I, tore into it.
We removed the stove/cooktop to access the PD 9260c. Sure enough, the positive lead from the PD to the battery had come loose! Reconnected and all is fine!
Recall I bought 1 12v deep cycle RV battery from Batteries+ in the emergency and I used it 1 night. They took it back and refunded my money! Kudos to Batteries+
Thanks again for all your help and advice!
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to follow what is going on, but I hope you know that your charger is not working right, or it is not being left on long enough to bring up the battery voltage to 14.4v. Also you need to be charging at a 20% rate while getting the batts to that 14.4v (forget that 15a nonsense!)

Once at 14.4v the AGMs have to stay at that voltage until amps taper to 0.5a/100AH. So you need an ammeter to know when that is.

Read the AGM charging guide here--5.2.2 -it also applies to yours.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
I am feeling better about my situation. Yesterday afternoon hooked up new charger to the 2 6v batteries when not installed in the trailer. The new charger has a 15a "rapid charge" It took the 2 6v up to about 12.7v. I figured that was pretty good capacity for the time being. And I had my son present to help lift them into place. I took out the 12v and put the 2 6v installed on the trailer. I hooked up the charger to the 12v off the trailer. The voltage went from 12.1 to 13+ Yay!!! I set the 12v aside, in the truck. I hooked up the new charger to the 2 6v while installed in the trailer. Voltage went from 12.7 to 13! Yay!!
When I get home I will resolve the on board converter/charger issue.
Thanks to all for your advice and comments. Very helpful!
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 8 lifeline gpl-4ct (6v gc-2) last November on a boat.

Each one measured 6.56v +/- 0.02 when I opened their boxes. 13.12v per pair.

Each pair settled to a resting 13.16v after charging a few hours at 14.4v.

220 ah of New healthy depleted lifeline agm batteries will take a long time for a peasly low.amperage partially insane schumacher shop to shore charger to raise their voltage.

What amperage is it capable of?
10 amps ? pfft.

The state of charge display on Schumacher chargers should be ignored and mocked ruthleesly.

A pair of well depleted lifleline gpl-4cts should see no less than 42 amps initial charge cUrrent.

Lifeline tech manual pdf explicitly says no less than 20 amps per 100 ah of capacity in deep cycle duty.

Id say you have a charger problem...not a battery problem....yet.

Get a dc clampmeter.

Need to know amperage into charging batteries, as voltage alone can be and obviously was, misleading.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my 70+ years on this earth I've bought a lot of Lead Acid Batteries...Some came with a new car attached. Others were replacemnt.. Two of them came with "lifetime" warranties.. one of those lasted about a week.

Moral Might just be bad batteries.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! Yes I have a multimeter. I checked voltage at the battery while installed inthe trailer and got 12.3v. I attached the external charger and got 12.3v. The monitor also said 12.3. That implies my charger went bad at basically the same time as the converter/charger. Crazy.
Right now I have the 2 6v batteries connected in series separate from the trailer with the external charger on it. I hope they will charge normally. Then I can swap with the 12v and repeat the process.
Also today I had the external charger on the 12v while installed in the trailer. When I returned to the trailer the charger read "bad bat" But it is brand new.
I am pretty busy the next 2 days but will try to report back. I also trying to schedule a mobile tech for Monday or Tuesday at my next stop.
Cheers
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ltrip said: Re: using the external charger. When I hook that up to the new 12v battery, I expect the battery monitor to show > 12.7v. It does not. The battery monitor was at 12.3 this am and did not change when I hooked up the external charger.
Sounds like your battery monitor is not working because it is disconnected somehow. Again check voltage with a multimeter at the pos and neg terminals of the battery when using your portable charger it should read 13 plus volts. Let us know what it reads. Do you have a multimeter?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bad battery. Yes, they can go bad that fast.
You may also have blown the protection fuse(s) in the converter.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would reconnect the Lifelines and use the 24 to jumpstart them so the portable charger will begin charging without error. Or use your vehicle to jump the Lifelines.

I assume the Lifeline's voltage has been run down so low the portable thinks they are bad.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like your converter was not working even before you left. Suspect blown reverse polarity fuses from a mistake when installing the new batteries. Easy to check and fix.

When you isolated the batteries to check them and the "monitor" did not change when you charged the batts, that could mean the monitor is also isolated. You need your own digital multimeter set to voltage to put on the batteries directly.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Drew_A_
Explorer
Explorer
Check the fuse at the battery positive wire outside near the battery. Also, pull the wire off the positive terminal of the battery and check the voltage from that wire to ground.

It's either the fuse or the converter is dead.
2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
Reply to several comments. Thanks!!!
I posted in 2 forums. One forum suggested to disconnect the battery via the disconnect switch, while still on shore power. I did, and no 12v lights worked. That implies/proves the PD is not putting out 12v.
I did recycle the breaker switches. No apparent change.
Re: using the external charger. When I hook that up to the new 12v battery, I expect the battery monitor to show > 12.7v. It does not. The battery monitor was at 12.3 this am and did not change when I hooked up the external charger.
But I do believe my small solar panel is helping.
As stated earlier, I am very hesitant to access the convertor because it is very difficult to access, and I fear screwing something up. I am trying to be realistic about my own skills.
Thanks again. I will post updates.
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Batteries Plus is nation wide. Google to see if there are any near your current location.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your batteries are brand new. It worked at home and I assume you changed no wires on your trip. If you are plugged in somewhere set your multimeter to 20v setting and check what your batteries read. Then check at your converter. If converter is charging but batteries don't see the charge reset all your circuit breakers. If you hook your portable directly to your batteries disconnect converter and check battery voltage with your multimeter you should see 13 plus volts. Let us know what your get.