Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: On the road, battery and charging problems
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> On the road, battery and charging problems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all! Yes I have a multimeter. I checked voltage at the battery while installed inthe trailer and got 12.3v. I attached the external charger and got 12.3v. The monitor also said 12.3. That implies my charger went bad at basically the same time as the converter/charger. Crazy.
Right now I have the 2 6v batteries connected in series separate from the trailer with the external charger on it. I hope they will charge normally. Then I can swap with the 12v and repeat the process.
Also today I had the external charger on the 12v while installed in the trailer. When I returned to the trailer the charger read "bad bat" But it is brand new.
I am pretty busy the next 2 days but will try to report back. I also trying to schedule a mobile tech for Monday or Tuesday at my next stop.
Cheers

Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 04:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my 70+ years on this earth I've bought a lot of Lead Acid Batteries...Some came with a new car attached. Others were replacemnt.. Two of them came with "lifetime" warranties.. one of those lasted about a week.

Moral Might just be bad batteries.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed 8 lifeline gpl-4ct (6v gc-2) last November on a boat.

Each one measured 6.56v +/- 0.02 when I opened their boxes. 13.12v per pair.

Each pair settled to a resting 13.16v after charging a few hours at 14.4v.

220 ah of New healthy depleted lifeline agm batteries will take a long time for a peasly low.amperage partially insane schumacher shop to shore charger to raise their voltage.

What amperage is it capable of?
10 amps ? pfft.

The state of charge display on Schumacher chargers should be ignored and mocked ruthleesly.

A pair of well depleted lifleline gpl-4cts should see no less than 42 amps initial charge cUrrent.

Lifeline tech manual pdf explicitly says no less than 20 amps per 100 ah of capacity in deep cycle duty.

Id say you have a charger problem...not a battery problem....yet.

Get a dc clampmeter.

Need to know amperage into charging batteries, as voltage alone can be and obviously was, misleading.

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am feeling better about my situation. Yesterday afternoon hooked up new charger to the 2 6v batteries when not installed in the trailer. The new charger has a 15a "rapid charge" It took the 2 6v up to about 12.7v. I figured that was pretty good capacity for the time being. And I had my son present to help lift them into place. I took out the 12v and put the 2 6v installed on the trailer. I hooked up the charger to the 12v off the trailer. The voltage went from 12.1 to 13+ Yay!!! I set the 12v aside, in the truck. I hooked up the new charger to the 2 6v while installed in the trailer. Voltage went from 12.7 to 13! Yay!!
When I get home I will resolve the on board converter/charger issue.
Thanks to all for your advice and comments. Very helpful!

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to follow what is going on, but I hope you know that your charger is not working right, or it is not being left on long enough to bring up the battery voltage to 14.4v. Also you need to be charging at a 20% rate while getting the batts to that 14.4v (forget that 15a nonsense!)

Once at 14.4v the AGMs have to stay at that voltage until amps taper to 0.5a/100AH. So you need an ammeter to know when that is.

Read the AGM charging guide here--5.2.2 -it also applies to yours.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Conclusion..... If you are interested/curious.
A good friend, more knowledgeable and skilled than I, tore into it.
We removed the stove/cooktop to access the PD 9260c. Sure enough, the positive lead from the PD to the battery had come loose! Reconnected and all is fine!
Recall I bought 1 12v deep cycle RV battery from Batteries+ in the emergency and I used it 1 night. They took it back and refunded my money! Kudos to Batteries+
Thanks again for all your help and advice!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> On the road, battery and charging problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.