cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have the new Ford 7.3L V8?

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
My new 2021 E-450 chassis motorhome will come equipped with it and the 6 speed transmission.

Just curious how it compares to the Triton V10. I just sold my 1995 class C with the old 460 workhorse. It was a great engine.
2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath
11 REPLIES 11

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
So far so goon on our Odyssey 24B. Took delivery with avg mpg at 8.6 mpg. After a couple of fill-ups bumped it up to 9.5-9.8 mpg @ 65+/- mph not pulling anything. Did get a Ford recall regarding excessive heat from engine cover, but I like being able to cook my eggs as I drive.
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice report Tim. Which model did you end up with? Did it come with leveling jacks? 10-12 mpg is nice compared to your A.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
SHRED wrote:
My new 2021 E-450 chassis motorhome will come equipped with it and the 6 speed transmission.

Just curious how it compares to the Triton V10. I just sold my 1995 class C with the old 460 workhorse. It was a great engine.

I got a new 2021 BT Cruiser with the 2021 Ford E-350 chassis and so far I love the new 7.3L V-8 and 6 speed transmission..

It runs in low RPM's and hardly ever goes below 5th gear at highway speeds, stays in 6th gear 90 percent of the time at 62 mph.

So far my average mpg is 10+ and can get 12-13 mpg at 60 mph with cruise control on..

mpg reading is on the dash display

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
Can't wait to try it out!
2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
youracman and Drew , thank you.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
In 2021 is there a choice regarding engines ?

Can it be ordered either way v10 or v8 ?

Ford is not producing E-series chassis with the V10 anymore, but only with the new V8. If you were ordering a chassis on your own, you have no choice (nor, if memory serves, would you have had a choice previously as only the modular engines were available). An RV manufacturer may be building on older chassis for some or all of their current model year production, depending on their inventory and production lead times and model year changeover dates and similar sorts of things.

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

Bob, from my reading on several forums, I "believe" some of the early 2021s still had the Triton V-10 (old stock) but when they are gone (and they are probably all "gone" right now) I get the idea that the Ford cutaway chassis will be "Godzilla" powered only ...... dunno about the F-53.

Others more knowledgeable will hopefully chime in.

Best.............
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
โ€œ Anyone have the new Ford 7.3L V8?โ€

In a M/H, no, but in several pickups in our fleet, yes.

Everyone is impressed with them so far.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
There are about a dozen posts here:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/new-7-3-ford-gas-519454.html

You will find a lot more if you just Google up "Ford 7.3 gas motorhome" or other terminology. Hope that helps.

There was a problem early on (with some installations) involving inadequate air flow in the area of the spark plug wires IIRC. It's been resolved by now (by most all the MH manufacturers) I am sure.

I have the venerable V-10 and it is amazing IMHO, but I would rather have the new one you are getting ...... more power, less noise and just a whisker better fuel economy (maybe.) Just my $.02

Safe travels to ya.
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Few and far between in SoCal
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad