cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Hitch stuck in ball mount.

1988Resort
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new (used) travel trailer and a brand new weight distribution hitch and towed it home. After getting it home and parking in driveway, I had a hell of a time getting the hitch off. The driveway is gravel and the truck was a bit on grass, everything was not completely level and the truck was not lined up completely straight with the trailer, so I think that's why we had a particularly hard time getting the hitch off on the one side. I was working on a time constraint (I had to leave for work) and doing this for the very first time ever, we made a hasty decision. Was having trouble lowering the ball from the ball mount. In hindsight, I think I know what we were doing wrong. The person helping me suggested to just dismantle the hitch bar from the receiver, so that's what I did and drove the truck out. This worked, but now the piece of hitch is left dangling from the ball mount. I would like to get it out from under the ball mount, then reinsert the hitch into the receiver before connecting the trailer again; however, don't know how to get ball free from ball mount. Otherwise, someone will have to hold the hitch up perfectly in line while I back the truck into it which seems impossible. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
46 REPLIES 46

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I believe that there are some still on dial-up, if that is what you are referring to.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. How many users on here are still on dialup? (It wouldn't matter if it was zero. Nothing on this board ever changes)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Under General Preferences scroll down to and put a check mark in
"Show images that are part of posts ( not recommended for dial-up users ) "
That statement is just slightly out of date.

I believe that there are some still on dial-up, if that is what you are referring to.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
opnspaces wrote:

As is the whole forum software package - in fact, more than slightly!:R
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
1988Resort wrote:
Apparently I need to change something in my settings to see photos, but based on the verbal description, I have the black one. Lift up and pull back (which is what I didn't realize when first attempting to dismantle).

On the top right of this page click on the "My Forums" link.

Then on the left side of the new page click on "My Preferences"

Type in your password when asked.

Make sure you scroll down to the bottom left of the page and click on "Submit Changes"
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congratulations on getting your hitch issue figured out! Welcome to the forums!:) As you have discovered, we have a whole lot of very helpful and friendly members here and you can get just about any question answered that is about RVing.

We have a forum dedicated to towing issues. Stuck at the top of that forum is a thread with the title Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure.
I think you will find it very informative and helpful.

Again, Welcome to the forums and I hope you continue to participate and post often.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 many 2 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Always apply grease to the ball despite what some might advise.

X2

Times 3.
Puma 30RKSS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad to see you figured it out.... I know some hitches can be a bear.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lwbfl
Explorer
Explorer
1988Resort wrote:
Oh my goodness; I just got it off! The problem was I just didn't know how to properly undo the latch. It was very sticky; the trailer is very old, as I mentioned. I had an "aha" moment last night when I watched one more youtube video of hitch dismantling and watched the way he pulled out the latch.

When dismantling the hitch the other day, I broke the first rule of RVing, "Never be in a rush", as I was starting to run out of time before I had to be at work and I needed to get the trailer detached from my truck so I could drive to work and not have to take my trailer with me! So I began to panic. I also had someone helping me who knew nothing about trailers and was the one who suggested pulling the pin out of the hitch and driving the truck out. So now I just have to put the ball mount back on my truck and practice hitching and unhitching about 50 more times! Maybe 100. And maybe put some WD40 on that latch.

Thanks, everyone!

That's awesome news! That's how we learn and this lesson was free! Glad it was resolved with a simple solution and keep us updated on your future usage!
1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My pants leg always seemed to be able to find the greased ball.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
1988Resort wrote:
2 many 2 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

X2

Thanks! Um, despite looking more foolish than I already do... what kind of grease do I need to buy and where can I buy it? An auto shop? Walmart? Tractor Supply Co.? Do I just ask for "grease"? Is there a specific type?

Yes, any kind will do. After you unhook, wipe off the ball with a couple paper towels and re-apply clean grease the next time you hook-up. You just need a teaspoon full at the most each time, smear it all over the ball.

Once in a while it is also a good idea to wipe out the coupler up inside to clean out dirt or other contamination.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy "grease" at all those places. No type, just comes in a little tub. I'm sure there are viscosity ratings, but dang, just get some grease.

1988Resort
Explorer
Explorer
2 many 2 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

X2

Thanks! Um, despite looking more foolish than I already do... what kind of grease do I need to buy and where can I buy it? An auto shop? Walmart? Tractor Supply Co.? Do I just ask for "grease"? Is there a specific type?

1988Resort
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Edit, I see you posted that you got it fixed while I was typing. But I am curious, do you have the black or silver style below. I'm leaving my post to possibly help someone else in the future.

First and foremost be careful. When you get that hitch loose it's going to drop to the ground. You definitely do not want it to land on your foot.

As asked above, leave the latch in the lock position and see if you can move the hitch around by hand. Leave it locked so it doesn't suddenly drop on your foot. If it doesn't move you have a problem. If it does move as we all expect it will, then you have a rust or binding problem.

In the pictures below does your trailer use either of the latch styles? If so which one one, the black or silver?

If the black unit then uncoupling takes two motions. You lift the back edge up exposing a small v shaped groove on the bottom of the lever. While holding the back edge up you slide the lever backwards until the v shaped groove hooks over the slot and holds the lever up when you let go. If the lever does not stay up you are not unlatched and it will never come off.

If the silver unit then the lever lifts up and stays up. If it won't uncouple after the lever is up then you possibly have a rust issue.

Apparently I need to change something in my settings to see photos, but based on the verbal description, I have the black one. Lift up and pull back (which is what I didn't realize when first attempting to dismantle).