cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV parks around Chattanooga and Vicksburg

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully DH and I will make our long put-off trip to explore the "Western Theater" of the Civil War this Fall, maybe next Spring. Starting near Fredricksburg, Va. Want to go to Shiloh, Vicksburg, and then follow Sherman as he went East. Also want to explore Chattanooga and Lookout Mountain. Anyone done this? If so, any suggestions as to roads to take, where to stay? State parks OK. No boondocking wanted. Plan on making it a month long experience. Any other 'don't miss', 'don't bother' or 'must sees'? Hoping to pick your brains! We also have access to military campgrounds, and are Passport America members. Whatever info you share will be greatly appreciated. Traveling in a 33' Class A, with toad. We're both almost 70 and not really into a lot of physical activity, but love to wander!
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
8 REPLIES 8

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the information. Appreciated.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
When you tour around Vickburg I highly recommend staying at Grand Gulf Military State Park. It's about a half hour away from Vickburg and has it's own Civil War history along with some redoubt sites, a small museum, and an interesting cemetery. A few dozen camping sites, the lower 10-20 would be easy access. We happened across this a couple years ago. The staff was wonderful and it's a hidden gem I've kept on our list...almost hate to make it 'not so hidden' by publishing it here ๐Ÿ™‚
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on Holiday Travel Park on the Chattanooga/GA line. You exit in TN, drive about 1 mile south over the border, you hit the park.

We stayed at Raccoon Mtn campground many years ago just West of Chattanooga....it worked....but many permanent trailers there and the whole place looked 'bad'. When we found Holiday, we have not looked back...stayed at Holiday maybe 6 or 7 times....on our way to FL.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Not much to choose from when camping around Vburg. We stayed at Rivertown Rose Campground, not a bad place
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
why is this in the Tech Issues section?:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I you are an Elk the Elks lodge in Vicksburg, MS has 50Amp and water. I would recommend a call to see if they accept non Elk members, as in our travels some do.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Great park over the line in Georgia

Holiday Travel Park Of Chattanooga-Rossville, Georgia we stayed there for a week
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
The areas your looking at include a lot of Corps lakes. Check them thorourghly, with a Golden age or other pass, the savings and locations should both be "golden".