Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you use for an outdoor ground cover?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you use for an outdoor ground cover?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just can't beat a forum where a user comes on and asks a simple question, "What mat do you use?", and most of the replies are admonishments for using a mat.

Stop being the "my way is the only way police" and if you don't have an answer just move along. The OP didn't ask if they should use a mat.

Our recent mat purchase came from E-Trailer. Most companies are making them much thinner than the one we bought 10 years ago. I doubt the new one will last 3 years.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

One year when e had done extensive site rebuilds with blue grass sod, a camper unrolled their huge astroturf over the beautiful grass? When I aked why, she replied she didnt want her camper to get dirty with mower clippings. She left us a nasty review. I didnt mind, we didnt want people like her in our camp.
Nature is a foreign concept to many.
If you wish for a ground cover, get an open weave mat that lets water andlight through that does not hinder grass much and still gives you what you want. Do what you can to enjoy and preserve

Unsolicited opinion, every campground that I have been in with grass has such stringent requirements about the grass that I never choose a site with grass. I've seen folks get thrown out for parking one wheel on the grass. Make sites as wide as possible and 100% useable.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel bad for the OP, lectures instead of helpful advice. We used a vinyl loose weave mat whenever we had concrete or gravel patios, it deteriorated after a few years and was always a pain to fold and store. I plan to get a couple of small indoor/outdoor rugs and put them in front of our chairs. The original reason for the large mat was so our dog, no longer with us, could lay down with us. As you probably realize, you don’t want to put down a large mat on grass.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we owned our pop-up we didn't use anything. We owned if for 1 year and only used it a handful of times. With the Hybrid, we used a 3'x3' piece of 3/4" plywood with AstroTurf glued to it. Our kids were little (4 & 2) when we first bought it and wanted to make they had a stable landing when leaving the camper and a stable platform when stepping into camper.

When we bought the motorhome, we decided to get an indoor/outdoor type rug from Lowe's. It folded up pretty small and went under the bed in a trash bag. We had an 11' awning and the rug was 8' wide. When we moved to the Destination Trailer, our current RV, we bought this. The awning is 20' and this mat fit under it nicely. The weave lets water and dirt passthrough easily. Light doesn't get through very well, but our seasonal site didn't have grass where we put the mat, so no worries with killing the grass. The mat has held up very well after 3 years of use, but we have to make sure that all sticks and stones are removed from under it before laying it out in the spring. One of our Zero Gravity chairs did put a small rip in it, but it's not really noticeable and it hasn't gotten any worse since it happened. This thing cleans off very easily and dries very quickly. It folds up and is stored in a bag that it came with. It is light as a feather.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I feel bad for the OP, lectures instead of helpful advice."

The OP asked for opinions and preferences, and he got them. Some people don't agree with your opinion or mine, and spoke up. No harm, no foul. When you ask a relatively diverse group of people for their thoughts, you may not get only ones that you find agreeable.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

QCMan wrote:

Maybe you need to get a camper with a built in deck so you don't get too close to the ground at campsites. Must be hell going from the tv to the camper.

What joy do you get posting a completely unhelpful and critical reply in response to a legitimate question? What's missing in your life that you feel the need to play keyboard cowboy?

To the OP, we use a cheap outdoor mat from Lowes. After a season or two they get pretty beat up and we replace so we don't spend a lot of money. They are in the outdoor patio section. As others have said we don't put them on grass, but a lot of state parks we visit have very fine gravel and stone dust and this easily gets tracked into the RV. A mat sure does help. Helps a great deal in sand as well.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"I feel bad for the OP, lectures instead of helpful advice."

The OP asked for opinions and preferences, and he got them. Some people don't agree with your opinion or mine, and spoke up. No harm, no foul. When you ask a relatively diverse group of people for their thoughts, you may not get only ones that you find agreeable.

I disagree. This isn't what the OP asked for.

This is why so many new members don't stick around.

Everyone, please keep the rest of your responses on topic. I deleted a few of the snarkiest/unhelpful responses.

* This post was edited 04/16/21 08:09am by dedmiston *

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can go to Amazon and search for "RV Patio Mats" to find tons of different options.

We mostly boondock, so we use our mat all the time to keep our heathen dogs (and kids & friends, etc.) from tracking in so much grit.

Securing them against the wind is a big problem and the ground is too rough to pound in stakes in most of our camps. About ten years ago I bought a bunch of "saddlebag" style photography sand bags as weights to hold down our mat. I've got five or six for the mat and one each for the bottoms of our collapsable trash/recycle cans.

Last year for Christmas, one of my camp buddies gave me "a pair of nickels". These things are polished metal plates about the size of dinner plates and they probably weigh more than I do. I started using these to hold down the front corners of the mat because they aren't as bulky as the sand bags but they're so much heavier.

When we stay in RV parks, we keep that mat stowed, because most parks down allow them.

Keep in mind as you shop for a mat that "bigger" means "bulkier". A large folded up mat will take up a lot of space in your cargo hold.

* This post was edited 04/16/21 08:10am by dedmiston *

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a regular old indoor house carpet. Heavy, expensive, but does the job. I got tired of replacing those 'Rv mats' that just disintegrate every year.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

astroturf from a salvage type store, Ollies.
Placed over gravel, sand, bare dirt, & blacktop pads.
The open weave plastic mats are easier to spray off.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What do you use for an outdoor ground cover?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.