cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rving in New Zealand

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a 3 month RV Adventure in New Zealand. Just curious if anyone has done this. If so, any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Safe Travels Kids
2015 31ft Keystone Montana Fifth Wheel w/3 slides
2015 Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Short Bed Diesel Crew Cab
1 Cat
Fulltiming since Oct 06 - Sold the Stick House
13 REPLIES 13

cxr133
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the youtubers Keepyourdaydream

documented a RV trip to new zealand a few seasons ago b, i thought i saw that title but did not watch those videos because i was not interersted

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
2g's wrote:
TCI wrote:
Our thought is to go to Maui and kaui for a month each, then NZ for 3 months, North and South islands, then tasmania for a month. Maybe Austin for a month, then end in Cook Islands for a month. Instead of down by Key West for the winter. Well do a pacific adventure. Have enough frequent flyer miles for most flights to be free. Can't wait.

Wow! Hope you closely figured the cost of this 8-9 month trip!! Sounds like a very expensive one.

The thing that's going to help. We've been saving our frequent flyer miles for 15 years while rving the US. So most flight will be taxes
1 Cat

2g_s
Explorer
Explorer
TCI wrote:
Our thought is to go to Maui and kaui for a month each, then NZ for 3 months, North and South islands, then tasmania for a month. Maybe Austin for a month, then end in Cook Islands for a month. Instead of down by Key West for the winter. Well do a pacific adventure. Have enough frequent flyer miles for most flights to be free. Can't wait.

Wow! Hope you closely figured the cost of this 8-9 month trip!! Sounds like a very expensive one.

joezippy
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Does NZ allow left hand drive vehicles in their country?

Left hand and left side of the road... We did this for 2 weeks, picked the rig 26' class B up in Auckland and drove to the south island to sky dive at the Franz Josef Glacier from 20k ft.

20,000ft Kea Jump
Experience the thrill of NZโ€™s Highest Skydive from 20,000ft (85+ seconds freefall) above the Westland & Aoraki/Mt Cook National Parks.

https://www.skydivefranz.co.nz/

Our first jump and the entire family went including the 12yr old! Life changing and wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Those roads can get super windy, twisty and rainy... The trucks pull 40' triples, on 2 lanes at speed and there was one, one way bridge that handled trains as well.... hahahah Would do it again in a min, you are going to have a blast! Thanks for taking me back.

Check out these pics.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cJ26YjFJJovm4Cp27

Cheers

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a blast. I know a few years ago, China was trying to start up RV travel for visitors. Camping next to the Great Wall would be pretty awesome.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does NZ allow left hand drive vehicles in their country?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
It has been several years since we did this trip. We rented a 19ft right hand drive class B. I had lived in Japan so I was used to driving in the left lane. My only problem was turning on the windshield wipers when I meant to use the turn signals. All kidding aside, it is a wonderful place to RV..aka caravan. We started on the south island and worked our way north. Taking your time is important. The people are friendly and helpful and the fishing is out of this world.

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
@TCI - I will follow your adventures.

Maybe will even do what you did.

We planned an Australia and New Zealand trips last year but had to cancel due to Covid -- and maybe we'll do this at our last leg once we revive the plans.

How long are you planning to do it? A round-about to the entire country?

=========
Sam, same with us with the covid thing. They are still closed to the outside, but we are hoping by December they will open up. Our thought is to go to Maui and kaui for a month each, then NZ for 3 months, North and South islands, then tasmania for a month. Maybe Austin for a month, then end in Cook Islands for a month. Instead of down by Key West for the winter. Well do a pacific adventure. Have enough frequent flyer miles for most flights to be free. Can't wait.
1 Cat

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
NZ banning, the last I read is country specific. India, as I recall and even include their returning residents.

That's why it's important to have a local and global vaccination passport.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Have fun and doable even at present with low Covid cases.

Did NZ change their rules in the last few days?

Last I knew, NZ was closed except to residents and essential travel...which likely wouldn't include a vacation.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
@TCI - I will follow your adventures.

Maybe will even do what you did.

We planned an Australia and New Zealand trips last year but had to cancel due to Covid -- and maybe we'll do this at our last leg once we revive the plans.

How long are you planning to do it? A round-about to the entire country?

TCI
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By: Yosemite Sam1 on 04/16/21 09:29am

Shipping your RV (lol) or renting out there.

My daughter and her family said the place is lovely -- with more sheeps than people.

Tell us the story here of this adventure.
==========================================
We are going to rent a small mini drive RV. We've been doing lots of research and it looks absolutely beautiful. Just hoping it opens up before December. NZ looks very RV friendly.
I will for sure update on our trip. I am redesigning our website. Awaywego.com. So be sure to follow us there.
1 Cat

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Shipping your RV (lol) or renting out there.

My daughter and her family said the place is lovely -- with more sheeps than people.

Tell us the story here of this adventure.