Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Obesity in America
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, lost my train of thought!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all fats are bad, such as those that are vegetable sourced. There’s quite a bit of info concerning coconut oil, for instance, much of it positive, especially if it is processed properly.. I use coconut oil to grease a frying pan because of its high smoke point. It’s not a large enough amount to make any health difference, though.

Fatty fish, such as salmon, are reported to be very good because of their beneficial fat.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Squaredisk

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those percentages seem insane. Maybe the barometer for obesity is off or something but I don't see 60 to 70 percent of people being obese. It's definitely an issue (and I think more of one in the midwest where the winter can work against getting outdoors and being active) but I have serious doubts of it being that bad.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Squaredisk wrote:

Those percentages seem insane. Maybe the barometer for obesity is off or something but I don't see 60 to 70 percent of people being obese. It's definitely an issue (and I think more of one in the midwest where the winter can work against getting outdoors and being active) but I have serious doubts of it being that bad.
I don't have a problem believing it. Just walk around a shopping center, mall, or anywhere people gather. I don't necessarily agree with obese, although the numbers are high, but overweight is definitely there. It could be the midwest though, that is partly to blame. But there are a lot of fat people around here. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our obesity is a sign of our success. No longer do we work 14 hour days pulling stumps plowing behind an oxen, digging canals by hand, forging iron with the strength of our arms. No longer do we subsist on just carbs and protein.
Human evolution is thousands of years behind our work and dietary station.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

That make no sense ... when you calculate BMI for a male, 180 lbs and 5'11 shows as top scale of normal weight. At 5'11 and 185, overweight!!!

Any athlete - walker, or hiker, or swimmer, physically fit male will weight 200-210 easily and at 5'11 will show well into the overweight and only one point from obese. Franco Harris 6'2 230 lbs and Walter Payton 5'10 and 200 - both show only ONE scale point from obese, for example. I'd love someone to point out the obese molecules in those two examples. [emoticon] Then tell them face 2 face they are obese [emoticon] [emoticon] I'll dial the EMT for you [emoticon]

Statistics and data are numbers, not real information. Muscle mass weights more than fat mass. So, muscular men and women will weigh more than equal mass in fat men and women. BMI is not a very useful number in determining overweight or obesity.

I agree that the BMI index is not going to be accurate for all but a lean 5’11 male can be quite muscular at 180 lbs and I would think most 5’11 males at 200 lbs could stand to loose 20lbs..

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for the sake of this discussion, how many 5'11 lean and muscular males do you know that weigh 180 or less. 180 is the TOP number of fitness in BMI ... Then when one gets to 5'11 and 187, it classifies that male as overweight [emoticon] ...

Too many factors for that BMI index to be of any use to determine health status.
Example: My son at 5'8 and 195 ran 10 miles every morning at age seventeen, and then trained evenings at the gym. He was MW boxer, and believe me, you did not want to get in the ring with him - first four fights, round one knockouts. Not a sane person in this world would have ever called him overweight. [emoticon] So many different health variables in any situation for any one person, genetics, diet, exercise.

BMI data is ludicrous. And worthless except for insurance companies to call physically healthy persons overweight in order to charge more - as someone else mentioned above and I agree. Nutrition experts and dietary services probably use it too, to sell 'overweight' folks a supplement or a diet plan. [emoticon] Just sayin'

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BMI, or the RFM, are just tools, they have their limits and exceptions. Like monkey44's son. But end of the day we as a nation are fat and out of shape.
Obesity is the biggest driver of health care costs, bar none.

Anecdotal evidence, been a Chiro for 40 plus years. 40 years ago I could x-ray 9 out of 10 new patient's low back and get good pictures. Now its maybe 4in 10 I can get pictures on. And for a clinic my machine is pretty high powered. Now have to send them to the hospital, and even their machines struggle.

Being somewhat over weight and active is one thing. Being so heavy you can't walk one mile is another. Leads to poor health and a poor quality of life

And from what I can see, from my little corner of the world you are better off being somewhat over weight and active, than being perfect weight and inactive. Seems in my practice, the over weight active group is in general, healthier than the prefect weight inactive folks. But trying to get folks active, is often times very hard to do, from my experience

* This post was last edited 04/20/21 03:10pm by winnietrey *   View edit history

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Just for the sake of this discussion, how many 5'11 lean and muscular males do you know that weigh 180 or less. 180 is the TOP number of fitness in BMI ... Then when one gets to 5'11 and 187, it classifies that male as overweight [emoticon] ...

Too many factors for that BMI index to be of any use to determine health status.
Example: My son at 5'8 and 195 ran 10 miles every morning at age seventeen, and then trained evenings at the gym. He was MW boxer, and believe me, you did not want to get in the ring with him - first four fights, round one knockouts. Not a sane person in this world would have ever called him overweight. [emoticon] So many different health variables in any situation for any one person, genetics, diet, exercise.

BMI data is ludicrous. And worthless except for insurance companies to call physically healthy persons overweight in order to charge more - as someone else mentioned above and I agree. Nutrition experts and dietary services probably use it too, to sell 'overweight' folks a supplement or a diet plan. [emoticon] Just sayin'

That makes me feel better. I guess I can make that sundae a banana split I’m 5’11 and 200 lbs.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Our obesity is a sign of our success. No longer do we work 14 hour days pulling stumps plowing behind an oxen, digging canals by hand, forging iron with the strength of our arms. No longer do we subsist on just carbs and protein.
Human evolution is thousands of years behind our work and dietary station.

So very true. Technology has not worked in our favor in that regard.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.