Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Obesity in America
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too many jobs are now sedentary due to the ability of our brains to create mechanical methods for physical labor. We actually need four fingers, a thumb and palm to shake hands with a friend, but only one finger to push a button.

We even have machines to run or walk so we get exercise ... better than no exercise, but not nearly as nice as a walk in the park.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We even have machines to run or walk so we get exercise ... better than no exercise, but not nearly as nice as a walk in the park.

Agree but without the treadmill in my basement I wouldn't exercise nearly as much due to weather, etc. There's also a big difference between a walk in the park and using the treadmill-the park walk is more of a stroll to enjoy life. The treadmill is a much faster walk while Aerosmith or Gaelic Storm is blasting in my ears. Can be just as enjoyable but harder work.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Hampshire walks, especially in winter, different than Florida walks [emoticon] And, you're right - treadmill for those that use or need it due to circumstances or maybe just enjoy it more. To me, treadmill seems more of a chore, and I walk fast or slow depending on where or the scenery. Uphill walks are as taxing as any treadmill as well, I'd think so anyway. Music in your ears works as well as blasting in a basement - technology is often worth it ... Hope you're well LC... [emoticon] BD = M44

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1Flyboy wrote:

In 2020, 83 percent of men and 72 percent of women will be overweight or obese. Currently, 72 percent of men and 63 percent of women are overweight or obese (people who are overweight have a BMI of 25 to 29, people who are obese have a BMI of 30 or greater).... Interesting...And I don’t think it’s getting any better...

Don't even really need specific statistics. Just go anywhere in public and you will plainly see how many people are overweight AND obese.

I can remember back in school kids who were fat. They were the odd one or two. Now a kid that fat is like every other kid that fat and a thin kid is the odd one or two.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daily exercise can help negate some of the adverse effects of bad eating habits but both should be practiced.

* This post was edited 04/21/21 02:04pm by an administrator/moderator *

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 2X years of age, my job was acting as a pipefitter for anywhere between 8 -12 hours /day on industrial construction projects. For recreation (and to help pay rent) I took care of the proverbial 4 horses, 3 cows, and a bunch of dogs. Involved quite a bit of hay handling, mucking out, etc. For pure recreation, I went hunting and fishing....all involving a backpack and hiking.

Decided to improve myself. Two college degrees and a few decades later, my job involves being a keyboard wielder for 7-10 hours per day; my recreation is driving a boat or airplane; and hunting and fishing involves taking said boat or plane somewhere and ideally catching or shooting at something while still having said toys in sight.

...and along the way, I acquired an interest and some skill in smoking meat, scotch tasting, and cooking for the family.

Although I'm technically obese (or close) according to the BMI scale, I view myself as pudgy rather than obese...but whatever the analysis, I know that I have no one to blame but myself.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although I'm technically obese (or close) according to the BMI scale, I view myself as pudgy rather than obese...but whatever the analysis, I know that I have no one to blame but myself.

LOL! I prefer to use the term "fluffy"! I can at least blame a little bit on menopause. BMI is a complete joke, though. Doesn't take enough other factors to be even remotely accurate or useful. We all need to just say NO to the excessive portions that are served. It's OK to throw food out.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

LOL! I prefer to use the term "fluffy"! I can at least blame a little bit on menopause. BMI is a complete joke, though. Doesn't take enough other factors to be even remotely accurate or useful. We all need to just say NO to the excessive portions that are served. It's OK to throw food out.
This sounds like a lesson in objectivity vs subjectivity. Said another way, you all are fat I am pleasingly plump.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I eat for the pleasure, NOT for the nutrition. Yet, I only weigh 166 lbs. Smaller potions of food, and staying active, is the answer. Actually, I'm not an expert.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

erik12 wrote:

BMI isn't a joke. In most cases, it shows a true situation; it isn't working only if we talk about some bodybuilders or athletes or some rare rare cases. And doctors know that.

Actually more doctors are now thinking it is. It IS a complete joke as in it's not representative of the entire picture. My son is 5'7" and about 175 which puts him in the overweight category. He's extraordinarily well-muscled in his thighs and chest and has little-to-no fat elsewhere. He is not overweight. Both Canada and the UK are encouraging their doctors to stop using that measurement for multiple reasons. Weight is not a "one-size-fits-all" condition.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.