cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F 250 vs Ram 2500

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
The wifey and I are discussing a new truck in the next 2 years. Right now we have a 2013 Ford F 150 SCAB long box. When we have children, she wants a crew. I cannot give up the 8 foot box. AFAIK no one makes a half ton with both. So, we will be moving to a 3/4 ton.

With going up to a 3/4 ton, I am thinking of going diesel. With the ones in the new trucks, which is the best? The rest of the truck, are they good?
120 REPLIES 120

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

Well, now you got me doing a bit of searching on my own. The most recent info I can find anywhere (late February from Pickuptrucks.com) says they are sure that RAM is going with the same 10 speed Allison that is used in the GM twins.
Pickuptrucks.com

Just two months earlier, they were sure it was going to be Allison, but a brand new transmission that is a 9 speed.
9 speed

Further searching brings back the rumors of the ZF. So who knows. But it does sound like some sort of update is in the works.

I honestly think that Cummins12V98 will blow a blood vessel if they put that "fake" Allison with the Cummins..... :B

HA, I simply will just keep my "Truly MD" transmission for a while longer. :B

Nah. It will just become the next best thing. 😉
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

Well, now you got me doing a bit of searching on my own. The most recent info I can find anywhere (late February from Pickuptrucks.com) says they are sure that RAM is going with the same 10 speed Allison that is used in the GM twins.
Pickuptrucks.com

Just two months earlier, they were sure it was going to be Allison, but a brand new transmission that is a 9 speed.
9 speed

Further searching brings back the rumors of the ZF. So who knows. But it does sound like some sort of update is in the works.

I honestly think that Cummins12V98 will blow a blood vessel if they put that "fake" Allison with the Cummins..... :B

HA, I simply will just keep my "Truly MD" transmission for a while longer. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Pickuptrucks.com

9 speed

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Understandable.

Well, I could be wrong, of course, but have been tracking this since aboot 2018.
With all the weird stuff going on in manufacturing between the Plandemic effects and chip shortages and everything else, who knows. It should have been out already but Ram held off on inking an agreement with ZF until not too long ago. Presumably because Allison was courting them too.

Hope I’m right because this 68rfe I got right now was obsolete the day they introduced it!
Cheers!

Be prepared for an oil shortage soon as well. It just hit us and multiple oil suppliers like Mobil, Shell, and Chevron have reduced our orders because they cannot meet demand. It hasn't really affected our customers yet since we still have some stock. I am being told that it is due to the week-long freeze we had in Texas that shut down the refineries that made the additives that go into the oil.

We also have over $12 million in parts backorders with Cummins because their second and third-tier suppliers are having a hard time keeping up due to the plandemic. Many of our other suppliers have a backorder list a mile long as well.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Understandable.

Well, I could be wrong, of course, but have been tracking this since aboot 2018.
With all the weird stuff going on in manufacturing between the Plandemic effects and chip shortages and everything else, who knows. It should have been out already but Ram held off on inking an agreement with ZF until not too long ago. Presumably because Allison was courting them too.

Hope I’m right because this 68rfe I got right now was obsolete the day they introduced it!
Cheers!

Pickuptrucks.com

9 speed

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Understandable.

Cheers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
Me Again wrote:
kellem wrote:
OP, if your looking new then Ford currently owns the market with the 6.7 PS or the 7.3 gas.
I actually wanted a Ram but simply couldn't overlook this.

It is called different strokes for different folks. I had three RAM/Cummins trucks(1993, 2001.5 and 2015) and loved each one. Never was stranded on the side of the road, 1994 to 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXutuWDIGU4

If only they made that truck combination. How bad are the Dodge transmissions?

While the diesel “gurus” are arguing the finer points of fuel mileage and who’s trans is real and who’s is fake....

Dodge ( to trigger the “it’s a RAM” folks) HD truck aren’t “bad” per se. But the 68, while as reliable as any (IMO) is just a clunky antiquated unit that shifts like a wet bag of dog c rap. The Aisin is a stout get er done great towing trans ( although the 68 acts better towing than bobtail) that doesn’t have any meaningful aftermarket ability to be built up for the (small %) of mod truck guys. IMO it’s on par with Ford and GMs old 6 speeds, easily.
BUT since you’re a ways out from buying a new truck, the “Dodge” will have a 8speed ZF trans very soon. It’s not highly publicized, actually Ram and ZF are keeping it on the down low, but the deal is done. Then Ram will have a trans that is competitive with the current competition.

Let me guess. A receptionist when you were touring the ZF plant gave you that nugget of info as long as you promised not to tell? Did they also tell you about a new emissions system that was going to increase fuel efficiency and power?.....

Wow, you’re not usually this douchy....
But no, idfk where a ZF plant even is. So you’re right, I’m full of ____. And my (insert cousins uncles girlfriends brother) who is a 20 year employee of ZF in their transit and heavy highway division who drove one as early as 2018 and as recent as last year Is probably full of it too.
So long live the 68re I suppose?

LOL. You complaining about someone writing a "douchy" response may be the best thing I've read on this forum in quite some time. Makes me wonder if you even read anything that you write?

Listen, I would love for you to be correct about a ZF upgrade. I think the ZF8HP is one of the best transmissions I've driven. But color me skeptical about anyone who claims to have some insider knowledge about it being just around the corner.

With the history of many on here that have claimed to know specifics about future upgrades that never come to fruition it seems prudent to hold back on enthusiasm for such claims.

blt2ski
Huntingdog

I went with the nv4500 behind my 96 6.5td. did and had way better performance etc than those with the 4l80e. Wish the 6sp would have been out. That drop from direct to 3rd at 1.6- 1 vs the 6sp at 1.3, was not holding at 50, redline at 50 with the 5 sp. Or 35-38 mph at 2500 rpm. I would have been about 40-45 with the nv5600 at 2500. A much nicer drive.
Also why I have a spicer 7sp in my navistar.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My trans was smoked at 100k on my 98 12V. I helped it along as at 100k I added the Banks PowerPack and blew right thru the torque converter. I towed it to DTT and had it built.

My 01 Sport has about 140k and working great. Last 20k had 275 RV injectors.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Huntingdon

How about 30-50k mike rebuilds in some of our cases!

The Allison first auto tranny I got over 50k miles out of.i did get 150k in my C2500. But it was not pulling as often as most, and it had a sb V8 in front vs a BB.

Marty
I remember back in 1996, looking at a new Dodge. The salesman pointed out that the tranny would be good to 70K LOL.... He was actually using that as a selling point! Like many back then, I opted to get the manual tranny
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

blt2ski
Huntingdon

How about 30-50k mike rebuilds in some of our cases!

The Allison first auto tranny I got over 50k miles out of.i did get 150k in my C2500. But it was not pulling as often as most, and it had a sb V8 in front vs a BB.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I remember how it was before GM brought the Allison to their 2500/3500 trucks.
It was common to need a tranny rebuild before 100K... Many reports of around 70K. GM upped the standard, and enjoyed the tranny crown for a few years. That forced the others to step up. Of course being first has advantages. The Allison became the standard against which all of the others were judged.... That really grates on some of the OB fanboys.... What they are not giving credit is to the fact that if not for GM.... They would likely still be stuck with those old unreliable trannys. Enjoy your new trannys, and give the bashing a rest

I agree 100%.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I remember how it was before GM brought the Allison to their 2500/3500 trucks.
It was common to need a tranny rebuild before 100K... Many reports of around 70K. GM upped the standard, and enjoyed the tranny crown for a few years. That forced the others to step up. Of course being first has advantages. The Allison became the standard against which all of the others were judged.... That really grates on some of the OB fanboys.... What they are not giving credit is to the fact that if not for GM.... They would likely still be stuck with those old unreliable trannys. Enjoy your new trannys, and give the bashing a rest
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Honestly there isn't a Turd in the bunch.