Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: F 250 vs Ram 2500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F 250 vs Ram 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wifey and I are discussing a new truck in the next 2 years. Right now we have a 2013 Ford F 150 SCAB long box. When we have children, she wants a crew. I cannot give up the 8 foot box. AFAIK no one makes a half ton with both. So, we will be moving to a 3/4 ton.

With going up to a 3/4 ton, I am thinking of going diesel. With the ones in the new trucks, which is the best? The rest of the truck, are they good?

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't you wait 2 years before asking .... nowadays things can change a LOT in a 2 year period. Just a thought.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you going to be looking a new or used 3/4 ton trucks and will you be towing or carrying a RV...and what type rv and how heavy is your RV.
If used I would look at a F250 if your looking at hauling a heavy truck camper or 3200-3300 lb hitch loads. If you get a F250 with the camper pack or heavy service pack then the truck comes with the same suspension as a F350 srw. The F250 has std leaf spring suspension.

The 2500 Ram has coils springs on the rear. Not the best for max loads.

Wait 2 years if your asking about a new truck. Like Rick says a whole new game change with our trucks can happen in 2 years.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on what you are pulling and how often you are pulling.

If it's a small 6000lb trailer and a couple thousand miles flatland towing per year, I wouldn't pay for diesel, it's not needed and you will never recoup the up front cost in fuel savings. Heck diesel is now typically more than gas per gallon, so you may get better MPG but not better MPD(ollar).

On the other hand, if you are looking at a 15,000lb 5er, lots of miles including towing regularly in the mountains, jumping up to a 1ton diesel, starts becoming much more appealing.

It's not as bad as the 1/2 ton trucks but there still is a fair amount of variability in the payload and towing specs for a 3/4 ton, so a blanket statement about 3/4 ton doesn't mean much unless you are way overkill for the trailer and any 3/4 ton will do.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Are you going to be looking a new or used 3/4 ton trucks and will you be towing or carrying a RV...and what type rv and how heavy is your RV.
If used I would look at a F250 if your looking at hauling a heavy truck camper or 3200-3300 lb hitch loads. If you get a F250 with the camper pack or heavy service pack then the truck comes with the same suspension as a F350 srw. The F250 has std leaf spring suspension.

Wait 2 years if your asking about a new truck. Like Rick says a whole new game change with our trucks can happen in 2 years.

We will be going new. The current trailer we have is only 1200kgs. The reality is, we may want a bigger one one day and don't want to be limited by our tow vehicle.

I know a lot can happen in 2 years. I also know some vehicles have known problems that seem to never be resolved.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

A lot depends on what you are pulling and how often you are pulling.

If it's a small 6000lb trailer and a couple thousand miles flatland towing per year, I wouldn't pay for diesel, it's not needed and you will never recoup the up front cost in fuel savings. Heck diesel is now typically more than gas per gallon, so you may get better MPG but not better MPD(ollar).

On the other hand, if you are looking at a 15,000lb 5er, lots of miles including towing regularly in the mountains, jumping up to a 1ton diesel, starts becoming much more appealing.

It's not as bad as the 1/2 ton trucks but there still is a fair amount of variability in the payload and towing specs for a 3/4 ton, so a blanket statement about 3/4 ton doesn't mean much unless you are way overkill for the trailer and any 3/4 ton will do.

One reason for going diesel is that as the world switches to electric vehicles, diesel will be one of the last types to disappear.

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I am thinking of going diesel.” That will cost you payload but depending your trailer it might not matter.

Regarding changes in two years, with all the automakers R&D going into electric, I don’t think there will be many.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even staying with gas, the 6.4 Ram and the new 7.3 Ford are capable of towing 6500-7000 kg. And the new trannies are apparently doing well. So a diesel isn't necessarily needed even with a larger trailer.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

My coil springs are rated for 6500 lbs, WAY more than a 10,000 lbs class limited truck needs. Also I've noticed Fords have a saggy suspension with weight, something I haven't seen with the newer Rams. I respectfully disagree with your comment.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

My coil springs are rated for 6500 lbs, WAY more than a 10,000 lbs class limited truck needs. Also I've noticed Fords have a saggy suspension with weight, something I haven't seen with the newer Rams. I respectfully disagree with your comment.

Thats fine...My thinking was if the OP was going with a heavy truck camper.
Those that have the 2500 Ram/heavy TC say they have sag and sway issues. BUt if the OP goes with a 12k 5th wheel trailer it should be fine.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F 250 vs Ram 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.