Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: F 250 vs Ram 2500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F 250 vs Ram 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

The 2500 Ram has coils springs on the rear. Not the best for max loads.

My coil springs are rated for 6500 lbs, WAY more than a 10,000 lbs class limited truck needs. Also I've noticed Fords have a saggy suspension with weight, something I haven't seen with the newer Rams. I respectfully disagree with your comment.

Same here, no issues with mine at all and I have a heavy flatbed on mine and load either a golf cart or 4 wheeler with the trailer hitched. I did add air bags though.

2020 Ram 3500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Big Horn
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I said open the HOOD. YIPEE your oil filter has easier access, from below. I simply remove air intake and RnR my oil filter from above.

Both of my fuel filters are easy to access.

I have owned the 68 RFE and AISIN they are both USMade.

Cummins US Made

Power Stroke Made in Mexico

Cummins doesn’t need 8 or 10 speeds. Think we have beat that subject to death.

I just go in from the passenger side fender. I bought the plug for the top of the oil filter and I can have the old one off and the new one on in about 5 minutes. I don't see the big issue with it. Knocking on wood, my 68RFE has been pretty good so far, I do agree with Grit that it seems to shift a little soft. But at least I don't have to worry about lifting heads or if I get a little bit of water in my fuel and the engine blowing up.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas engine in the shop, figure $400.00 for pulling into the bay. Diesel figure a grand!

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mudfuel07 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I said open the HOOD. YIPEE your oil filter has easier access, from below. I simply remove air intake and RnR my oil filter from above.

Cummins US Made

I just go in from the passenger side fender. I bought the plug for the top of the oil filter and I can have the old one off and the new one on in about 5 minutes. I don't see the big issue with it. Knocking on wood, my 68RFE has been pretty good so far, I do agree with Grit that it seems to shift a little soft. But at least I don't have to worry about lifting heads or if I get a little bit of water in my fuel and the engine blowing up.

Same here , did it “ ONCE” thru the top ,that was enough of that . Thru the fender is much easier .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Gas engine in the shop, figure $400.00 for pulling into the bay. Diesel figure a grand!

Had the fan pulley bolts come loose on my Cummins diesel, pulled into the bay , and out for $300. They must of had a discount that day [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mudfuel07 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins US Made

Run Tow Haul and the shifts will be better. I like from the top because you can look at the turbo and toe boost pipe below intake. My boost pipe was getting chafed and would head blown if I had not looked. Replaced under warranty. Don't need any special tools from the top or the chance of spilling as I pre fill my filter as suggested by cummins.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

spoon059 wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

The 2500 Ram has coils springs on the rear. Not the best for max loads.

My coil springs are rated for 6500 lbs, WAY more than a 10,000 lbs class limited truck needs. Also I've noticed Fords have a saggy suspension with weight, something I haven't seen with the newer Rams. I respectfully disagree with your comment.

Thats fine...My thinking was if the OP was going with a heavy truck camper.
Those that have the 2500 Ram/heavy TC say they have sag and sway issues. BUt if the OP goes with a 12k 5th wheel trailer it should be fine.

Hen you can get the air bag option that will level the truck out. But I’ve yet to hear a complaint from anyone with coil springs on a 3/4 ton.

That's because you don't hang out on the TC forum [emoticon]

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/21 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

One reason for going diesel is that as the world switches to electric vehicles, diesel will be one of the last types to disappear.

I take it you aren't familiar with the refining process. What do you think they are going to do with the gasoline that comes out of each barrel?

They can tweak the gasoline to diesel a little by the refining process but there is always a substantial amount of gasoline produced even when tweaked for maximum diesel.

Also, what do you think will happen to the roads when they no longer have the asphalt for asphalt concrete (hint: Portland cement concrete consumes huge amounts of petroleum products)

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

swimmer_spe wrote:

One reason for going diesel is that as the world switches to electric vehicles, diesel will be one of the last types to disappear.

I take it you aren't familiar with the refining process. What do you think they are going to do with the gasoline that comes out of each barrel?

They can tweak the gasoline to diesel a little by the refining process but there is always a substantial amount of gasoline produced even when tweaked for maximum diesel.

Also, what do you think will happen to the roads when they no longer have the asphalt for asphalt concrete (hint: Portland cement concrete consumes huge amounts of petroleum products)

This is not about the refining process, but the engines that run off them. More and more manufacturers are moving away from gasoline engines. There will be a tipping point that will have all new ICE running diesel. So, before the manufacturers go completely electric, diesels will be the last hold out.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ha!!!

The old switheroo in these projections !

Before diesel became popular for non-working trucks...diesel was often half to even 1/3rd the cost of gasoline...

EV’s will still need asphalt, which has a crude component.

Plastic is now being considered as a filler for asphalt and hope it comes. As ground up tires has been GREAT filler for asphalt

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F 250 vs Ram 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.