cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locking Fuel Door (E450 Chassis)

jyh818
Explorer
Explorer
Got the new 2021 Jayco class C RV with the E450 cab. The fuel filler is open to thieves and vandals. I have put a locking fuel door on both my Ford Superduties (Excursion and F350). I would like to do the same on the RV, but can't seem to find anything that can bolt right up. There is one with the correct size, but the holes don't align.

Wondering if there is anything out there or would this have to be custom made? I know that a locking gas cap is a possible solution, but would prefer a locking door.

Thanks.
2002 Ford Excursion XLT 6.8L V-10 2WD, 4.30 Limited Slip
Rear Hellwig Sway Bar
2009 Skyline Nomad 260
Prodigy Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift WD Hitch
9 REPLIES 9

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a good locking gas cap.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobndot wrote:
Mount a decal โ€œhazardous materialโ€.

Or mount a decal that says โ€œSEWAGE VENTโ€...........

See if anybody sticks a hose in that opening and sucks on it.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can vouch for the lack of PhDs. My thieves tried to pop the really flimsy plastic door - enough to crack it. Then stopped and cut the intake line to steal the fuel.

Had they just broken the door, they would have realized I had two tanks...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Wow ... drilling a hole in a gas tank to steal gas has got to be an act of dangerous desperation.

I doubt the people drilling holes in gas tanks are PhD candidates so, there's no danger or desperation (to them). ๐Ÿ™‚

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
A guess the above concern is one more reason why we "travel like a turtle" via traveliing in a small Class C that is our home right with us all the time and everywhere.

Wow ... drilling a hole in a gas tank to steal gas has got to be an act of dangerous desperation.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
If someone is going to steal gas from me, I'd rather have them siphon it. Modern fuel filler systems make siphoning difficult, so most thieves just drill a hole in the fuel tank anyway if they want to steal your fuel. High ground clearance and 55 gallons make an E450 a good target.

I would rather they do that, actually...that's what insurance is for.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mount a decal โ€œhazardous materialโ€.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
If someone is going to steal gas from me, I'd rather have them siphon it. Modern fuel filler systems make siphoning difficult, so most thieves just drill a hole in the fuel tank anyway if they want to steal your fuel. High ground clearance and 55 gallons make an E450 a good target.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
On my Winnebago Outlook E450, the fuel filler is behind a locked plastic door, similar to some electrical cord inlet covers.
Like most locks it will keep honest people honest, but would not take much to pull it open from a corner. That said, it wouldn't take much to pull open the filler door on my Honda, just would bend the metal.
In my 57 years of driving, I've never had an issue with someone tampering with my fuel.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.