Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pinched Propane line ideas??

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello all,

We have a small slide in our kitchen area that houses the stove and refrigerator. I typically run the fridge the day before leaving, load up, close slides and go. I noticed on a few trips that the fridge was not running when we get there. I assumed it blew out but had never had that issue before so I dug deeper. THen I noticed that the rubber propane line under the slide (From the main propane line to the fridge) was getting pinched when the slide closes. They have a spring attached to pull it in but it does not always land correctly. So now I check it every time, but there are creases in the line and it still seems to restrict flow sometimes, other times itโ€™s fine.

So for those of you with refrigerator in the slide out, have you seen this and how have you fixed it?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Do not use tape or pipe dope on 45ยฐ flared or reverse flared fittings. Yellow tape is for tapered pipe threads only when used for propane and natural gas.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes those are flare fittings. The sealing is the tapered part that is down inside what you see. The threaded nut is used to clamp the two tapered parts which is where the sealing is done.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roger10378 wrote:
Most likely you will have flare fittings to hook to. Never use sealant on flare fittings. If you have threaded fittings then you need sealant.

I would observe the line as the slide is moved in and out to see if a slightly longer or shorter hose would be less likely to kink. Then take the hose with you to your local propane dealer to have the hose you need made.

Thanks for the reply, but please help me understand the terminology. After reading this I figured "flare fittings" are the quick connect spring loaded type like I have for the RV grill. This is threaded on both ends and after doing a quick search I found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IZCNM28/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 This shows threads but also calls it flare fittings. So are you saying I should not use the yellow tape on these?

I will have to check the size and length of the existing but this looks like it will be perfect.

Thanks again all!

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely you will have flare fittings to hook to. Never use sealant on flare fittings. If you have threaded fittings then you need sealant.

I would observe the line as the slide is moved in and out to see if a slightly longer or shorter hose would be less likely to kink. Then take the hose with you to your local propane dealer to have the hose you need made.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yellow PTFE Tape for gas lines. Teflon tape is a brand name for one company's PTFE tape.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks all! I ha e never replaced a โ€œpermanentโ€ propane line/hose. As noted, this feeds from the metal โ€œmainโ€ and off into the 2 appliances. Easy enough to replace but is there some sort of sealant that should be used to avoid leaks similar to Teflon tape?

Thanks agai !

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
This is a common problem with rubber LP lines in slide outs. The BEST way to fix is, YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE LINE. Once it is kinked, there is no way it will stop kinking no matter how you route it. Now, when you replace the line, find a metal coil spring that will slide over the new Hose snug but not too loose. That metal spring cover will prevent the hose from kinking. IF you have room, you can install a longer replacement hose to then route it to prevent kinking when extending and retracting. MY preferred method is the Spring around the hose. Doug

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Find a propane distributor and have the service shop build a replacement, and see if you can route better so it doesn't pinch.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine