cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50amp EMS w/surge

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
Will The EMS-PT50X 50amp EMS operate properly if plugged into 30amps? Need to know before I commit...No response from Progressive Ind.
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber
21 REPLIES 21

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
The EMS-PT50X operates just fine when plugged into a 30a service, and is stated so on page 4 of the owners manual...

NOTE: Provided you have the proper adapter the EMS may be used with 15A, 20A or 30A service and will provide full protection; however, reduced power will be available so you should limit your power consumption.

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
If you can get the portable, but wire in a make and female plug in the compartment. This will keep it safe. And for whatever reason will be easy to bypass.

Hardwired version is easy to bypass. Simply flip a switch.

I donโ€™t believe it is on the Hughes Watchdog.

I dont know either. I was assuming this was in reference to the PI Hw50C mentioned earlier. I should have mentioned that model in my post.

Yes. I did research on both and that one does have the bypass feature. But I would`ve had to run the wire for the remote display. this one is Bluetooth. but as I found out the range is small.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:
ScottG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
If you can get the portable, but wire in a make and female plug in the compartment. This will keep it safe. And for whatever reason will be easy to bypass.

I dont know either. I was assuming this was in reference to the PI Hw50C mentioned earlier. I should have mentioned that model in my post.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
dodge guy wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
dodge guy wrote:

Route_66_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Progressive PT50X 50amp and it works just fine from a 30 amp source or my Predator 3500 generator. I have also had to use it at Campgrounds that only had 30 amp hookups by using the provided 50 to 30 amp adapter from Progressive.

I prefer to have the portable unit because I can check the power before parking at a campsite, plus if something does go wrong with the unit it won't stink up the RV with smoke.

This is my second unit from Progressive. My first one had the cord come loose from the plug. It still worked OK but it was hanging from the wires and not the cord. Progressive replaced it within 7 days from the time I submitted a warranty claim...great customer service.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I chose the hard wired version for 2 reasons:
1. Always installed
2. Inside remote

One time installation of course.

Mine cost $0.00

Well OK Paid for it in 2005 and hence no cost for current RV.

Usage tip: Always have all high amp loads off when connecting or disconnecting power which reduces AC arcing on the relay contacts.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the info...

Now to get rid of my EMS-PT30-C...

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Use a dog bone 30 to 50 adapter before the EMS. All will be well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
And Bobs your uncle :W (insert mic drop here).

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Letโ€™s try some clarification: Yes if you short the 2 hots on the 50A pedestal the CB will trip. But that is not what the 30/50A RV adapter does. The adapters 30A male ground is connected to the 50A female ground plug. Neutral is connected to neutral. The 30A hot wire is connected to both of the 50A hot wires. This provides 120V to both hot legs so that the RVers has the convenience of 120V at all locations in the RV. An adapter that connects only one leg of the 50A cord would be a non RV product.

A EMS that detected the lack of 240V and blocked power or only allowed power to one leg would also be a non RV product since the user wants 120V everywhere in the RV.

Fortunately EMS units have no 240V related restrictions and they work as expected with a 30/50 adapter or a 20/50 adapter or with 50A and they detect a variety of faults. My PI unit has 11 error codes and between it and the pedestal CB the RV is provided significant protection.

Virtually all 50A RVs have the above 2 adapters. And many have the full power function EMS units.

The 50A pedestal power comes from a transformer secondary center tapped winding. The Center tap is the neutral. Because the power comes from a single winding it can only be single phase. Yes you can assume that the neutral is the reference are refer to it as 2 phases as is sometimes done. Typical home power is the same except that itโ€™s higher amps like 200A. But both the 50A pedestal and home power is single phase. Wikipedia has explanations on this.

I can only recall one post from a RVer that was in a mobile home park that had 120/208V power. That is part of 3 phase power and the 2 legs are 120 degrees apart. But since itโ€™s a rare RV with 240V appliances there wonโ€™t be a issue.

The bottom line is that the adapters and EMS units work well and provide reasonable options for connecting a 50A RV to 20A or 30A.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

:R

Connect L1 and L2 together on a proper 120/240 circuit and see what happens..

L1 and L2 are 180 degrees "out of phase" compared to each other and even the neutral and that IS correct.

When L1 is going in positive direction L2 is going in a negative direction. When L1 is going negative the L2 is going positive.

And there is ZERO "wrong" with what I posted.

The problem you have is "semantics".

There are 30A to 50A dogbones that only supply L1 with 120V connection and there are 30A to 50A dogbones that will connect both L1 and L2 to the single 120V 30A power source..

As I told the OP, all they can do is try it, if their dogbone does not connect both L1 and L2 together then their EMS will not allow voltage to pass..

However a REAL "EMS" in theory should not allow ANY voltage pass that has the exact same direction waveform on L1 and L2 as that is a violation..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

Never too late to learn something.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I just installed a Watchdog today. The system doesnโ€™t know that you are splitting the power coming in. It just wants to see 2 120V circuits and a good ground and neutral. The only thing you have to watch (the EMS will do it too) is how many amps you are pulling. It will shut down early if it sees the voltage too low.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is