Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Help with zirk fittings
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help with zirk fittings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is fair to say that the grease should not be passing the seal, and contaminating the brakes. Follow manufacturer's instructions, and best to do this service, when hubs/grease are warm from use.

I can see the rear seals on my trailer, by using an inspection light, looking at back side of brake assembly. Mine has a couple small holes, above the brake adjusting hole. By using this bright LED exam light in one hole, looking in the other hole, I can actually read the numbers on the seal.

Jerry

[image]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Avoid the headaches. Just do not use the zerk fittings. A manual inspection is required anyway. So you may as well repack the bearings by hand then,

Anything else is just a guess.

True on the guess. Plus, as the bearings warm, if the chamber between the bearings is MT, there is less pressure on the seal, less chance of leak.
I have heard it said "As the bearing gets hot that grease can flow in" But if you look at how hot grease must be to flow, and understand the source of the heat is the bearing, long before the grease in center starts to flow, the grease in the bearing has burnt off, and bearing is burnt to the point axle and hub are scrap.
And look at the design. You pump grease in the inner bearing. That dirty grease is pumped out into the chamber between. Grease is pumped out of that chamber into outer bearing. Say the gods are all smiling on you, and you replace all that dirty grease out of that inner bearing, where does it go? Sooner or later that dirty grease must go thru the outer bearing.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^??
You’re talking about a bearing buddy, not an easy lube which is what is on most RV axles.
But regardless, the bearing cops showed up right on cue to tell the OP that he is going to burn up his bearings if he doesn’t disassemble and repack them the old fashioned way.
Do you guys ever get tired of the same old stories?
Of course it’s better to hand pack the bearings, but it’s also worse to not have enough grease in there and that can be cured quickly and easily with a few shots from a grease gun through the EZ lube.

Maybe we can pretend that there’s generally more than one “ok” way to skin a cat for once?

* This post was edited 04/18/21 01:53pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Itakethe5th2011

Moreno Valley, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I bought a 5th wheel with grease able hubs. I fallowed the manufactory recommendation, jacking tire off the ground and slowly turning tire as I greased the hub. Took about a half a tube per hub. The following year I pulled the drums off to check brakes and found 3 of 4 brake shoes had grease on them. I called Dexter axle at the timed spoked to a tech, who said the the grease able hubs have been around a long time. They were designed for boat trailer, to push water out of hubs. The RV industry had jumped on the band wagon as a selling point. His recommendation was to inspect once a year for possible grease by-passing seal. You can take your chance on brake shoe contamination and not stopping when you need them or do it the right way and hand pack bearings. My trailer brakes are to important to me to take the easy way out and just pump grease into the hub and hope the seal won't leak.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, so i have the ez lube axels or whatever they are called now. I will use them after i finish my break job. I really dont see how a normal hand pumped grease gun will push out the back seal. Hell, i have a hard enough time trying to pry out the rear seal with a hammer to repack them. The new seal is always tight goung in also. I can see if you re use an old seal, or dont put the seal in correctly that you might blow out the rear seal. But under normal operation. I cant see it happening. Now with that said, i would repack by hand every 5 years or so to check the bearings and races and such. But i plan on using the ez lubes for a few years for annual greasing after its set up.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Ok, so i have the ez lube axels or whatever they are called now. I will use them after i finish my break job. I really dont see how a normal hand pumped grease gun will push out the back seal. Hell, i have a hard enough time trying to pry out the rear seal with a hammer to repack them. The new seal is always tight goung in also. I can see if you re use an old seal, or dont put the seal in correctly that you might blow out the rear seal. But under normal operation. I cant see it happening. Now with that said, i would repack by hand every 5 years or so to check the bearings and races and such. But i plan on using the ez lubes for a few years for annual greasing after its set up.

GREASE GUNS EXPLAINED

"A high-pressure manual grease gun is designed to deliver from 2,000 to 15,000 psi. Applying too much pressure while greasing will damage the bearing seals, which rarely handle more than 500 psi."

Should be a "no brainer" since even the cheapest of the cheapest grease guns will easily develop more than 500 PSI. Some guns may have an adjustable relief valve but that would require calibration.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brake job?? You mean brake adjustment? If you are actually doing a brake job, with hub disassembled, then I'd hand pack at this time, and not add grease for several years.

Otherwise, your plan should work to do a complete check every 5 yrs, depending on miles/use. The obvious though, a brake problem, a hot hub after towing, needs to be checked out.

I have used the EZ lube on 3 different trailers. I did find one seal that was leaking, causing some contamination, while doing a complete inspection. So yes, it happens, but I am not afraid to use the system as designed.

Jerry

FordMastertech

Burlington CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think about this, if the hub is packed full of grease using these EZ lube bearing buddy type axles on drum brakes what is going to happen when the axles hub gets hot, the grease is going to expand and the only place has to go is in the brake drums past the seal and contaminate the brake shoes.

Tim & Donna ">
04 Prowler 830Y lots of mods 5200 lbs Axles 16 inch LT E tires
00 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD Pullrite Prodigy Autometer Gauges Magnaflow Exhaust DP Tuner Chip Terminator Big Oil ">

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

It’s not going to push the seal out of the hub. It can and will push the grease past the lip of the seal though.
This maybe why the staunch recommendations to not use this, as many don’t understand what’s going on in the hubs.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FordMastertech wrote:

Think about this, if the hub is packed full of grease using these EZ lube bearing buddy type axles on drum brakes what is going to happen when the axles hub gets hot, the grease is going to expand and the only place has to go is in the brake drums past the seal and contaminate the brake shoes.

True, if you actually got it within say 5-10% of completely full.
You can over grease, many things and this is no exception.
Care and a bit of knowledge is required.

But you’re right, you don’t even want the cavity that full. More like half full of grease in between the bearings, tops is what I shoot for.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Help with zirk fittings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.